Server Load question

Does anyone else who has a VPS or Dedicated Server notice under WHM > Health > Process Manager (or run top from ssh) that when you load any CS-Cart page it takes at least 10-15% of your CPU. Is that normal?

[quote name='solesurvivor' timestamp='1323104113' post='127287']

Does anyone else who has a VPS or Dedicated Server notice under WHM > Health > Process Manager (or run top from ssh) that when you load any CS-Cart page it takes at least 10-15% of your CPU. Is that normal?

[/quote]

I've got 2 ecommerce sites (one Interspire, one CS-Cart) on one dedicated server and my CPU usage doesn't exceed 1% when loading a page - I assume you have compression-related functions such as gZip, JS and CSS compression enabled in your config file?

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1323109277' post='127291']

I've got 2 ecommerce sites (one Interspire, one CS-Cart) on one dedicated server and my CPU usage doesn't exceed 1% when loading a page - I assume you have compression-related functions such as gZip, JS and CSS compression enabled in your config file?

[/quote]

Wow. Yes I have gzip, css compression. I just loaded a category page (on the second visit) and the load hit 56% just for a second but still seems pretty high. I'm using a VPS with two gigs of ram I think.

Do you have Filters enabled on your category page? I wonder if all my product filters are causing a high load?

[quote name='solesurvivor' timestamp='1323109664' post='127294']

Wow. Yes I have gzip, css compression. I just loaded a category page (on the second visit) and the load hit 56% just for a second but still seems pretty high. I'm using a VPS with two gigs of ram I think.

Do you have Filters enabled on your category page? I wonder if all my product filters are causing a high load?

[/quote]

I (currently) do not have any filters set up. 56% does seem very high, what other addons have you got installed? It isn't easy in a production environment but I would disable all enabled addons, then enable one at a time to find the problem, although I'm sure this isn't the first time I've read about filters causing a high load on the server.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1323110327' post='127296']

I (currently) do not have any filters set up. 56% does seem very high, what other addons have you got installed? It isn't easy in a production environment but I would disable all enabled addons, then enable one at a time to find the problem, although I'm sure this isn't the first time I've read about filters causing a high load on the server.

[/quote]

Wish List, Tags, Store Locator, Statistics, SMS notifications, SEO, Send the page link to a friend,

Required products, Recurring Billing, Quick Search, Quickbooks, Polls, News & Email, My Changes, Hot Deals, Horiztonal Menu, Gift Cert, Form Builder, customers also bought, comments and reviews, best sellers, banners management, banner slideshow, attachments, age verification, access restrictions.

Some of these I could actually disable if it would help like age verification, quick books, polls, store locator, tags, quickbooks, customers also bought, best sellers.

If you use a low-end VPS, this is normal when using suPHP permissions.

Specifically it will be 'index.php' loading

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1323113537' post='127299']

If you use a low-end VPS, this is normal when using suPHP permissions.

Specifically it will be 'index.php' loading

[/quote]

What do you consider low-end? My WHM shows my php handler as suPHP. Is there a better way to run PHP?

I have a VPS VM5 with Future Hosting Nexcess | Managed Hosting for Magento, WordPress & More

I thought that was pretty good.

Allen from ServINT summed this up for me, hopefully it's adequate to understand why it's so difficult to give hard estimates these days. Generally speaking, it's best to ask around, while CS-Cart can be called a resource-hog at times, it's typically due to either inadequate configuration (Server & CS-Cart) and/or hardware provisioned by the host.

[quote]Virtuozzo is our base virtualization software that all of our standard solutions run on. Each virtual environment (VE) is set up with an equal share CPU. We set up Essential and Signature VPS packages on the same host servers, so the weighted count of an Essential VPS is 1 share, where the Signature gets 2. On an Essential VPS, if a host server has 40 total units on it, you will get 1/40th of the CPU. However, the account totals per host server fluctuate. So, if there are only 32 total units on the host node, for example, you would be guaranteed 1/32 of the CPU at that point. Because these are equal-share solutions, there is no guarantee for the processor speed on the Essential or Signature VPS packages, as it can change based on on the account types on the server, how many accounts are on the machine at a given time, and the particular machine specifications. Since the machines we use vary, there is no way to give a specific “per MHz” breakdown on the actual packages. Additionally, these machines are so powerful that it is not a fair estimation even if we were to say, for example, that each client gets “800 MHz per account unit”.[/quote]

To summarize, there is no unit of measurement when it comes to calculating the amount of hardware provided.

Due to the constant fluctuation, it's difficult to fully assess a host's capacity without testing them fully.

I'll post the entire conversations for you all to look into, I just ask that if you do decide to move - Please post me as your referral (Full disclosure: I get a month of free hosting (ServInt only), saves me paying pure cash).

