SEO enabled but now error 404

Thanks to advice from JohnCarroll my SEO is now installed (simply uninstalled and reinstalled).

however, I am now getting error 404 when I try to click on a category and/or a product. The URLs are:

http:www.mydomain/category.html as expected but I get the error.

http:www.mydomain/category/product.html

as I would expect after enabling the SEO addon

I have also checked the cscart_seo_names database table and there appears to be an incomplete list.

I have 33 products in total but there are only 3 records in this table for products (type == ‘p’).

I guess I could manually create the records (a pain) but then there is still my problem that the pages are coming up with errors anyway.

thanks for any advice

what does the ‘Addons’ tab show you for the SEO Name in the product detail page in your Admin panel?

You might have to reset and resave the products after enabling SEO depending on your version.

thanks for the quick reply…

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]what does the ‘Addons’ tab show you for the SEO Name in the product detail page in your Admin panel?[/QUOTE]

for 3 of the 33 products, it shows a name, for the other 30 products it is blank. I didn’t think about this tab on the products page. I suppose I can manually add/edit these names?

[QUOTE]You might have to reset and resave the products after enabling SEO depending on your version.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? As in delete and re-create the products?

Any ideas about why getting error 404?

Thanks

[quote]

What do you mean? As in delete and re-create the products?

[/quote]

No, as in open the product detail page for a product. Click the Addons tab and check what the SEO Name is for the product. Then click Save and access the product via the SEO Name with a .html suffix (mileage may vary depending on your SEO settings).

The 404 error is a result of it not being able to find either the category SEO Name or the product SEO Name (or that product is not really in that category).

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]No, as in open the product detail page for a product. Click the Addons tab and check what the SEO Name is for the product. Then click Save and access the product via the SEO Name with a .html suffix (mileage may vary depending on your SEO settings).[/QUOTE]

I have tried this and this is when I get the error.

For example, the SEO name for the category is:

trace-mineral-supplements

the SEO name for a product under that category is:

tracerite-copper-capsules-for-sheep-and-goats-2.5g

So I tried the url:

[url]http://www.mydomain.com/trace-mineral-supplements/tracerite-copper-capsules-for-sheep-and-goats-2.5g.html[/url]

and received the error 404.

I am still not having any luck with this:

1. I have confirmed that mod_rewrite is enabled
  2. .htaccess file seems to be working correctly
  3. SEO addon is enabled.
  4. have checked Catalog>>Product>>Addons(tab)>>SEO name

even if i change this name and save, on the right of the admin screens it displays what the URL of this page is but no matter what i do, it keeps coming up with page not found (404) everytime I try and access either a product or category page.

This is the main issue.

the 2nd issue is that only 3 out of 33 of my products have SEO names. I can manually add them in to the Product>>Addon pages but I don’t know why it created some but not all of these names when the addon was enabled.

Any ideas very much appreciated, want to get my site live asap and this is holding me up,

Thanks…

Sorry, without real domain names, screens hots of your screens, etc. it’s all just a guessing game. I’ve conveyed what I know, you might try the helpdesk.

I had been using my server’s ip address as the site was in development. I switched to live yesterday, changing name servers and i have now enabled the SEO addon.

despite the troubles i have been having the SEO addon works like a charm! works exactly as designed.

so the reason for the problem i was having? possibly somthing to do with using the ip address rather than the domain??? No idea…but i am happy now it is working!

thanks for all the help