Question Regarding Customization of CS Cart

Ok, here is the deal. I am a very fluent coder (PHP ZCE) and have customized many scripts in terms of the design aspect. Our company just had a PSD design made for our upcoming store that will use CS Cart. I am almost done hand coding it and then will start integrating it. My questions regarding CS Cart and how I change the template are below:

1. Will I still be able to retain the AJAX parts of CS Cart even if I change the way CSS attributes are named?
  2. Is changing the naming of CSS attributes wise?
  3. How will changing the CSS attributes affect upgrading of the script?

Once again this design is totally custom but still retains the same wire frame that CS Cart uses for the basic template. I am starting to understand the templates (all being hooks and Smarty based).

Thanks,

Darren

[quote]

1. Will I still be able to retain the AJAX parts of CS Cart even if I change the way CSS attributes are named?

[/quote]

Some, but not all. Many use ‘micro-classes’ to determine what actions to take and whether AJAX resolution is required.

[quote]

2. Is changing the naming of CSS attributes wise?

[/quote]

Assuming you are referring the the “class” attributes. The short answr is no, it is not wise. The best approach is to simply have your own style sheets that load after the standard style sheets so you can override the properties within classes.

[quote]

3. How will changing the CSS attributes affect upgrading of the script?

[/quote]

If you use “hooks” to manage your changes then you’ll be pretty upgrade independent. If you modify distributed templates then you will encounter upgrade conflicts when those files are upgraded. The cart has a fairly nice comparison function that diffs changes pretty well. But changes you want to keep have to be manually reapplied.

Suggest you read this document before venturing off to start implementing changes: [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/docs/customizing_your_store.pdf[/url]

I will have to retain the same AJAX css then. Because my css classes and ids are going to have to be different because I am changing the design by how it looks, not just replacing images. I am going to create a completely new skin and I will see how it goes from there. If I have to I will rewrite the javascript.