Shipping question - weight of package?

Our site is using real time rate calculation for both USPS and UPS and I have found it to be very accurate. However, on small and even some large orders, the quote is not accurate because of the weight of the package.

We sell many books that are .95 of a lb but the envelope is .15 lb (or 2.5 oz). It will cause the shipment to round up to the next lb, the cost of which we have to eat.

How does anyone else handle this? Nothing in the shipping charges options really solves this problem. We could just add a small charge to the order but this would increase shipping costs across the board. It would be great if there was a way to add weight to the order based on the number of items. A few items would add the weight of a small envelope. A large amount of items would add more weight for a bigger box.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

Daniel,

We add an additional percentage to the actual products weight to cover the packaging weight (tare), for example if your actual product weight is 1 Lb, then you may want to enter the products weight as 1.05 Lbs or 1.1 Lbs, whatever makes the most sense for your product offerings. With a little experimenting, you can get your realtime rate calculations nearly spot on to match what your actual shipping costs will be.

Thanks for the reply Struck. I have considered doing that and it would work well for small orders. However, wouldn't it eventually have a negative impact on larger orders as the weight of each product has been inflated? The manager at our company is worried about the customer's being dissatisfied because of high shipping fees.

Thanks,

Daniel

[quote name='dhumphreys' timestamp='1364571377' post='158955']

Thanks for the reply Struck. I have considered doing that and it would work well for small orders. However, wouldn't it eventually have a negative impact on larger orders as the weight of each product has been inflated? The manager at our company is worried about the customer's being dissatisfied because of high shipping fees.

Thanks,

Daniel

[/quote]

Not a problem as long as you choose the most logical tare amount added to your products weight, if done correctly it actually becomes a “more” accurate simulation to your actual shipment costs the larger your orders become! (Also, keep in mind when determining your additional tare amount that all parcel carriers always round up to the next full Lb.)

You can fine tune this additional tare amount added to your products (1.01, 1.02, etc.) until you find the magic figure by doing some simulated shipments and comparing to your actual carrier costs.

We ship everything from USPS Flat rate envelopes to multiple package Fedex Ground shipments in the 300-400 Lb combined weight range to several thousand pound LTL truck shipments, all calculated & processed directly through the cart. (Only the accuracy of our LTL truck shipment costs are of concern, all other methods are nearly spot on. However, we will soon have realtime LTL rates as well.)

Thanks Struck. If I could ask your advice, considering that most of the products that we offer are books in the .5 - 1.2 lb range, what do you think would be a good “tare” amount?

Thanks,

Daniel

I want to be in control of my shipping rather than use real time.

Weight based shipping is working for me on default localization. (UK)

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:6969]

Any reason it doesn't work when you introduce USA or Ireland in the exact same procedure localizing everything?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:6970]

Wildcards have been inserted on them too.