Please Add Version Control To The Marketplace

Currently its not visible in the marketplace which version the product has.

So if you have installed an addon then there is no way of knowing there is a new version.

It would be very beneficial to have version control, so that developers can post updates on whats new in a version and that customers can see what the latest version is.

This would also allow for functionality to alert from admin panel if there is a new version of an installed addon. This would keep CS-Cart installs more secure.

I don't feel the marketplace is the proper place to do this.

1. Purchases don't go through marketplace so there's not notification method
  2. Each developer should be responsible for keeping their customers up to date (there are a variety of methods to do this).
  3. Long term support should be a consideration in purchasing
  4. Each developer is different. For us, updates are automaticaly installed. For others, they publish on their own blogs or site.

If your proposal is done, then it gives more visibility/publication to vendors who do things manually rather than who have thought through what it means to support a product.

The marketplace should be a place to search for products that meet a need and a means to provide reviews/feedback on products, support, qualtiy and completeness of products.

I don't want cs-cart managing how I run my business. They have enough to do in order to keep up with their own issues.

There needs to be a way of knowing what addons have new versions. Old version can have security vulnerabilities or hazardous bugs.

1. Purchases do not need to go through the marketplace. The only thing that is needed is a function to let developers post updates to the marketplace. For example that update 1.0.1 of the addon has been released and contains x,y,z. Not much different than some developers do on the forums.
  2. Unfortunately the reality is that virtually no addon developer I have encountered keeps their clients up to date on updates. I keep having to ask for the new downloads if there are any.
  3. Yes agreed. Long term support is a good reason for making updates and versions visible. If a developer releases updates when needed then this is a reason for buying their addon over an addon that does not get updates.
  4. Thats fine. It does not prevent the developer from posting an update to the marketplace if functionality existed for it.

[quote]2) Unfortunately the reality is that virtually no addon developer I have encountered keeps their clients up to date on updates. I keep having to ask for the new downloads if there are any.[/quote]

Not true. Ours are updated automatically for every client when a newer version is available that is compatible with the version of cs-cart they are running.

There is nothing the prevents a developer now from updating their descriptions to indicate the latest version information.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1409249743' post='190972']

Not true. Ours are updated automatically for every client when a newer version is available that is compatible with the version of cs-cart they are running.[/quote]

Yes, you are one of the few exceptions. There are also some other developers who actively notify clients about updates. But unfortunately that is not my general experience.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1409249743' post='190972']

There is nothing the prevents a developer now from updating their descriptions to indicate the latest version information.

[/quote]

I have not noticed any addon in the csc marketplace with version listed clearly. It may be there though but it would be an exception.

Making it mandatory would be useful.