Product Filter Performance Question

If I disable all Product Filters from the homepage will this provide any improvement on

the speed and loading of the homepage?

I assume a lot of queries and loops have to be made to retrieve the Filter data

so if all filters were disabled would this help any?

Filters are “generally” cached. Hence the first access (that loads the cache) will be slow as all the filter combinations are created.

Depending on your caching method, performance could then be a function of the number of filters. I.e. if you use the 'files' method then you could get lots of file contention is you have a busy site. If you use the 'sqlite' method you will have less contention.

Hard question to answer with a “pat” response, but can tell you the “factors” involved.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1322525779' post='126894']

Filters are “generally” cached. Hence the first access (that loads the cache) will be slow as all the filter combinations are created.

Depending on your caching method, performance could then be a function of the number of filters. I.e. if you use the 'files' method then you could get lots of file contention is you have a busy site. If you use the 'sqlite' method you will have less contention.

Hard question to answer with a “pat” response, but can tell you the “factors” involved.

[/quote]

You know I'm using file right now on my dev server but will be using sqlite im sure as i hear its the best option

next to shmem.