All parts with italics, are my own additions

ServINT

[quote=David@ServInt]Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'David'

David: Hello!

Stringer: Hi David

David: How may I help you?

Stringer: I'm an existing customer, had a question with relation to cpu availability on the Signature VPS package

David: There is a post in the Knowledge Base regarding CPU allocation for each package tier. You can view this post through the following link:

David: https://knowledgebase.servint.net/questions/608/How+much+CPU+do+I+get+with+that%3F

Stringer: Thanks David.

David: The minimum VPS host server configuration is as follows:

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon L5300/L5400 Series CPUs #16 Vendor Genuine Intel Name Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz Speed 565.262 MHz Cache 8192 KB

32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Dual Rank, Fully Buffered RAM

David: You're welcome![/quote]

FutureHost

[quote]Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'James'

James: Hello, Welcome to Future Hosting. How may I assist you?

Jesse-Lee Stringer: Hi James,

James: Hi there

Jesse-Lee Stringer: Can you tell me what your CPU allocation policy is, more specifically what cpu's are used in the cPanel managed/unmanaged VPS's

James: We use equal share for our VPS nodes.

James: Equal share allows you to burst the CPU as needed. It gives you the ability to use more CPU when needed so the sites aren't slow; however, if there is ever an abusive user it can cause your system to slow down. We implement a number of system tools to ensure quality of service to all users.

James: All nodes have at least 4 - 8 CPUs, 8 - 32 GB RAM and Raid 10 with SA-SCSI drives for fast I/O

Jesse-Lee Stringer: Could I get an minimum provision of CPU cycles on the VM 1 VPS system?

Jesse-Lee Stringer: Equal share is great, but I'm looking for the base cycle available to me at all times

James: We use Virtuozzos cpuunits concept, all VPSs on it will have 1000 cpuunits.

Jesse-Lee Stringer: So minimum being 1000 cpuunits? Last question what is the standard CPU used in said VPS?

James: They are dual quad core Intel Xeon processors.

Jesse-Lee Stringer: Thank you for the information James, appreciate you helping me out

[/quote]

ServINT (Second time)

[quote]Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Allen'

Allen: Hello!

Allen: How may I help you?

Stringer: HI Allen, I just spoke with David with regards to 'VPU's and the method of calculating CPU availability - I have one more question

Stringer: A competing VPS vendor measures VPU's as 'CPU-Units', not exactly sure here but they said it was measured by Virtuizzo

Stringer: Can you tell me in Layman terms, should I measure based upon VPU or CPU-Units?

Allen: Virtuozzo is our base virtualization software that all of our standard solutions run on. Each virtual environment (VE) is set up with an equal share CPU. We set up Essential and Signature VPS packages on the same host servers, so the weighted count of an Essential VPS is 1 share, where the Signature gets 2. On an Essential VPS, if a host server has 40 total units on it, you will get 1/40th of the CPU. However, the account totals per host server fluctuate. So, if there are only 32 total units on the host node, for example, you would be guaranteed 1/32 of the CPU at that point. Because these are equal-share solutions, there is no guarantee for the processor speed on the Essential or Signature VPS packages, as it can change based on on the account types on the server, how many accounts are on the machine at a given time, and the particular machine specifications. Since the machines we use vary, there is no way to give a specific “per MHz” breakdown on the actual packages. Additionally, these machines are so powerful that it is not a fair estimation even if we were to say, for example, that each client gets “800 MHz per account unit”.

Stringer: Basically 'easy' share is a term to say, you get what you pay for, divided by the amount of accounts on the server at any one time

Allen: Basically, yes.

Stringer: FutureHost.com have the same sort of configuration, but refused to give me a base CPU that they would use

Stringer: I guess I could see it this way, If a single server had 1000 accounts with 'equalshare' I would have 2/1000th of CPU on the Signature plan

Stringer: Just making sure the analogy fits before concluding research - Is there a total number of units that will be placed on one server? ie max 50/100?

Allen: On Essential and Signature host nodes there is a hard limit of 30-35 units per machine, depending on the server's exact specifications.

Stringer: I see and my current signature server has 16 cores of the following which would be broken up into 35 total VPS accounts:Processor #16 Vendor Genuine Intel Name Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz Speed 565.262 MHz Cache 8192 KB

Allen: Signature VPS host machines have a hard cap of 24. Essential+ host machines are capped at 32 and Essential host machines are capped at 40.

Stringer: So the higher up I go, the less I have to share overtime

Allen: Exactly. This also differs on Ultimate and SuperVPS host nodes however. The maximum number of account on an Ultimate VPS host server is 16, whereas, we place a maximum of 8 SuperVPS accounts on a SuperVPS host node. At which point, each Ultimate VPS is guaranteed 1/2 of a core of processing power, and a SuperVPS is guaranteed and entire core of CPU.

