Problems With Refining A Search Via Filters

I have a bunch of different filters in use, and 2 sets of them are for product width and product height. If someone filters just by one of those dimensions, everything works fine. However, if they go to select the second dimension - even if there are results to be returned, what almost always ends up happening is that the search will end up throwing a 500 error - usually not to the screen, usually i can just see it in Chrome’s inspector. It’s a site currently in dev, so at least at the moment I can’t show it, but perhaps soon. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Note that all the other filters seem to work fine.

What do you see in the server error logs?

A whole lot of nothing, really. Just fatal php errors, but that's obviously because it's hitting the maximum execution time of the server.

Don't you think that these issues are related?

Well, yes; of course they are related, but that doesn't tell me anything about how to actually go about solving it - the server timeout is a result of the filter not working correctly, not a reason. The particular filters DO have results that should be getting returned, so that's why I am baffled.

[quote name='fdo' timestamp='1439601061' post='226832']

Well, yes; of course they are related, but that doesn't tell me anything about how to actually go about solving it - the server timeout is a result of the filter not working correctly, not a reason.

[/quote]

It would be helpful to see those errors otherwise it's rather difficult to pinpoint what exactly went wrong.

I agree, it is required to examine the issue directly on the server