Remove top menu; add Gift Certs to side box

Hi, I was wondering how to remove completely the Top Menu? It just seems redundant, since there’s a Home link right above it (& below in the breadcrumbs), & account & cart links are right beside it. I looked in main, top, & index & couldn’t find any include statements for top menu. If I CANT remove it, then I’d like to change the buttons/links entirely.

Also I wanted to add Gift Certificates to either the categories or information side box, but I tried copying the if statement into the sidebox/categories file before the closing /ul tag & it didn’t do anything - no show, nothign. I also tried it in the info_box & it put it at the bottom but without the blue dashed separtor line.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I am not sure how to do the top menu, but this is what I did to add Gift Certificates as a category.

In skins/your_skin/side_boxes/categories.tpl

I added:

{if $settings.Addons.gift_certificates == 'Y'}

• {$lang.gift_certificates}

• {/if}

Below:

{include file="categories_pages/menu_items.tpl" items=$categories separated=true submenu=false}

Brandon

Go into top.tpl From there comment out

{include file=“top_menu.tpl”} by adding

{*

before and

*}

after

This may seriously affect the look of your skin, so play around a little with it.

Hi Brandon, I tried that already & it doesn’t change anything - all it does is put the dotted line below my last menu item but it doesn’t add the gift cert link to it. :confused: Moka, that worked but I didn’t like the way it looked it.

Thanks!

What skin are you using?

for gift cert. add

```php

• {if $settings.Addons.gift_certificates == 'Y'}
    {$lang.gift_certificates}
    {/if}

• ```
    after

```php
    {include file="categories_pages/menu_items.tpl" items=$categories separated=true submenu=false} ```
    in sidebox/categories.tpl

[quote name=‘moka’]Go into top.tpl From there comment out

{include file=“top_menu.tpl”} by adding

{*

before and

*}

after

This may seriously affect the look of your skin, so play around a little with it.[/quote]

Inside top_menu.tpl, you can always comment out the menu items and leave the bar there.

I’m using default_magenta, & that didn’t work. It had the same result - showing the dotted line under the last item in my menu & not adding Gift Certs.

[quote name=‘mdekok3000’]Inside top_menu.tpl, you can always comment out the menu items and leave the bar there.[/QUOTE]

I will try that, thanks! :cool:

On adding the Gift Certificates to your categories, I followed the directions above and got a small blank space above and below the Gift Certificate botton. I use the New Vision Red skin, modified. I messed around with it for a while and was able to correct the situation I had. If anyone else has this happen, you can do the following:

Instead of editing the skins/your_skin/side_boxes/categories.tpl file, you need to:

Edit the skins/your_skin/categories_pages/menu_items.tpl

Find this code:

```php {* $Id: menu_items.tpl 3926 2007-09-13 10:25:27Z zeke $ *}

{strip}

{assign var=“foreach_name” value=“cats_$cid”}

{foreach from=$items item=“category” name=$foreach_name}

• {if $category.subcategories}

{include file="categories_pages/menu_items.tpl" items=$category.subcategories cid=$category.category_id}

{/if}
    {$category.category|escape:html}

• {/foreach} ```

Add the following after above code:

```php {* Add Gift Certificate Button Begin *}
    {if $settings.Addons.gift_certificates == 'Y'}
  • {$lang.gift_certificates}

• {/if}
    {* Add Gift Certificate Botton End *} ```

Hi Aromazoma, I had tried that already, with the code in a few different positions including your suggestion, & it’s still not working.

It must be something with the skin you are using that is different. What I posted works with my skin. I wish I was more help.

I’ll keep playing with it. Thank you for your help. :cool: