Performance / Cache Tweaking for 2.0.x?

We are about to launch a 2.0.15 site. We briefly did an upgrade attempt to 2.1.1 but there were too many problems so we decided to launch with 2.0.15 and then take our time to get to 2.1.2 now that it is out.

One thing that has struck me odd about CS-Cart and is frequently discussed here, is performance issues. I see that has been a focus of improvement in the 2.1 branch.

This being our first CS-Cart installation, its performance is WAY slower than our shopping cart software we wrote from scratch based on PERL! But admittedly CS-Cart is doing A LOT more and has about 5 times more tables.

On this installation we have about 800 products and are not using filters. However I’m still concerned (especially with Christmas approaching) that we will run into performance issues.

Based on others experience with 2.0.x, what is the general consensus as far as best practices for performance? Clear the file cache periodically? Don’t use the file cache at all? Install Smart Optimizer? Install the SQLite solution (which we tried a while back and it had issues/problems.)

2.0.15 is fat - Needs a dedicated depending on traffic.

2.1.2 is very fast however I’ve encountered enough bugs to justify upgrading next year.

Smart Optimizer should be used, if not use webo (affiliate link) and see how that goes.

[quote name=‘Consultant’]We are about to launch a 2.0.15 site. We briefly did an upgrade attempt to 2.1.1 but there were too many problems so we decided to launch with 2.0.15 and then take our time to get to 2.1.2 now that it is out.

One thing that has struck me odd about CS-Cart and is frequently discussed here, is performance issues. I see that has been a focus of improvement in the 2.1 branch.

This being our first CS-Cart installation, its performance is WAY slower than our shopping cart software we wrote from scratch based on PERL! But admittedly CS-Cart is doing A LOT more and has about 5 times more tables.

On this installation we have about 800 products and are not using filters. However I’m still concerned (especially with Christmas approaching) that we will run into performance issues.

Based on others experience with 2.0.x, what is the general consensus as far as best practices for performance? Clear the file cache periodically? Don’t use the file cache at all? Install Smart Optimizer? Install the SQLite solution (which we tried a while back and it had issues/problems.)[/quote]

With Smart Optimizer, should the file cache still be used or should the file cache be cleared periodically?

Are there any ‘gotchas’ on implementation of Smart Optimzer that need a config change to avoid?

[quote name=‘Consultant’]With Smart Optimizer, should the file cache still be used or should the file cache be cleared periodically?

Are there any ‘gotchas’ on implementation of Smart Optimzer that need a config change to avoid?[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to 2.1.1, then choose the SQLITE method of cache which is already included as an option as of 2.1.1. Then you should not have a need to screw around with periodically clearing the cache. And yes, as Jesse mentioned, do indeed install Smartoptimizer as it will most likely reduce your initial 1st page page load time 50-75% regardless of the cache method you use.

Jesse,

[QUOTE]2.1.2 is very fast however I’ve encountered enough bugs to justify upgrading next year.[/QUOTE]

Other than the multitude of permissions related errors during upgrade, are you finding any serious issues? I am planning to upgrade to 2.1.2 tonight unless there are some serious show stoppers.

Thanks

If you are suicidal - there are better ways to go out.

No - Not stable.

[quote name=‘Struck’]Jesse,

Other than the multitude of permissions related errors during upgrade, are you finding any serious issues? I am planning to upgrade to 2.1.2 tonight unless there are some serious show stoppers.

Thanks[/quote]

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]If you are suicidal - there are better ways to go out.

No - Not stable.[/QUOTE]

Well, doesn’t sound as if you have had very good results so far (in fact can’t say that you even stuttered at all), guess I will hold off awhile longer then, not in the mood to play Russian Roulette with the bank account this week!

Thanks for the insight! :wink: