Product details page tabs <h1> tags on Tab Titles

Ive been doing a little SEO with our CSC v2.1.4 based website.

Discovered that the Titles for the Product details page tabs are

tagged !

And this is hard coded into the product_template files.

This results in multiple

taged text on all product pages.

Ive edited the product_template files to be ```php

{$navigation.tabs.$nav_block_id.title}
``` rather than ```php

{$navigation.tabs.$nav_block_id.title}

```
Q1. Isnt it a BIG no-no to have more than one h1 tag per page, for SEO?
Q2. What is the reasoning behind having h1 tags on things like "Description", "Attachments", and "Reviews"?
Q3. Is there anything detrimental to (and/or any great advantage) removing these tags from the the .tpl files?
Q4. Is CSC v3 and v4 different in this aspect?

[quote name='remoteone' timestamp='1375328818' post='166151']

Q1. Isnt it a BIG no-no to have more than one h1 tag per page, for SEO?

[/quote]

Yes, it is. CS-Cart, as default, is far from semantic.

Q2. What is the reasoning behind having h1 tags on things like “Description”, “Attachments”, and “Reviews”?

[/quote]

CS-Cart is designed and developed by programmers, not shop owners nor anyone with any SEO knowledge. In my experience with CS-Cart support, they do not have a clue about SEO and how it is one of the largest factor of ecommerce success.

Q3. Is there anything detrimental to (and/or any great advantage) removing these tags from the the .tpl files?

[/quote]

Nope, nothing detrimental. The only thing you might see is a difference in how the text looks on the page - from memory V4 only has declarations for H1 > H3 and nothing thereafter (H4+).

Q4. Is CSC v3 and v4 different in this aspect?

[/quote]

Nope, still the same old mess. Thankfully it can be fixed…

I fixed it by creating new templates (override templates), with an 'if' statement, which checks the CSS class for the block. Now all I need to do is type, for example, “H4” into the CSS Class field and the page generates with that blocks title within

tags not the

as before. Now I can use

through instead of all

's. Unfortunately this is only one of many issues CS-Cart has overlooked in terms of SEO. Most can be fixed with relative ease.

I don't show the “product details” content in tabs, using the option on Settings > Appearance to turn the tabs off,

I change the

tags to

in:

\skins\basic\customer\views\tabs\components\product_tabs.tpl - line 16

Do you really think these headings need to be

, or less?

Hi , thanks for the replys.

Yep I did this already before coming back here, and fixed a bunch of other h1 and h2 tags on pages.

… well I dont know if its just a coincidence but the traffic seems to have increased within a week …