Paypal Payment For £0.03 Associated With £53.18 Order- Scam?

Yesterday we had a customer order two packs of discs worth £53.18 total, £59.17 once postage was added.

The order in CS Cart showed up as “open” rather than “processed” and in IPN errors stated that “Payment total is different from the order total”.

When we looked in PayPal, the associated payment to us was £0.03 (*). (See attachments)

Is this an attempted scam? Has anyone experienced something similar?

This brings back faint memories of our old cart system where someone placed an incomplete order and a separate (negligible) payment, presumably hoping we'd think the order had been paid for and ship it anyway.

However, in this case, the IPN callback was made to our system by PayPal themselves, implying that it was done through the same payment process. But could the payment figure have been changed?

I remember the payments in V4 had a bug that did exactly this…and a fix was issued, try seracing bg tracker

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1438707728' post='225601']

I remember the payments in V4 had a bug that did exactly this…and a fix was issued, try seracing bg tracker

[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Are you talking about this bug:-

http://forum.cs-cart.com/tracker/issue-5435-paypal-invoice-issues/page__gopid__20794#entry20794

We're running 4.3.3 (the current version) and the fix described appears to be already in place.

(FWIW, after contacting the customer to inform him the order had been cancelled, we didn't get a reply. Normally I'd think this was suspicious- if the order was legitimate (and the problem caused by a bug) you'd expect them to respond, if only to complain. But my boss has had some problems sending/receiving email, so I can't be sure there.)

• Smich