Quotation at Checkout Rather than Order

I have searched these forums regarding printing the contents of a cart that is complete (with shipping charges) as a Quotation, rather than placing the Order, and have found very little discussion.

My thought is to add a “Quotation” button next to the “Checkout” button which prints (pdf?) the same information that would go to an Invoice, but instead to a different “Quotation” TPL and not actually placing the order.

A customer (or adminstrator acting as a customer) could use this to get a hard copy quote and leave the cart as is, ready to place the order or change the cart when he returns or the administrator gives him the account number and login that has been created for him.

There are certainly much more exotic quotation systems that could be developed, but I think this could be very useful and not too complicated to set up.

Has anyone done this? If one of the experts on the forum is interested in doing this as a paid mod, please contact us.

Interesting… I have not looked in detail, but can't the Wishlist do this for you? It creates a cart that is stored so it would just then be a question of a template to print out the quotation in your desired format (using the invoice format as a starting place)…

Probably some degree of custom development, but should be able to leverage much of what exists already (but finding the pieces can be time consuming).

You might want to look into some of the 3rd party invoicing addons that are available. They will probably do what you want to do.

[quote name='dave01' timestamp='1319307010' post='124313']

I have searched these forums regarding printing the contents of a cart that is complete (with shipping charges) as a Quotation, rather than placing the Order, and have found very little discussion.

My thought is to add a “Quotation” button next to the “Checkout” button which prints (pdf?) the same information that would go to an Invoice, but instead to a different “Quotation” TPL and not actually placing the order.

A customer (or adminstrator acting as a customer) could use this to get a hard copy quote and leave the cart as is, ready to place the order or change the cart when he returns or the administrator gives him the account number and login that has been created for him.

There are certainly much more exotic quotation systems that could be developed, but I think this could be very useful and not too complicated to set up.

Has anyone done this? If one of the experts on the forum is interested in doing this as a paid mod, please contact us.

[/quote]

I would be interested in this also for a site I am helping set up for someone. Have you looked into it any further?