Restricting Shipping Methods

How can I assign a specific shipping method to a particular product? For example, I ship eggs which are fragile. Even though I have more than one shipping method (ie. USP and USPS) setup, I only want to ship the eggs via USPS Priority.

There is currently no way to directly bind a product to a specific shipping. Your only option is to use the Suppliers addon where you can set your special-handling products to a specific supplier and then assign that supplier to the special-handling shipping method.

Bob

[quote name=‘shaywood’]How can I assign a specific shipping method to a particular product? For example, I ship eggs which are fragile. Even though I have more than one shipping method (ie. USP and USPS) setup, I only want to ship the eggs via USPS Priority.[/QUOTE]

I can’t think of an easy way to do this using realtime shipping methods. Perhaps you can assign a fixed shipping cost to your eggs item to cover the cost of a priority mail flat rate package, then just put a note in the product description stating this item will be shipped via priority mail. Then the shipping cost assigned for this product will override any realtime rates being returned.

(Or what Bob said…however that makes my head hurt!)

Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand Bob correctly, I can assign a product to a particular supplier and in turn assign a particular supplier to a specific shipping method? I’m assuming that “special-handling” is your terminology and not a specific feature in CS-cart.

[quote name=‘shaywood’]Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand Bob correctly, I can assign a product to a particular supplier and in turn assign a particular supplier to a specific shipping method?[/QUOTE]

That is correct! However, you will need to have a common shipping method name to both or you will need to present the various shipping options (check “Multiple shipping method selectboxes” in the Supplier options in Addons).

Bob

EDIT: Actually, forget this. The shipping method name only effects whether you can enter more than one tracking number now that I think about it. Even when you do not display the separate shipping options, they are calculated correctly (at least they were the last time I checked).

Bob

Just wanted to clear this up - I should have retested before posting.

If you have “Multiple shipping method selectboxes” unchecked, you would need to have a shipping method in common. Since you want to require expedited service for eggs, you will probably want to offer the customer the choice of shipping service for non-egg item so you will want to have “Multiple shipping method selectboxes” checked.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bob

This is a dumb question - sorry. How do I ensure the shipping method is in “common” with a particular product?

[quote name=‘shaywood’]This is a dumb question - sorry. How do I ensure the shipping method is in “common” with a particular product?[/QUOTE]

For instance, if you wanted to offer the customer the option to ship all non-egg items by USPS Priority Mail, you would set both suppliers on that shipping method. If you have “Multiple shipping method selectboxes” unchecked, this would be the only shipping method in common this forcing any order with eggs to be shipped at the higher USPS Priority rate. If you have “Multiple shipping method selectboxes” checked, then the customer could select, for instance, USPS Ground Machine (from a list of any available shipping methods) for the non-egg items but would be forced to accept the USPS Priority Mail for the eggs (actually, the egg’s supplier).

Bob

Think I got it. Thank you very much for the help!