Stringer: Thank you very much sir, I'll have a few client referrals for you next week at this rate.

Stringer: Great to see a company that cares about their servers more than their checkbook!

Allen: I am very pleased to hear that! Thank you for your kind words![/quote]

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’ timestamp=‘1323117914’ post=‘127304’]

Allen from ServINT summed this up for me, hopefully it’s adequate to understand why it’s so difficult to give hard estimates these days. Generally speaking, it’s best to ask around, while CS-Cart can be called a resource-hog at times, it’s typically due to either inadequate configuration (Server & CS-Cart) and/or hardware provisioned by the host.

To summarize, there is no unit of measurement when it comes to calculating the amount of hardware provided.

Due to the constant fluctuation, it’s difficult to fully assess a host’s capacity without testing them fully.

I’ll post the entire conversations for you all to look into, I just ask that if you do decide to move - Please post me as your referral (Full disclosure: I get a month of free hosting (ServInt only), saves me paying pure cash).

All parts with italics, are my own additions

ServINT

FutureHost

ServINT (Second time)

[/quote]

Wow thats a lot of info to swallow. funny thing i compared both future and servint when looking for a host and it sounded as if both were basically the same. sadly neither offer a trial so i had to shell out a whole month to find out. i literally just setup with futurehost a week ago. :( The support seems very friendly but that only will get me so far. I seem to be striking out with hosting companies just a few weeks ago i had an account wired tree that didnt perform well for me either. maybe its just me. lol

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1323109277' post='127291']

[/quote]

Stellar,

I wondered when you said your load doesn't exceed 1% are you looking at top in ssh and

referring to the CPU(s) or are you looking at the individual row/column of the php instance

when you load a page. I'm looking at the individual PID line of PHP when it loads for

anywhere from 1-2 seconds.

Also what php5 handler are you using SUphp or DSO or FASTCGI?

(as listed under WHM Service Configuration >> Configure PHP and SuExec.

[quote name=‘solesurvivor’ timestamp=‘1323118342’ post=‘127305’]

Wow thats a lot of info to swallow. funny thing i compared both future and servint when looking for a host and it sounded as if both were basically the same. sadly neither offer a trial so i had to shell out a whole month to find out. i literally just setup with futurehost a week ago. :( The support seems very friendly but that only will get me so far. I seem to be striking out with hosting companies just a few weeks ago i had an account wired tree that didnt perform well for me either. maybe its just me. lol

[/quote]

I moved two accounts from WiredTree because they failed to update the core-operating system. Apparently it’s an additional cost to have unmanaged cPanel licenses, self-updating.

Also, load is variable since it’s based upon the amount of CPU being used against the total server availability.

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1323120034' post='127307']

I moved two accounts from WiredTree because they failed to update the core-operating system. Apparently it's an additional cost to have unmanaged cPanel licenses, self-updating.

Also, load is variable since it's based upon the amount of CPU being used against the total server availability.

[/quote]

i have cpanel managed but the performance seemeed undependable sometimes pages loaded in 3-5 sometimes 10-15 seconds. I am hoping Future Hosting will work out for me. I'm tired of having to switch. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake not choosing servint.

Solsurvivor,

I just thought I'd post the answer ti your private mail here for others to read:

I'm extremely happy with a hybrid VPS on futurehosting, running suphp (which I can really recommend for cs-cart).

I am running 2 webshops on it, one with 250 products and loads of features, one more basic, plus 4 wordpress sites, with quite some heavy stuff (lots of plugins & pictures, etc) and with google mod_pagespeed which supposedly is server heavy. Never had one hickup. I did have somebody setup (harden and tune) my vps for me and also future hosting did some tweaks for me.

They also give out regular upgrades, they just added 0,5 gb of memory and 20gb of diskspace to my vps without me asking.

If your shop seems slow, no matter which host you have, if support is good they will try to help you out.

We have been with Futurehosting.com since March of this year and we are still pleased with their service. We did end up upgrading to a dedicated server (which is probably overkill), but it has worked out well. Support has helped tweak the server many times and they are very fast at responses or explanations.

[quote name='clips' timestamp='1323227408' post='127402']

We have been with Futurehosting.com since March of this year and we are still pleased with their service. We did end up upgrading to a dedicated server (which is probably overkill), but it has worked out well. Support has helped tweak the server many times and they are very fast at responses or explanations.

[/quote]

What dedicated server are you using? i was considering an upgrade i'm concerned the vps i have

wont be as fast as i need. my homepage takes about 3-5 seconds to load and subsequent pages are the same.

im coming from anothr solution that loaded in about 1.5 seconds so three is hard to swallow. how quick do your pages load?