Product page messed up after upgrading to 2.13 & 2.14

There are so many failures in these releases…and the shotgun release of .14 alone proves it. This is absolutely a bug. Copying the jcarosel items from styles.bass and style did not fix my issue. Turning off the option leaves the product images uncentered below the cell above. Looks terrible. Not to mention that my skin was a completely renamed, custom skin and the latest two updates updated half of the files in my skin and the other half in a new folder that the update made on its own!

Complete rubbish on the part of CS-Cart. Unacceptable.

I had to first uncheck “Display mini thumbnail images as a gallery”, save the settings then check “Display mini thumbnail images as a gallery” and save again. Then clear the template cache and the carousel started working. It sounds like you may have more issues than I had but it is worth a try.

The primary reason for the rapid fire .14 release was the incredibly poor reception to the new product details layout. There is no question that additional testing prior to release would be a benefit to both the developers and customers.

Bob

When I have the carousel feature enabled, if I scrolled to the right a couple of images and then click on a mini-thumbnail, it makes my larger thumbnail image dissapear and all of the mini ones shift upwards… any ideas? I’ve tried the checking/unchecking/re-checking and clearing cache but it still does it

[quote name=‘racingsolution’]When I have the carousel feature enabled, if I scrolled to the right a couple of images and then click on a mini-thumbnail, it makes my larger thumbnail image dissapear and all of the mini ones shift upwards… any ideas? I’ve tried the checking/unchecking/re-checking and clearing cache but it still does it[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with my install of 2.0.14.

I just tried on your site and did not have the problems you described but clicking on the mini-thumb did nothing at all regardless if I scrolled the images (tried Safari and Firefox on a Mac).

Bob

hi ,

after upgrade new cs cart i report bug on [url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1821[/url]

this and that bug solve, but now i have new problem

i havenot this on product page

here my product page

[url]http://www.exyu-fitness.com/shop/no-reaktori/no-explode.html[/url]

have someone help to back that

tnx

I suggest that you change your skin to “basic” to test whether it’s a TPL issue. If basic loads with the product title then you just need to find/replace the related tpl’s.

hi

i change, and in basic skin a i have same problem…

It really whacked my product page. See attached. The main image shows up for a second, then disappears. None of the image thumbnails work. It only does this on some products, not others, we don’t know why. Even on the other products the thumbnail buttons don’t work.

I’ve tried checking and unchecking the new gallery to no avail. It does it on the basic skin as well.

broken_product.JPG

I am looking into the issue a bit further, however my experience was initially the same in that for products with thumbnails, the left width for product information was pushed a proportional amount that was not random but not helpful either.

I have the following recommendation - and I will make it to the CS-Cart team as well in the QA forums…

I first encountered this issue while trying to understand why the ‘live search’ beta plugin was creating a search results div that was not appearing 5px under the search box like it should have, but rather, was an additional 100px to the right.

In looking at the code, I determined that the jQuery call being used to position the element was taking a measurement from the absolute positioning of the element on the page, but applying it to an element that was within a relative positioned container.

My solution was to replace the original width measurement function with one that measured distance based on the container - not the page. This aligned the live search result div properly.

My recommendation for folks who are designing or using their own scripts - and this may not be your problem, but take the advice as you want - when creating your stylesheets, be explicit with your block elements in terms of positioning - always declare the position:relative - even if you expect the default.

If you do not declare it, many other DOM processes will ignore the element when running calculations on positioning.

Likewise, I would not be surprised if changing cascading styles in templates causes issues down the road. The CS-Cart is not wrong in developing features that use the DOM to its full potential, however for folks who are used to writing CSS in a way that does not follow best-practices a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth occurs as arbitrary definitions and re-definitions overlap and cancel each other out and so on…

As display templates take more advantage of jquery, your own css logic and definitions (how you apply classes and ids to elements) will become very important if you wish to take advantage of the new features.

If you create a template that eliminates class names or ids from the original templates, you may find that as updates roll out, new features that rely on styles that you eliminated may visually break the site.

The approach I have taken with our site was essentially find the default skin that was the basic shape of what we already had - use all the original CSS files and definitions in the original CSS - then created an override sheet that cancels out or customizes the styles you want to change.

Unlike X-C, CS-Cart stacks classes on nearly everything, which makes it very easy to track down what class styles are cascading over what…

With X-C, the stylesheets and class definitions were so vague, it was really up to the browser to decide what cascaded on top of what, and browsers left to their own devices with regards to style rarely agree.

Just as an example, when I turn on the gallery thumbnail feature, I get an unstyled list with thumbnails and it does nothing. Jquery can’t find the element because I changed its name. I don’t want the gallery so I turned it off in the preferences, but as the templates become more sophisticated and utilize the DOM, the designer working with templates will need to be strict in terms of following the specs when applying classes and styles to their page elements, because jquery depends on standardized CSS for predictable operation.

