SEO Implications of moving from 2.25 to 3x?

As I understand it, I will need to do a fresh install of version 3x to a new folder and then use the import tool to get my data from 2.25 into the 'new' store.

Since this new version will be in a new folder, what are the implications to SEO since I assume all the page links are now different?

Are there other steps I need to take after performing the fresh install of 3x and import?

Once you are done upgrading and happy with your new shop, you obviously move your new shop to the location of your old shop :)

[quote name=‘Flow’ timestamp=‘1364995399’ post=‘159246’]

Once you are done upgrading and happy with your new shop, you obviously move your new shop to the location of your old shop :)

[/quote]

Is there a process to move the store … because I thought, and perhaps mistakenly, that there were file paths buried in the database and a straight copy to a new folder would not work?? Does deleting everything out of the the original folder, and then copying everything from the new folder in work??

Yes, you can just copy files and update the location of the shop in your config.local.php file

Seconding Flow's statement–it does work this way. Someone recommended I zip all my files, move them, then unzip them in the new location…easier to move them that way. Using this method, I now have three installs of CS-Cart on my domain…

mydomain.com/old (my old v2.2.5 site)

mydomain.com/test (my v3.0.6 test site for testing new addons, etc.)

mydomain.com/ (my actual web site running 3.0.6)

The first two both have the storefronts closed. I open them if I want to do testing, etc, then close them again.

Thanks for the input mates!

Just make sure your SEO add-on works exactly how it did before (you have options as to how it creates a url) - as long as the urls are identical to the old store, you shouldnt have any trouble with ranking. But if your URL is slighly different, for example from;

www.mysite.com/category/product/item.html

to something like;

www.mysite.com/category/product/item

This is seen as a differnt URL you'll need to setup 301 permanent redirects to show google the new location of your pages. (or wait until Google completely indexes it again!)

I switched in the same manner & I did notice a negative effect on my SER. Also the referrer doesn't seem to work in stats anymore either. Once in awhile it'll show an actual referrer with search terms, but usually it's just blank or says google with no additional information.