Refer a Friend contest and Affiliates addon

I’m thinking about running a contest on my site but we want to incentivize people to forward it to their friends. The more people they refer to the contest, the more their submission counts.

Ideally, after they press “submit” on the form, they go to the page w/ the form submit text on it that tells them to forward the contest to their friends with inputs for 10 email addresses. An email gets sent to their friends saying that contestant@gmail.com wants them to know about the contest. Somehow this information is tracked in a database on who is referring whom so we know to only count the email addresses that convert into contest submissions.

I understand the affiliate addon might have some functionality to do this sort of thing but I cannot for the life of me find any good documentation on how that is supposed to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

when you find the answer if you dont mind lettting me know also since i would like to do something like this as well

[quote name='kmccracken' timestamp='1267639439' post='72890']

I'm thinking about running a contest on my site but we want to incentivize people to forward it to their friends. The more people they refer to the contest, the more their submission counts.

Ideally, after they press “submit” on the form, they go to the page w/ the form submit text on it that tells them to forward the contest to their friends with inputs for 10 email addresses. An email gets sent to their friends saying that contestant@gmail.com wants them to know about the contest. Somehow this information is tracked in a database on who is referring whom so we know to only count the email addresses that convert into contest submissions.

I understand the affiliate addon might have some functionality to do this sort of thing but I cannot for the life of me find any good documentation on how that is supposed to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[/quote]

This sounds great! I'd also be interested to know how this can be achieved/done.