Paypal express does not work after 2.12 to 2.14 upgrade

Paypal express does not work after 2.12 to 2.14 upgrade

The error message is that the processor declined the transaction.

Before that all was well.

A customer had a problem and then sent the payment directly to my email address at Paypal which worked.

So there is nothing wrong with my business account or his account.

The upgrade went fairly smoothly other than this and normal merchant account credit card payments work.

[quote name=‘Traveler’]Paypal express does not work after 2.12 to 2.14 upgrade

The error message is that the processor declined the transaction.

Before that all was well.

A customer had a problem and then sent the payment directly to my email address at Paypal which worked.

So there is nothing wrong with my business account or his account.

The upgrade went fairly smoothly other than this and normal merchant account credit card payments work.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I can’t give you specifics as to what your problem might be, I can only tell you that we are on 2.0.14 and have been receiving many Paypal Express orders every day, no problems whatsoever. Hope that helps at least somewhat!

I might suggest that you also double check all of your folder & file permissions again after the upgrade because they can & do get changed by CS-Cart!

I would also take a close look at the files directly related to Paypal to make sure all of the most recent actually got uploaded during your upgrade.

[quote name=‘Struck’]Sorry I can’t give you specifics as to what your problem might be, I can only tell you that we are on 2.0.14 and have been receiving many Paypal Express orders every day, no problems whatsoever. Hope that helps at least somewhat!

I might suggest that you also double check all of your folder & file permissions again after the upgrade because they can & do get changed by CS-Cart!

I would also take a close look at the files directly related to Paypal to make sure all of the most recent actually got uploaded during your upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the encouragement. Which is important when you are up late trying to fix challenges.

How would folder and file permissions influence PayPal and what would I be checking for? I use tighter permissions than the default suggestions and was not having problems before the upgrade.

As far as actula files related to PayPal which ones do you suggest looking at other than the certificate file?

Note I do seem to be connecting to paypal and the actual error message is processor declines the transaction.

Before when I had a problem it was with my cert file name not matching what was in my configration but that is OK now.

Luckily I mostly use my Innovative merchant account/payment gateway and manual to my email PayPal orders still work.

Hello Traveler,

[QUOTE]How would folder and file permissions influence PayPal and what would I be checking for? I use tighter permissions than the default suggestions and was not having problems before the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

If permissions were changed during the upgrade, this may or may not cause a problem. I am only suggesting that you recheck all of your CS-Cart permissions to make certain they all match whatever permission settings you setup prior to your last upgrade. Odds are quite high that you will find some that have changed. :wink:

[QUOTE]As far as actula files related to PayPal which ones do you suggest looking at other than the certificate file?[/QUOTE] Whenever I have a problem similar to this whereas others do not seem to be experiencing the same problem, then I will compare the files in my live store with same files from a fresh download of the same version of CS-Cart. I typically check file sizes of both as well as date stamps to spot a possible difference. If I spot something, then I will just upload the file overwriting the file on my live site. As long as you are not overwriting custom modified files, then there is no problem & you know for certain you have the actual latest version of a particular file. I do this using CuteFTP.

For example, in your case if you go to yoursite/payments/ you will notice 3 different files directly related to Paypal, so typically I would re-upload all 3 of these from fresh files to be certain they were the latest versions. I just view It is as a simplistic method of troubleshooting.

Very good, calm thoughtful advice - much appreciated.

I shall try to slowly step by step diagnosis the issue.

Thank you!

I checked permissions:

Two folders:

755 Payments and Certificates

Three files:

paypal.certificate and paypal_express.php 644

paypal.php 666

I do not remember exactly what the old settings were.

[quote name=‘Traveler’]I checked permissions:

Two folders:

755 Payments and Certificates

Three files:

paypal.certificate and paypal_express.php 644

paypal.php 666

I do not remember exactly what the old settings were.[/QUOTE]

Hello Traveler,

Looks as if you initially had your Folders at 755 and your Files at 644. Then during the upgrade your paypal.php file was changed to 666 as you show above.

So, regardless of whether it has any effect on solving your initial problem, you would still want to change the permissions of this file back to 644 to match your original permission settings.

If you’re going to compare files and directories, I’d suggest UltraCompare.

It allows for a 3 way compare. This is how I use the 3 way folder compare:

2.0.12 / current / 2.0.14

That way I can see if the files were from an update or from me. If it matches on either side it’s a stock change. If neither side matches, then I did something.

Very useful. I used it a lot before I switched to subversion.

[quote name=‘phazei’]If you’re going to compare files and directories, I’d suggest UltraCompare.

It allows for a 3 way compare. This is how I use the 3 way folder compare:

2.0.12 / current / 2.0.14

That way I can see if the files were from an update or from me. If it matches on either side it’s a stock change. If neither side matches, then I did something.

Very useful. I used it a lot before I switched to subversion.[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting - thank you

After looking more closely it seems that I can get Paypal express to work if it is the first choice for the customer.

When the order is an open status and then the customer comes back to pay later using PayPal express that is where the problem is.

Is this something that can be easily fixed?

After I get a post confirming that others see the problem I will ask CS cart for help.

Still didn’t work… My problem with Paypal or Paypal Express is that it ‘hangs’ the server and doesn’t complete. Paypal regular will eventually finish but some customers get frustrated and quit. When I had the “pay invoice again” option clicked it resulted in hundreds of dublicate orders required calles and attention on every single order.

I’ve tried changing file permissions and the payment method order… nothing… Same error…

Support has confirmed a bug.

I just lost a $211 order from this issue and support is moving very slowly to fix the bug.

Very frustrating.