Secure Cart Host - Customers BEWARE! - Time to MOVE!

JesseLeeStringer,

Thanks for your honest information. I am looking at ServInt and it looks good. I don’t manage servers as a profession. How much do I need to know about Web Hosting in order to use them?

If this is off-topic and I can just PM or IM you, please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

I have worked with Scott a few times and NEVER encountered any problem or issue. I found him to be helpful and responsive. I’ve also helped him out on some small things too.

I hate these kind of threads because there’s always information that is missing and Scott doesn’t seem to be present to defend himself. I’d be curious to know what the original catalyst for the conflict was. I hope that things can be honestly revealed and appraised from both sides. There are a\lways two sides to a story.

I have no vested interest one way or another. But my experience with Scott was that he was always willing to help and seemed to provide good service to his clients (even those that chose to air their issues here rather than through his support system).

I sure hope the issues/impact has not been exagerated here. It is easy to ruin somone’s credibility in a public forum with less than accurate information and completeness.

Sad to see this even come up. Hopefully this isn’t another Lee Pop/Indy war…

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]

Sad to see this even come up. Hopefully this isn’t another Lee Pop/Indy war…[/quote]

No war or something else - I just said, nobody is perfect and I hope it’s correct regarding some previous threads in the past.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I have worked with Scott a few times and NEVER encountered any problem or issue. I found him to be helpful and responsive. I’ve also helped him out on some small things too.

I hate these kind of threads because there’s always information that is missing and Scott doesn’t seem to be present to defend himself. I’d be curious to know what the original catalyst for the conflict was. I hope that things can be honestly revealed and appraised from both sides. There are a\lways two sides to a story.[/quote]

There sure is two sides of the story, I’ll continue below.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]

I have no vested interest one way or another. But my experience with Scott was that he was always willing to help and seemed to provide good service to his clients (even those that chose to air their issues here rather than through his support system).

I sure hope the issues/impact has not been exagerated here. It is easy to ruin somone’s credibility in a public forum with less than accurate information and completeness.[/quote]

My client lost a considerable amount of money both with the theft of company property, intention to damage their property and consequently destroyed (damaged in the way that I was able to restore them) valuable financial systems. These damages were made using a (then) unknown SSH account added to the root wheel group - not common practice I assure you.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]

Sad to see this even come up. Hopefully this isn’t another Lee Pop/Indy war…[/quote]

I’ll be the first to say that I’m ‘sad’ that this came to what it is. I gave my own personal recommendation, provide assistance (financial included) and provided a large amount of goodwill to ensure my client came out better than they were. In the end I got burned on a professional front, my client financially (and emotionally).

Pop and Indy had their days, but I stand here putting my own name on the line to ensure people are taken care of immediately - I’m not fighting over hosting companies, I don’t care where you move to (except GoDaddy of course) and I’m willing to assist you move if necessary - I just want to make sure you don’t try to get buried like he tried and partially accomplished to us

While he’s “in” negligible amounts of damage can be made, while he’s out - well the Sheriff’s office has that information posted on their website.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I

I sure hope the issues/impact has not been exagerated here. It is easy to ruin somone’s credibility in a public forum with less than accurate information and completeness.

Sad to see this even come up. Hopefully this isn’t another Lee Pop/Indy war…[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. It is a difficult issue right now. I know that Scott has been extremely helpful and on top of things for me on many many occasions. I really thought he want out of his way for his clients. He also pays close attention to the forums and has actually contacted me to fix things that I was having issues I brought up in the forums. But at the same time, I also completely trust Jesse. At a loss here…

Looking for some clarification. The area code at [URL]http://securecarthost.com/contact-secure-cart-hosting.html[/URL] is an Ohio phone number. Are they based in Ohio or Florida? Is this SCombs person the owner or an employee?

I have two clients hosting with them, I personally have found SCombs very creepy. The emails he sends to my clients about their hosting always has an arrogant tone to them and never professionally written.

[quote name=‘Triplets’]Looking for some clarification. The area code at [URL]http://securecarthost.com/contact-secure-cart-hosting.html[/URL] is an Ohio phone number. Are they based in Ohio or Florida? Is this SCombs person the owner or an employee?

I have two clients hosting with them, I personally have found SCombs very creepy. The emails he sends to my clients about their hosting always has an arrogant tone to them and never professionally written.[/quote]

Scott Combs moved from Ohio to Florida last October (2010). The phone number ending with 1070 is a google voice cell number. Scott is the sole owner of SCH, any affiliation from the helpdesk was from his old (I believe to the best of intentions) business partner.

Move your clients.

Do you know if he actually maintained his own servers or was just a reseller from a larger company? If he just resold his own rebranded servers from another company, do you know who actually owns and maintains the servers?

A Trace Route seems to imply the servers are in NY

I think he might be reslleing [COLOR=#000000][URL]http://www.enom.com/resellers/default.aspx[/URL][/COLOR]

[quote name=‘Triplets’]Do you know if he actually maintained his own servers or was just a reseller from a larger company? If he just resold his own rebranded servers from another company, do you know who actually owns and maintains the servers?

