running a backup or development version

HI

I have only been setting up my store for around a week but have allready started modifying code etc to add category images and chage fonts thanks to the excellent posts on this forum and the knowledge base.

i was thiking that i should really be running 2 copies, one that will be the “live” and stable version and the other “test site” where i will be carrying out modifications, testing code and upgrades before implementing it on the live site.

I was wandering what you guys do - I was thinking i would install a second copy in a sub domain with just the supplied sample data with its own databse, test any code changes and then apply the code changes if they work ok

any advice of how you guys manage this would be appriciated along with advice on the best ways to backup the “live” site

thanks

will

The way you are planning on doing it is correct.

Copy the database, and copy all files to a subdirectory (subdirectory is easier because using a subdomain can cause licensing problems).

Don't forget to edit your config.local.php files so the dev shops does indeed use the 2nd database and the software knows it's location (Script location options).

I also like to make an ftp account for the dev directory that goes straight in there. This way you can't accidentally edit your live shop. You can do the same for 3rd parties: give them access to your dev shop so they won't be able to go into your live shop.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Flow i will give it a go

it was your review btw that prompted me to try cs-cart

thanks

will

Well, then I hope you like it ! :)

[quote name=‘Flow’ timestamp=‘1359904833’ post=‘154347’]

Well, then I hope you like it ! :)

[/quote]

i certainly do thanks :)

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1359901753' post='154344']

I also like to make an ftp account for the dev directory that goes straight in there. This way you can't accidentally edit your live shop. You can do the same for 3rd parties: give them access to your dev shop so they won't be able to go into your live shop.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Ha…tell me about it, I learned this the hard way

John

[quote name=‘johnbol1’ timestamp=‘1359905092’ post=‘154349’]

Ha…tell me about it, I learned this the hard way

John

[/quote]

Who didn’t, John :)