Question about Mini Cart placement

Ok you design gurus out there. I know one topic that is usually of interest is the placement of the mini cart. I’ve started helping my brother on a new website to sell motorcycle gear and stuff. I’ve only just started on the design so it is pretty rough and not really much has been done.

One thing I did do though is place the mini cart in the header. What I am hoping from you guys is for you to visit the site, add the product to your cart and then let me know what you think of the placement of the mini cart.

I’ve only tested this in FF 3.6 so I don’t even know what it will look like in the other browsers. My main concern is if you guys even think this is a good place for the mini cart.

The site is: http://www.5thgearmotorsports.com

I would sure appreciate you opinions.

Thanks,

Brandon

Hey Brandon,

I likey alot! Having the shopping cart displayed at the very top middle of the page has always been my preferred placement! :cool:

I don’t especially like the “View Cart Button” next to it, just don’t think it is necessary as you can just click the shopping cart image to view the cart. Actually, and only my personal opinion, I would remove both buttons as clicking the shopping cart image takes care of everything and gives a much cleaner look.

PS: you need to increase the inventory quantity for your one item as it claims only having one in stock…

Thanks Struck.

So your thinking that a more simplistic approach might be better. Well I might have to try that. So are you thinking just the basket with the quantity? What about the subtotal? I’ll make a few changes and we’ll see.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]Thanks Struck.

So your thinking that a more simplistic approach might be better. Well I might have to try that. So are you thinking just the basket with the quantity? What about the subtotal? I’ll make a few changes and we’ll see.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

I thought about the displaying of the subtotal, and do like having it displayed. After looking at it again, I think it would be very cool to just display the subtotal right beside the cart image, right under the “You have 5 items in your cart”, same size text, but maybe you would want it to be bold. But yes, I really like the clean, non-cluttered appearance and having the shopping cart at the top of the page. It is more detectable than displaying it in a side box for example.

Nice work!

1 Like

Brandon,

Can you let me know what you think of the shopping cart top display image I have attached?

Reason I ask is because I also want this & would be willing to help pay you for your efforts & we could both use it if your interested!

Difference is, I could do it, however, it would take me about 150 times longer (ok, 250 times longer) than you can do it! :slight_smile:

PS: I would not want the “View Recently Added” link as I think it is simply clutter!

Shopping_Cart_Display.gif

Ok, well what do you think now? I removed the buttons and centered the minicart. I also put the subtotal under the cart image.

My only thing is that I would like to make it look more “cool”. Right now it is just kind of plain. I would just love it to stand out more I guess.

Any thoughts?

I also agree with you about the side box cart. I’ve never been that happy with it. Once I get this down for my brother maybe I’ll take a look and see how I can make this work for myself.

Brandon

I like the image. That’s kind of what I’m talking about. That looks nice, but yet it is simple. Maybe I’ll take a look at what I can do with it.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]I like the image. That’s kind of what I’m talking about. That looks nice, but yet it is simple. Maybe I’ll take a look at what I can do with it.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is extremely clean, yet easily gets the point across. Having the cart image inside the colored background really brings attention to it, without being overbearing! The entire image is positioned to the absolute top center of the page.

This is just something that caught my attention quite some time ago, just thought it had a cool factor to it while still quite functional.

Well, how about now. I modified it to be basically the same as the image, but without the background. If you know where I could get a background like the one in the attachment, it would be pretty easy to add.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]Well, how about now. I modified it to be basically the same as the image, but without the background. If you know where I could get a background like the one in the attachment, it would be pretty easy to add.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

Yeah, looking good!

Let me see what I can do for the background image.

Ok, I beat you to it, sorry. Check her out now. What do you think? Looking pretty sweet huh?

Brandon

Here you go Brandon, image attached.

Also tossed in another cart icon image in case it is of any value.

PM me a Paypal link or something, no problem helping you out for your time! :wink:

cart_icon.jpg

bg_topcart.jpg

Nice job, guys.

Bob

Yeah, this is gonna be “Sweet” :wink:

Attached are the files needed to put this on your sites. There are also instructions on what to do. It’s pretty simple to add this, but if there are any problems let me know.

Also, I can’t take all the credit. The original of this was done by Tirade for a sidebox cart. Also thanks to Struck for “inspiring” me.

Anyways, I hope this works for everyone.

Brandon

top_minicart.zip

Brandon, if I don’t receive a PM with a Paypal link to make a donation for your time, I will get very pissed off! :twisted:

All I did was jump on the bandwagon here, but you saved me alot of time as I only get time to play designer like once every three years! So, this is valuable to me and I don’t like to ask favors & expect people to work for free…(especially on a Saturday)! :wink:

First, I forgot that I modifed top.tpl. I have reuploaded the files to reflect the changes. Sorry.

Struck,

Dude, don’t worry about it. This will be something that I will be using on my own sites so I don’t need any kind of payment. Honestly I appreciate the inspiration. I can modify the code alright, but actually coming up with the design is the hard part. I’m a sewer plant operator not an artist.

Also, I don’t mind doing stuff on Saturdays, although my kids keep nagging to take them on a bike ride. Maybe I’ll have to get up and actually do something today. At least it is a beautiful sunny day.

Brandon

[QUOTE]Honestly I appreciate the inspiration. I can modify the code alright, but actually coming up with the design is the hard part. I’m a sewer plant operator not an artist.[/QUOTE]

LOL, you should see the stick animals I attempt to draw freehand…Frightening Critters!

Anyways, I won’t harp on the payment thing then, however, thanks alot for your quick help & efforts, greatly appreciated!

And, you know, everyone is gonna want our cart! :smiley:

May I introduce brandonvd - mild-mannered sewer plant operator by day, intrepid mad-modder by night.:slight_smile:

Thanks, again, to both of you (and Tirade) for your efforts.

Bob

Very nice. Similar to the one I use on my site. I just don’t use a subtotal because I run a lot of promotions and it tends to confuse people.