seo people please give me your insight...

I have a domain that consistently ranks in the top 5 for relevant keywords without me having to do anything except build content. I’ll call it maindomain.com.

When I first opened my store in 2002, I put it at

store.maindomain.com

When I switched to cs-cart in 2009, I opened the store under a new domain:

newdomain.com

I wasn’t thinking straight.

I kept store.maindomain.com online (without accepting orders) and linked it to newdomain.com. Many pages are Redirect 301’d and others require the user to click a link.

newdomain.com sucks in the search engines.

store.maindomain.com is still in the top 5 for relevant keywords.

Should I move my cs-cart store to store.maindomain.com?

Can I put it on something like newdomain.maindomain.com with similar results?

Or do I stick it out on newdomain.com?

Was store.maindomain.com a cs-cart or another cart? If it was cs-cart too, then there’s something seriously wrong, especially if you’ve held ranking after the store.maindomain.com is 301 redirecting pages to newdomain.com… What the engines should be doing with the 301 is dropping the old url and substituting the new one. Hence ranking should remain the same.

Assuming you have the basics of good page titles, meta data and roughly the same content.

What am I missing here?

store.maindomain.com was another cart. The product page urls are all different, therefore I did not simply redirect one domain to the other. store.maindomain.com can still be accessed and many of its pages still exist in the search engines. I have redirected some of the product pages over, not all.

On further inspection, newdomain.com isn’t performing that bad, however, everything I put on maindomain.com seems to turn to gold in the search engines so I wondered if it would be worth going back to a subdomain of it.

Possibly… If you have high ranking for the subdomain, adding a new subdomain to a high ranking domain might work for a while.

But I think I’d try to figure out why my rankings with the same products are bad on one cart and good on another…

[QUOTE]When I first opened my store in 2002, I put it at

store.maindomain.com

When I switched to cs-cart in 2009, I opened the store under a new domain:

newdomain.com

I wasn’t thinking straight.

I kept store.maindomain.com online (without accepting orders) and linked it to newdomain.com. Many pages are Redirect 301’d and others require the user to click a link.

newdomain.com sucks in the search engines.

store.maindomain.com is still in the top 5 for relevant keywords.[/QUOTE]

Your old subdomain is 7 years older as the new domain. So it can take e.g. next 7 years to get a good ranking position. What PR’s do have your domains?

maindomain.com - PR 6 (wow I can remember the good old days when it was 9 for a short time, right when they started doing PR)

store.maindomain.com - PR 5

newdomain.com - ( registered in 2008 ) - PR 5

I would recommend to move your old site (domain name) to the new one in ‘Webmaster Tools’.

[url]Transfer Site Hosting Without URL Changes | Google Search Central  |  Documentation  |  Google Developers

If you plan to only have one store then I would be neat and tidy and direct that store to the most popular domain.

Then or aternatively build a blog on the other domain with links into your store. Base the blog either on your site of related themes.