I will suggest, however, to the CS-Cart team, that changes to the DOM that are needed by new jQuery features should be documented - at least give a heads up. Not everyone who runs a cart gives a hoot about jQuery, CSS or the DOM, but they can at least know when to have their developer check on the templates and make sure they get what they need.

Seems the issue for me was also the missing jcarousel from styles.css. I looked at the conflicting file list, and it didn’t mention that file and svn didn’t show it changed. Seems it skips that file? Is that normal, or did they just forget to include it in the upgrade build?

[quote name=‘phazei’]Seems the issue for me was also the missing jcarousel from styles.css. I looked at the conflicting file list, and it didn’t mention that file and svn didn’t show it changed. Seems it skips that file? Is that normal, or did they just forget to include it in the upgrade build?[/QUOTE]

It was missed in the 2.0.12->2.0.13 upgrade.

Bob

[quote name=‘DawnG’][SIZE=“2”][COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]How many of you have had success with the “Revert Back” function ?

[/COLOR][/SIZE] :-x[/QUOTE]

Revert works fine. But remember that it saves a copy of tables that are to be “altered” and a ‘revert’ simply restores the tables (versus undoing the ‘alters’). This has the effect of losing any data that was inserted/updated between the time of the save and the time of the restore. I.e. orders will be missing and if you use an off-board order management system, you will get duplicate order-ids (unless you increase the auto-increment value in the DB).

But the basic principle of “revert” works fine. It will restore your store (and data) to the point it was at when you did the upgrade.

[quote]

features should be documented

[/quote]

Maybe when sunbathing in December becomes popular in Moscow!

Documentation (especially anything technical) is horrible. I don’t need a 500 page PDF that tells me what elements are available on a page. I want to know what the elements do and to see a couple of different “use cases” for differnent selections/behaviors as a result of different selections. I.e. I want to know what and why.

There are so many pieces of this product that are undocumented at this point that it’s hard to keep up (data feeds is just one example). I don’t have time to try this, try that and see what the results are. If someone’s going to implement a solution to a problem, tell me about the problem and the options related to the solution. I find I have to go read the code to figure out what’s intended.

Documenation has been a beef since day one of 2.0 and hasn’t gotten any better. It would also help to have cs-cart personnel active in the forums.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]It happens only when “Display mini thumbnail images as a gallery” is checked in Design->Appearance settings.

It appears to work fine on a fresh install of 2.0.14 but there are problems on an upgraded install.

Bob[/QUOTE]

This setting seems to have no effect on my system… I have jcarousel creating a mess for me.

As long as I have 3 or less image pairs I am fine… but any more and Its F(*&t

Maybe they should focus on adding hooks, and creating clean smart XHTML.

We can add our own jquery ‘features’.

The only place this becomes a little untrue is in regards to AJAX (since its blending front and back end functionality).

I recommend the take the approach of cs-cart being a bit of a ecommerce framework with very clear structures for hooks, so that developers can easily give a custom storefront to clients.

One nice Idea this way is from [url]http://www.avactis.com/[/url]

this system allows you to embed every piece of the site as a php tag (include).

You build the site skin however you like.

Each tag has a simple tpl file.

If you want Javascript you add it.

What do the rest of you think… would you prefer that cs-cart move toward a clean structured front end framework that we can safely customize??

Right now there is simply to much cross over between the MVC

There are countless ways to skin a cat… I think their “target market” is more geared toward end-user merchants than other developers. Hence their goal is to may it as much “click-to-configure” as possible. Notice the lack of a well defined API for integrating with the cart.

Every standard template should be enclosed in a hook related to that template so it’s easy to replace entire chunks of code. The only problem is that you end up copying large chunks to maintain the 90% of the functionality you want. But it does give you upgrade independence.

You could easily implement what you describe by simply modifying ‘main.tpl’ to {include file=“my_site.tpl”} where ‘my_site.tpl’ was then the root of the changes you want to make. But you’ll end up duplicating a lot of code due to the sporadic AJAX code related to prices and other things. So not sure this is a good soluion. Each time you’d want to utilize “standard functionality” you’d then have to add it to your code.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]When I turned the gallery back on after disabling it as above, it started working fine. The field may just not have been properly set during the upgrade.

Bob[/QUOTE]

I have turned it on and off multiple times now, each time clearing the cache between and I can’t for the life of me get it to stop adding the ‘jcarousel’ classes and running the javascript that is messing up the widths and more.

Is there somewhere I can just strip out the Javascript? Will that fix it?

I have edited ‘product_images.tpl’ to remove all the jcarousel stuff… if there is another way please let me know… but for now (until the next upgrade this seems to work)