POS. Should not allow duplicates

Currently, there are many areas where a position POS. is specified. Examples are the order of Global Options, variants, etc. You can have duplicate positions which can cause problems. It’s possible to have three items all with a position of “0”. CS cart should not allow duplicate positions within a list.

I have another cart that handles this well. When you create an item that is part of a list, it automaticaly defaults to the position 9999. This puts it at the end of a list. If the current list ends in 40, the cart makes it 50. The next one would be 50. You can specify another number if you want to item to be some where else in the list. If you want it between 20 and 30 you make it 25. The cart then reorders the list to make the one that was 30 to 40 and makes the new one 30. This prevents having duplicate numbers for the POS. (Position) field.

The complex part for this is when there are option exclusions and varient combinations that have specific reference numbers in the database, and would probably have to be updated if the order changes. I have seen in other posts that having the same POS. number in the list has caused problems with option inclusions and Varient Combinations. This is why I am mentioning it here.

Bringing this old request back up. Very interested.

This is my problem: When you create a global option you have to assign a position to the option. BUT when you add a product option to a product, choose a global option from your list, and apply it as a link — the new option shows up as whatever position it was assign to be when you made it a global option.

The problem is, sometimes I may want to use a particular option at position #12 and sometimes I may want to use that same option at position #3.

How can you make a global option where everything stays global except for the position of the option? Is there some code I can change to make this happen?

Does this question make sense?

[quote name=‘ckad79’]Bringing this old request back up. Very interested.

This is my problem: When you create a global option you have to assign a position to the option. BUT when you add a product option to a product, choose a global option from your list, and apply it as a link — the new option shows up as whatever position it was assign to be when you made it a global option.

The problem is, sometimes I may want to use a particular option at position #12 and sometimes I may want to use that same option at position #3.

How can you make a global option where everything stays global except for the position of the option? Is there some code I can change to make this happen?

Does this question make sense?[/QUOTE]

Just change the position on the product page by clicking the edit button. They aren’t set in stone.

I’m confused. If you apply a global option “as a link” which is what I want, so that when I change the content of that option — every product that uses that option changes with it.

BUT when you apply a global option to a product, “as a link”, the position is locked as whatever it was set to be when you made the global option. If I don’t apply it as a link, the position is unlocked and I can make it whatever I want. The negatives of not applying it as a link are that when you change the option, you have to change the option on EVERY product (one-by-one) that uses that option.

I do see “details” under product options that are global options— “applied as a link”, but all that does it change the content of the global option that every product shares.

I hope I’m making sense…

I just want to know how you can change the position of a global option that is applied as a link? It don’t see how it’s impossible. Figure, you make everything global (the name, content, etc) but leave the position not global.

I could be way off base, but couldn’t you simply change the default value for the pos field in the database from 0/NULL to 9999?

I don’t actually mind the POS groupings which go alphabetical for items of the same number - although I can see how this would not be helpful for some scenarios. However, for example, in categories, I have seasonal categories that I like to keep near the top and just turn off when I have to - i.e. I have certain low numbers that represent general positioning - I don’t want to have to rearrange the entire cardinal order of categories every season.

An alternative would be the ability to save position layouts - but this seems like overkill to me. Perhaps I am mistaken.