Permissions Problem

Hi

I am having issues with permissions and would really appreciate some clarification please.

Our CS-Cart was originally installed by Martfox on their server so they set up all the permissions, which are different to those that CS-Cart state they should be.

All was working fine until Martfox moved our account to another server. This new server is apparently running in DSO mode so the permissions need to be as CS-Cart state the should be and I have been in correspondence with Martfox trying to resolve this but am getting confused by their responses.

Below is a copy of the latest response (my original text is marked with >):

[indent=1]> 1. the following folders AND their subfolders require the following

permissions:

/var/ 777

/images/ 777

/skins/ 777

John [Marfox] changed the permissions to the above main folders to 777 but did not change

all the subfolders (or sub-sub-folders etc). Therefore all the sub-folders of

these folders need to be changed to 777. Is this correct?

the permissions for new created files will be set up through the file config.local.php:

// Default permissions for newly created files and directories

define(‘DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS’, 0666);

define(‘DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS’, 0777);

so all new created files after the installation will become 666 or 777 but the core folder is a static one, therefore the permissions have been changed to 755

[I changed the permission for the folder containing the thumbnail for the<br /> product I was uploading an image for and this seemed to fix the issue.]

2. All other folders, including core, and all sub-folders of such folders should

be set at 755. Is this correct?

yes, correct

3. config.local.php should be 666 but all other files should be 644 - is this

correct?

correct

If yes, I have noticed that the image I uploaded has been set a permission of

666. How do I change it so that files are automatically set a permission of

644?

that’s right so as mentionted above

4. Assuming the above statements regarding the folders is correct, is there a

way to change all the folder permission settings as a group, rather than having

to change them one at a time? Is this something you are able to do for me

please?

we can just change the permissions e.g. for all files to 644 or folders to 755 in a bulk.[/indent]

My questions:

1. Should I just ask them to change all sub-folders of var, images & skins to 777 and all other folders and subfolders to 775? (Unless I can do myself in bulk via cPanel?)

2. Should the config.local.php file be changed to the below so all new files are 644 permissions?

// Default permissions for newly created files and directories

define(‘DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS’, 0644);

define(‘DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS’, 0777);

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Emma

Not sure where you are up to with what Martfox say they should be and what CS say they should be. I am on martfox and mine are as below (which is what CS cart says they should be).

You can bulk change them all yourself in cpanel be going into the directory select the top directory then hold shift and select the lowest directory, they will all highlight and then changes affects them all.

Or if you use filezilla, then there is a checkbox when you right click to select…recurse into all sub directories.

and yes all other folders should be 755

Good luck

John

[color=#393939][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]CS-Cart files and directories:[/size][/font][/font][/color]

[color=#5B5B5B][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]config.local.php - read/write for all users (666)

/images (and all its subdirectories) - read/write/execute for all users (777)

/skins - read/write/execute for all users (777)

/var (and all its subdirectories) - read/write/execute for all users (777)[/size][/font][/font][/color]

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1340216809' post='139099']

Not sure where you are up to with what Martfox say they should be and what CS say they should be. I am on martfox and mine are as below (which is what CS cart says they should be).

You can bulk change them all yourself in cpanel be going into the directory select the top directory then hold shift and select the lowest directory, they will all highlight and then changes affects them all.

Or if you use filezilla, then there is a checkbox when you right click to select…recurse into all sub directories.

and yes all other folders should be 755

Good luck

John

[color=#393939][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]CS-Cart files and directories:[/size][/font][/font][/color]

[color=#5B5B5B][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]config.local.php - read/write for all users (666)

/images (and all its subdirectories) - read/write/execute for all users (777)

/skins - read/write/execute for all users (777)

/var (and all its subdirectories) - read/write/execute for all users (777)[/size][/font][/font][/color]

[/quote]

Thanks John - that is what I think it should be too so will change it myself using the cPanel method you said.