Product Import

Hello,

So I've created all my categories and sub categories in 3.0.1 as they exist on an old commerce site I currently run. Now I want to try to import a product.

1. Is it a 1 or 2 step process to import the CSV and the image itself?
  2. Do I need to include all fields and put them in specific order or can I include only relevant fields and put them in any order so long as my first line has correct names of fields I'm importing?

Thanks,

Charlie

[quote name='charliechuck' timestamp='1348243613' post='145520']

Hello,

So I've created all my categories and sub categories in 3.0.1 as they exist on an old commerce site I currently run. Now I want to try to import a product.

1. Is it a 1 or 2 step process to import the CSV and the image itself?

[/quote]yes unless you also want to import additional images to display undet the main one, i.e. a different colour or style in which case you use a different spreadsheet altogether

[quote]

2) Do I need to include all fields and put them in specific order or can I include only relevant fields and put them in any order so long as my first line has correct names of fields I'm importing?

[/quote]

No any fields you like, I have one huge spreadsheet that i update constantly and just remove the field name of the columns I dont want to update.

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1348246388' post='145522']

yes unless you also want to import additional images to display undet the main one, i.e. a different colour or style in which case you use a different spreadsheet altogether[/quote]

So you're saying a one step process? Then if you have the image name under “Detailed Image” in your CSV, you just need to first make sure that that image is there to link up with??? Also, default folder is store/images/backup. Nothing exists there but all sample data is under store/images/backup/detailed. So do I need to drop the image there and specify that in the import dialog page?

[quote]No any fields you like, I have one huge spreadsheet that i update constantly and just remove the field name of the columns I dont want to update.

[/quote]

That sounds like a great way/place to “store” your products locally. So I'm guessing you don't do any product updates directly through the web admin but use import instead?

Also, I run an import of this data:

“Product code”;“Category”;“List price”;“Price”;"Status

“H523SF”;“Horse Equipment///Halters and Leads///Fennell Leather Halters”;“72.50”;“55.00”;“A”

…and I don't get any error message but the new product is not showing up! Any ideas?

OK, I finally have successful import. It takes getting a pop-up report of import for it to be successful, I see. So how to you import the inch symbol (") in your description given that double quotes are also the delimiters?

You can usually add a backslash in front. I.e. ". If that fails, you might try using " instead.