Promos on category, plus all subcategories -- how?

The site I’m building has deep category trees. For example, the parent Books category has Beading, Welding, Reference, etc.

Now suppose I want a 20% off promo for any book. It appears I have to list all of my book subcategories explicitly in the promotion.

Is there a shortcut for “category == books, or any of its subcategories”? I don’t see one, but I can hope.

A second Q. My site owner wants “offer this promo for a product except where another promo is already being offered”. The only way I see, so far, is to assign my new promo a higher priority and put a “stop” order on it. Any other way of getting this job done?

Thanks,

Jerome.

Hello Jerome!

[quote name=‘javaguy’]The site I’m building has deep category trees. For example, the parent Books category has Beading, Welding, Reference, etc.

Now suppose I want a 20% off promo for any book. It appears I have to list all of my book subcategories explicitly in the promotion.

Is there a shortcut for “category == books, or any of its subcategories”? I don’t see one, but I can hope.

[/QUOTE]

In standard CS-Cart you need to add all the subcategories manually.

[QUOTE]

A second Q. My site owner wants “offer this promo for a product except where another promo is already being offered”. The only way I see, so far, is to assign my new promo a higher priority and put a “stop” order on it. Any other way of getting this job done?

Thanks,

Jerome.[/QUOTE]

This is the correct way.

what is ‘stop’ means?

[quote]

what is ‘stop’ means?

[/quote]

When set and that promotion is applied, the cart will not look at any more promotions. This is usually most valuable when you’ve giving a percentage off so that you could have multiple conditions and when one is true (in prioritized order) then further promotions will not be applied.