server running 64-bit?

one of my stores is still running v1.3.5. my host has recently moved our site to new server, but problem occurs about the allowed memory size exhausted… needs to move back. they ‘said’ it is because the new server is 64-bit that handles over 4gb of memory is not compatiable with old cart … does it make sense?

[quote name=‘grabbags’]one of my stores is still running v1.3.5. my host has recently moved our site to new server, but problem occurs about the allowed memory size exhausted… needs to move back. they ‘said’ it is because the new server is 64-bit that handles over 4gb of memory is not compatible with old cart … does it make sense?[/QUOTE]

Whoever told you that 64-bit “is not compatible” is completely ignorant and totally wrong!

Also because they brought out the 4GB point specifically, I would take a guess that the person who told you that is one of those many imbeciles out there who think you have to have at least 4 GB to use 64 bit — that too is wrong incidentally.

Give me all of 2 seconds with the server and I could tell you exactly what is really going on and exactly precisely why the problem is occurring and what needs to be done to fix it too!

I already have my suspicions what is really going on but, the one thing I can tell you with 100% certainty though right now is that your problem has absolutely NOTHING to do with 64 bit!

(Also there is no need to move any sites back to the original server as that is a lot of pointless extra work when there is absolutely no need to do so plus that wreaks havoc on the DNS and domain names changing servers and changing again and again :wink: )

Please share what needs to be done. Thank you!

Just a follow up on this thread for the benefit of anyone following and a bit of a recap with what grabbags and I have discussed privately …

The primary issue in this case appears to have been a memory misconfiguration where their hosting provider had thought they set one memory limit (192 MB) but actually in reality set something quite different from a simple typo (12 MB) but that issue seems to be all sorted out now with a new memory limit set between those.

I have not received enough information back from grabbags yet to adequately diagnose a secondary issue mentioned but based on the initial information I have been provided, I strongly suspect that issue is going to be related to permissions and / or function restrictions configured with their hosting provider.

Regarding the original question and topic of this thread — 64 bit and CS-Cart.

Yes, CS-Cart works perfectly fine on 64-bit servers if not a whole lot better as 64-bit operating systems can address more memory space natively than 32-bit systems and generally maintain much better performance overall especially when getting into cpu or memory intensive functions such as processing database queries which is almost exclusively exactly what CS-Cart does continuously in everything it does!

I have personally observed hundreds of CS-Cart installations at different hosts and different configurations and by and far if I had to any one system on the 32-bit or 64-bit question that operated more reliably or performed better than I would have to give credit to 64-bit systems on both of those points.

Hello, I think the 12mb is because of

@ini_set('memory_limit', '12M'); define in config.php

[quote name=‘grabbags’]Hello, I think the 12mb is because of

@ini_set('memory_limit', '12M'); define in config.php[/quote]

Not quite.

Server admins can specify an amount of memory that can be used by the server and/or by client. In this case the server admin mistakenly set it for 12mb instead of 192mb.

Even if the value was changed in the config.local.php file it can not exceed the value set by the server administrator.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Not quite.

Server admins can specify an amount of memory that can be used by the server and/or by client. In this case the server admin mistakenly set it for 12mb instead of 192mb.

Even if the value was changed in the config.local.php file it can not exceed the value set by the server administrator.[/QUOTE]

Hello! Jesse. This is the error I found in the error_log generated by CS-CART. The 12m is the default value written in cs-cart config file. Once I change the value, it feel like my site is loading faster. Let me see how it goes when more concurrent connection accessing the store on Monday. Thank you!