Secure Cart Host - Customers BEWARE! - Time to MOVE!

I’ve been requested to post this on behalf of a client - I normally prefer public confrontations such as these however I am aware of many business owners use their websites as their sole source of income.

The following statement is endorsed by me as a public service and I am consequently posting this under my own accounts name for their immediate benefit, and I hope your own, in time.

J.

===========================================

As a business owner who has had my eCommerce site criminally taken down and made inaccessible by the owner of Secure Cart Host - Frederick Scott Combs, I post this WARNING!

]This individual is now sitting in the Brevard County Jail, Florida on a host of Felony Criminal charges related to computer crimes against my business. As I understand he host a number of CS-Cart clients and if you are smart, you will move your services IMMEDIATELY!

Not only did Scott Combs criminally attempt to destroy my web site, but he also committed Grand Theft and attempted to sell Proprietary Intellectual Property to my competition. Hopefully, any readers to this post will take this information as a warning when looking for a hosting company for the web site.

HERE IS THE PROOF: SEE ARREST PHOTO

[URL]http://www.brevardsheriff.com/dar/inmatephotos/320071.html[/URL]

Djeeeez!!! Scott just configured my server, gave great advice, and was very helpful… but then stopped answering all of a sudden. I guess this explains :frowning:

Glad I’m not hosting with him but somewhere else…

This guy is also our forum member ?

[quote name=‘miracles’]This guy is also our forum member ?[/quote]

S-Combs specifically.

[QUOTE]Not only did Scott Combs criminally attempt to destroy my web site, but he also committed Grand Theft and attempted to sell Proprietary Intellectual Property to my competition. Hopefully, any readers to this post will take this information as a warning when looking for a hosting company for the web site.[/QUOTE]

Much respect to you Jesse for making other forum members aware of this persons serious lack of integrity, business ethics and morals! :wink:

It would be quite wise for anyone which did actually allow “this person” access to their site to make sure you have since changed your sites ftp access details as well as DB passwords, etc.!

And, if your business is hosted on SecureCartHost, and unless you enjoy playing russian roulette, you had better be making it your number one priority to be porting your site to a reliable, financially secure hosting company before night fall!

Wasn’t there controversy with him last year with a different hosting company as well, related to a different former member of this community?

[QUOTE]Wasn’t there controversy with him last year with a different hosting company as well, related to a different former member of this community?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have noticed at least a few instances of “instability” from this individual over the last couple years which always left some doubt in my mind as to the possibility of ever allowing this individual access to my site. Unfortunately I do know there have been many other forum members which did fully trust this individual. :frowning:

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Wasn’t there controversy with him last year with a different hosting company as well, related to a different former member of this community?[/QUOTE]

Do a forum search with s combs and CyberLNC and you will see Scott Combs connection to David L Litz on the forum as D-Litz

[URL=“http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=17990”]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=17990[/URL]

sigh…

Any suggestions as to where I should go? I"d like a company that knows CScart inside and out.

[quote name=‘Struck’]Yeah, I have noticed at least a few instances of “instability” from this individual over the last couple years which always left some doubt in my mind as to the possibility of ever allowing this individual access to my site. Unfortunately I do know there have been many other forum members which did fully trust this individual. :([/QUOTE]

presume you means these ones?

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=18108&highlight=cyberlnc+s+combs[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=17990[/url]

From the client:

###################

here they are. *they def have some bearing as to instability in him/his company and prior companies.

always blaming someone else…it’s really incredible.

##############################

Yep, those were them. I knew I remember something. Well Jesse I am sorry your client had to go through that and I hope they can recover from this incident. Good Luck to them.

[quote name=‘moka’]sigh…

Any suggestions as to where I should go? I"d like a company that knows CScart inside and out.[/QUOTE]

Other than Martfox there aren’t many other hosts that advertise on here that have a lot of experience with Martfox. I don’t know anything about Martfox other than what I have read in these forums which is a mix of good and bad so I will not comment on their service. I will say I use Wired Tree and love them but they don’t claim to be cs-cart experts. Servint, knownhost and several others would come highly recommended as well but again none of them are cs-cart expert hosts either.

