phpMyAdmin optimization

Is it safe/advisable to optimize CS-Cart’s database tables via phpMyAdmin?

[quote name=‘Herbaria’]Is it safe/advisable to optimize CS-Cart’s database tables via phpMyAdmin?[/QUOTE]

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Can anyone shed any light on this? I use to do it with Joomla and Virtuemart all the time.

Hello Herbaria,

Did you try before:

Admin Panel > (tab) Administration > Database > Maintenance > (button) Optimize database

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Herbaria,

Did you try before:

Admin Panel > (tab) Administration > Database > Maintenance > (button) Optimize database

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, Lee Li Pop. I guess I wasn’t specific enough in my question. I’d already found that PHP optimize feature you referred to; my question, then, is “Is it okay to use it?”

I recently used this feature on an extremely large database and after having my store open for around nine months. I made sure I backed up first but everything went smoothly and the optimization reduced my database size considerably.

So go for it … just make sure you back up first.

Yes, but mind you real back up is after optimization (and also repair if phpmyadmin used)

I see the database optimize available within cs-carts panel, but is it safe to use the mysql native optimize:

optimize table tablename

Mysql’s command can be scripted and then use CRON to run at regular interval, with the cs-cart version we have to manually do it.

Can anyone please clarify problems, etc or I can go ahead with the native mysql optimize.

[quote name=‘jesseporven’]I see the database optimize available within cs-carts panel, but is it safe to use the mysql native optimize:

optimize table tablename

Mysql’s command can be scripted and then use CRON to run at regular interval, with the cs-cart version we have to manually do it.

Can anyone please clarify problems, etc or I can go ahead with the native mysql optimize.[/QUOTE]

Basically the same thing. Pick which one works best for you.

Weird question, it is the SAME thing, it triggers the same mysql function…

Optimising tables is a regular query that just does not return anything meaningful but a way to pass optimisation request to mysql engine. In this case the query is sent from php CS-Cart or php ‘phpMyAdmin’

Exactly same thing.

Great, thanks. Just wanted to be sure before I setup automated optimization in CRON. Thanks.