I think he might be reslleing [COLOR=#000000][URL]http://www.enom.com/resellers/default.aspx[/URL][/COLOR][/quote]

NY = DedicatedNow.com

Maintained a rented server (most smaller hosts do)

We had tried SCH a few months ago. Scott was very helpful. We were concerned because the overall speed on his server seemed to have issues and our sites were very slow during mid afternoons. After going back and forth trying to see what the problem may have been with Scott we decided it would be better for us to leave. Since then Scott has still been helpful even though we decided to not use his hosting company. I did have some pretty major problems getting a refund, but I got that resolved in the long run too. I did learn from Scott that I will never pay a year in advance again…unless they have a better cancellation policy.

So if we hosted with him before and seeing he appears to have done this “unknown ssh”, is there something we need to check now that we are with a different host?

[quote name=‘clips’]

So if we hosted with him before and seeing he appears to have done this “unknown ssh”, is there something we need to check now that we are with a different host?[/quote]

If your webhost grants you WHM or SSH access, then yes.

Contact them and request that all non-root users be disabled and that the root password be changed. This will ensure that your data is safe from a system level.

I suggest you change your administration logins and database user/passwords for your config.php files at the same time.

J.

[quote name=‘Triplets’]Do you know if he actually maintained his own servers or was just a reseller from a larger company? If he just resold his own rebranded servers from another company, do you know who actually owns and maintains the servers?

I think he might be reslleing [COLOR=#000000][URL]http://www.enom.com/resellers/default.aspx[/URL][/COLOR][/quote]

Maybe a DreamHost package…?

image-024.jpg

I have known Scott and David for several years through other sources and I have to say that I have personally never had an issue with Scott but I know that he has had legal problems through the years.

I have no personal knowledge of the issue brought up in this thread nor do I condemn nor endorse anything that has been said. I will wait for personal word.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I have worked with Scott a few times and NEVER encountered any problem or issue. I found him to be helpful and responsive. I’ve also helped him out on some small things too.

I hate these kind of threads because there’s always information that is missing and Scott doesn’t seem to be present to defend himself. I’d be curious to know what the original catalyst for the conflict was. I hope that things can be honestly revealed and appraised from both sides. There are a\lways two sides to a story.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with the above. I just checked my server and all seems fine. No extra accounts or anything. Changed my root PW just to be sure…

I’m not accusing anyone of anything. I have great respect for many of the senior members of this forum including Jesse and Scott (from my own experiences with both).

It’s like watching a soap opera unfold. There is tons of conjecture in many posts (well maybe he did… because I saw this… or because he posted this 2 years ago, that must mean…) type of thing which I think is very naive and honestly pretty petty.

I have no personal knowledge of what went on. All I know is that neither of the principles are here stating what happened. Every piece of info is in fact 3rd hand or assumed because of something somewhere in the past.

I have no reason to doubt Jesse’s word but I have no personal experience nor data to validate it either. I don’t have time to go trolling sheriff web sites.

I don’t have any clients (that I know of) that host with Scott (though I have recommended him in the past). And if I did, I would be compelled to inform them of the allegations and probably advise them to move on since there are really no facts, but the implication is strong.

Again, sad to see this type of thing come up to begin with. I hope people can stick with the facts and not get caught up in the drama or invent things that may not be applicable.

One big thing to point out is that no matter what Scott did or didn’t do, if he is in jail and/or dealing with legal stuff it means there is a possibility that no one is running his company.

Whether you like/dislike, believe/not believe, I don’t see what it matters. If no one is around to handle the servers and help out people with questions, that means that people are going to have a tough time if they have problems with their site(s).

Just my 2 cents I guess.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]One big thing to point out is that no matter what Scott did or didn’t do, if he is in jail and/or dealing with legal stuff it means there is a possibility that no one is running his company.

Whether you like/dislike, believe/not believe, I don’t see what it matters. If no one is around to handle the servers and help out people with questions, that means that people are going to have a tough time if they have problems with their site(s).

Just my 2 cents I guess.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

Nicely put.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]If your webhost grants you WHM or SSH access, then yes.

Contact them and request that all non-root users be disabled and that the root password be changed. This will ensure that your data is safe from a system level.

I suggest you change your administration logins and database user/passwords for your config.php files at the same time.

J.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jesse. I know that most of these settings were changed either each time we moved to a new host or when we upgraded to the new CS version. So I’m good there. I am checking in to this non-root users now as I don’t know how to check it myself.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Maybe a DreamHost package…?[/quote]

No, Dreamhost is the server that is hosting the Trace Route Tool not the domain name you are tracing.

I traced the domain to http://www.fortressitx.com using http://www.hostlogr.com

It’s official. Clients just received the following email. By the way, securecarthost.com just rented servers from http://www.fortressitx.com

[quote]

To All clients of Secure Cart Host…

Its with Sad regreats that I have to inform you that Secure Cart Host will be going out of the hosting business.

The owner and sole employee of Secure Cart Host is no longer in a posisiton to administer any of the servers he owns and will not be able to for some time.

I send this notice to you as a courtisy from myself.

As of now, all clients have 30 days to locate a new host and transfer your sites. After the 30 days, the server will be shut off.

I wish all of you the best of luck…

PS: There is nobody monitoring the ticket system at this time. The servers will remain online for the next 30 days. If you have any domains registered with Secure Cart Host you need to transfer those as well.

[/quote]