Moka Dear,

IMO, it is a big mistake to make “knowing CS-Cart inside & out” the number one criteria for choosing your host. Focus on finding a solid, reputable, financially secure provider first, then if they claim to have some knowledge of CS-Cart, then consider this a plus. :wink: Personally, I could not care less what the host knows about CS-Cart, nor do I even inquire their familiarity with.

I have mentioned this at least 100 times, there are no special requirements needed in hosting a CS-Cart based store (although certain hosting providers active on the forums here would like you to believe so…)

There are several very good hosting providers out there to choose from and Whiplash has mentioned several with good user experiences being noted. Currently, I like Hostgator quite well, been nearly flawless for my site to date, although, if they piss me off I will drop them like a redheaded stepchild, LOL !

Let’s go here for the hosting talk: [url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=21924&page=3[/url]

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Yep, those were them. I knew I remember something. Well Jesse I am sorry your client had to go through that and I hope they can recover from this incident. Good Luck to them.[/quote]

The customer lost a full days worth of data until we recovered and a few sleepless nights due to it. At this time they are confident we’ll be without issues, even went to the process of hiring another server/security expert with qualifications.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Other than Martfox there aren’t many other hosts that advertise on here that have a lot of experience with Martfox. I don’t know anything about Martfox other than what I have read in these forums which is a mix of good and bad so I will not comment on their service. I will say I use Wired Tree and love them but they don’t claim to be cs-cart experts. Servint, knownhost and several others would come highly recommended as well but again none of them are cs-cart expert hosts either.[/quote]

I’ve posted in that thread, ServINT is my preference however it’s self-managed unless requested otherwise.

[quote name=‘moka’]sigh…

Any suggestions as to where I should go? I"d like a company that knows CScart inside and out.[/quote]

Probably better to do what most of my clients do:

1. Hire individual(s) or agency to manage their website
  2. Host somewhere professional so there is no conflict of interest should worse come to worse.

[QUOTE]presume you means these ones?

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread....berlnc+s+combs[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=17990[/url]

From the client:

###################

here they are. *they def have some bearing as to instability in him/his company and prior companies.

always blaming someone else…it’s really incredible.

##############################[/QUOTE]

Yep, those were a couple that caught my attention, as well as the Spiral (Spiralling outta control) affiliations in the past (regardless of how remotely related, they made a dent).

I used to read these and attempt to calculate the negative financial effects these posts & business decisions would have long term. Some people remember issues like these for a very long time…

Interesting thread. I don’t know what to believe. Scott was very helpful to me recently with my website slowing.

I look at the information about Secure Cart Host and it looks like they are out of Ohio. Yet it looks like the arrest was in Florida. Are we sure this is the same person?

If this is true, I probably need to move, but I am completely lost as to who to move to. Do I go to WiredTree, ServInt, MDDHosting, Gator, or A2?

Everyone has their personal opinion. Does anyone know who might be close to Secure Cart Host?

Thanks,

Adam

I can only say - nobody is perfect. Old members know, what I mean - new members should just read all related threads on the CS-Cart forums.

Some people here were angry about some outages of one of Martfox servers (they own 20 servers) in the past - yes, hardware is hardware, life is life, both will die some day, but nobody knows when. Martfox offers an excellent service and prices, moreover they are CS-Cart hosting professionals.

This post is not my opinion, it’s my recommendation - always.

Jesse’s sight is 20/20. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘jegesmaci’]Interesting thread. I don’t know what to believe. Scott was very helpful to me recently with my website slowing.

I look at the information about Secure Cart Host and it looks like they are out of Ohio. Yet it looks like the arrest was in Florida. Are we sure this is the same person?

If this is true, I probably need to move, but I am completely lost as to who to move to. Do I go to WiredTree, ServInt, MDDHosting, Gator, or A2?

Everyone has their personal opinion. Does anyone know who might be close to Secure Cart Host?

Thanks,

Adam[/quote]

My client hired Scott directly from Ohio, he’s been in Florida for the past 6-8 months. This is the same person that had a desk next to me for a few weeks. ServINT is where I am hosted, Gator = No, WiredTree = Depends (Just moved a client from there) and don’t have an opinion about A2.