Product Image Overridden By Variant Image

I have a product that has many different color variations. I have a different image uploaded for each color variant.

I want to have the MAIN product image be an image that shows all the colors combined (see picture below). However, it seems as though when viewing on the category page, the variant images overrides the main product image. The main image with the combined colors is never seen.

I hope this makes sense. Can anyone offer a solution?

fam-seashell_b1f78e1156a9a038105675a874584793.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-01-24-at-9.15.17-AM.jpg

Which version? Works ok for me in 4.0.3 and 4.1.1.

I have 4.0.3. I just checked again and it's definitely not working.

You've set the multi-coloured image up as the image in the information section and the others up as images under each of the option variants?

[quote name='NairdaCart' timestamp='1390594626' post='175987']

You've set the multi-coloured image up as the image in the information section and the others up as images under each of the option variants?

[/quote]

Yes, this is correct. The image always defaults to the 1st variant's image.

Strange. That's exactly what I've got and it works fine. The category image is always the main image. I'm on 4.1.1 now but I had it that way in 4.0.3 and it worked there as well.

Is it that way with all category templates?

[quote name='NairdaCart' timestamp='1390596251' post='175992']

Strange. That's exactly what I've got and it works fine. The category image is always the main image. I'm on 4.1.1 now but I had it that way in 4.0.3 and it worked there as well.

Is it that way with all category templates?

[/quote]

Yes, you can see how I have it setup in the images below. In the category view, it always shows the single blue shell.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ah, you're using option combinations. I don't use those as I don't need to track inventory for individual options.

I set it up the way you have it and I can confirm that it shows the image for the first valid combination rather than the main image.

The documentation does says that the option image (when using combinations) should only be displayed when the customer selects the option so it sounds like a bug to me rather than the way it's supposed to work.

You have to choose in admin panel on product page:

Options settings → Options type → sequential

This should help :-)