Safe To Delete Duplicate Feature?

I just realized that I have a duplicate feature in my products database which may explain why my CSV imports are not working. (Although an all products export can be re-imported successfully.) My plan is to export all products, delete one of the duplicate features in CS-Cart, and then re-import the products after ascertaining that the exported records do not have extra instances of the duplicated feature. Does it make a difference which instance of the duplicated feature I delete? I think I can determine by list order which one was added as a dupe. Any advice appreciated as this feels like I'm defusing a bomb!

( Side Question: If a feature is included in a CSV but has not been added in the back end first, is it automatically added to the database on import? I don't know how the dupe feature could have got there other than that I may have added it manually but I don't think I'd have done this. I did add some new features recently, but the dupe was one of my old and carefully thought out ones. )

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Tom

Why you cannot just delete the duplicate feature from the Manage products features page?

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1417680574' post='198713']

Why you cannot just delete the duplicate feature from the Manage products features page?

http://demo.cs-cart…features.manage

[/quote]

We think that it is not a correct variant. If there are lots of features and each of them has binding, the binding will be lost by deleting the feature.

[quote name='merchantman' timestamp='1417650333' post='198701']

I just realized that I have a duplicate feature in my products database which may explain why my CSV imports are not working. (Although an all products export can be re-imported successfully.) My plan is to export all products, delete one of the duplicate features in CS-Cart, and then re-import the products after ascertaining that the exported records do not have extra instances of the duplicated feature. Does it make a difference which instance of the duplicated feature I delete? I think I can determine by list order which one was added as a dupe. Any advice appreciated as this feels like I'm defusing a bomb!

( Side Question: If a feature is included in a CSV but has not been added in the back end first, is it automatically added to the database on import? I don't know how the dupe feature could have got there other than that I may have added it manually but I don't think I'd have done this. I did add some new features recently, but the dupe was one of my old and carefully thought out ones. )

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Tom

[/quote]

This plan is good but first you should make a backup.

Also

[quote name='merchantman' timestamp='1417650333' post='198701']Does it make a difference which instance of the duplicated feature I delete?[/quote]

There is no difference, as the name is used on import, not id.

[quote name='merchantman' timestamp='1417650333' post='198701'] If a feature is included in a CSV but has not been added in the back end first, is it automatically added to the database on import? [/quote]

It seems that it is added to the database on import. But unfortunately we have no time to check it.

Best regards, Alt-team.

Thanks for replies.

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1417680574' post='198713']

http://demo.cs-cart…features.manage

[/quote]

That's what I did after backing up.

[quote name='Alt-team' timestamp='1417681758' post='198718']

We think that it is not a correct variant. If there are lots of features and each of them has binding, the binding will be lost by deleting the feature.

This plan is good but first you should make a backup.

Also

There is no difference, as the name is used on import, not id.

It seems that it is added to the database on import. But unfortunately we have no time to check it.

Best regards, Alt-team.

[/quote]

I deleted and made sure export had good data. The original feature was still in database. I optimized database so that much is good.

However, this wasn't the cause of the problem as I still got the followng errors when I tried to import some new products:

Error[color=#B94A48]It is not allowed to create/upload/rename files of the [/color]text/plain[color=#B94A48] MIME type.[/color]

Error[color=#B94A48]No file uploaded[/color]

So the problem must indeed be with the CSV. The CSV is exported from Filemaker as a merge file (.mer) which is nothing but a comma delimited CSV file with quoted fields and double quotes occurring in fields replaced by two double quotes; exactly what I want. After exporting from Filemaker I change the extension from “mer” to “csv” and then open in TextWrangler editor so I can save it as Unicode text with Unix line endings (from Mac encoding and line endings, even though in past both encodings worked ). I have looked at the actual contents of the CSV multiple times and it appears to be OK. I thought that perhaps something in my process was causing CS-Cart to reject the file but the MIME type should be text/plain so that leaves the fact that the file extension was changed (which it must be, since .mer files will not be imported). However, when I first started importing into CS-Cart a few months ago I used the same process and never got this error so I am baffled at this point.

Dear Merchantmen,

We have just checked import/export function of products and see that new features are created without any issues. We have also noticed that there is no any duplication with different variants of tests.

Could you please provide us with example of files you try to import in order that we can reproduce the error?

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Best regards,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Leonid[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Chief Technology Officer of CSExperts [/font][/color]

[quote name='csexperts' timestamp='1417772096' post='198814']

Dear Merchantmen,

We have just checked import/export function of products and see that new features are created without any issues. We have also noticed that there is no any duplication with different variants of tests.

Could you please provide us with example of files you try to import in order that we can reproduce the error?

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Best regards,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Leonid[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Chief Technology Officer of CSExperts [/font][/color]

[/quote]

Thanks for reply. I found some problems in the CSV file which I fixed and the products are imported but something is still wrong. Not all fields of the imported product records can be edited; any field with a control of some kind is seemingly locked. Also, when I try to import images for these "locked "records they are ignored.