Password Protected (catagories & subcatagories)

Hi there.

I have a client who owns a local sports store in town and she is trying to sell uniforms to local area teams. She has all sorts of categories like, swimming, baseball, soccer, etc. When you click on any category, it takes you to their subcatagories which are team pages like, “Mary Youth Swim Team”. Of course, people who belong to the Mary Youth Team, can buy their uniforms online.

The problem is, she’ll give certain teams discounted rates because they buy so much. Then other teams view other team pages and get jealous with their prices.

She wants to send a letter out to team members with a special password to access their page (subcategory). This way, prices are private.

Is it possible to assign a unique passwords to categories and subcategories?

I was highly interested in this and did not know if CS-Cart 2.0 could implement this.

Thanks…

You could assign a usergroup to each category and assign the matching usergroup to each user - this should limit display to only their related categories.

Bob

I don’t use this feature so I am not sure if it will work for you, but couldn’t you enable the affiliates feature and then just sign up the local teams as affiliates? This way when they login they will see their affiliate pricing.

I’ve never tried this, but I think that is how that feature is supposed to work.

Another method might be to use the memberships feature, but I also don’t know anything about that.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help, buy maybe it will point you in the right direction.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]I don’t use this feature so I am not sure if it will work for you, but couldn’t you enable the affiliates feature and then just sign up the local teams as affiliates? This way when they login they will see their affiliate pricing.

I’ve never tried this, but I think that is how that feature is supposed to work.

Another method might be to use the memberships feature, but I also don’t know anything about that.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help, buy maybe it will point you in the right direction.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

The problem would be telling people that they must register an affiliate account before purchasing items. Might be a bit confusing for some who just assume they go to their team’s page, add an item, and check out.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]You could assign a usergroup to each category and assign the matching usergroup to each user - this should limit display to only their related categories.

Bob[/QUOTE]

I never realized that there was a usergroup option.

I see how to create user groups like, “St Mary’s Swim Team” for “customers”. How would I assign this group to a category and how do I implement what users can see what categories? Do I need to add new users to their respected category as they create accounts?

[quote name=‘ckad79’]I never realized that there was a usergroup option.

I see how to create user groups like, “St Mary’s Swim Team” for “customers”. How would I assign this group to a category and how do I implement what users can see what categories? Do I need to add new users to their respected category as they create accounts?[/QUOTE]

You can specify the usergroup which can view a category in the Availability section on the Category page.

You can specify which usergroups a customer belongs to in the “User groups” tab in Users->Customers. Set the status to ‘active’ for any usergroup you want the customer associated with.

Bob

Thanks. I see how to add an user group to a catagory.

So, if somebody registers a new account, how do I associate their account with a particular user group? Do I need to actually log in and move each user to their respected catagory or when they register for an account, will the cart ask them to select a group (ie: team)???

Thanks…

You can set it up to allow the customer to choose the usergroup. In General settings, check “Allow customer to signup for user group”. After they enter their basic profile information and register, a “User Groups” tab appears and they can click the “Join” link for any group - it will assign a status of “Pending” for that group.

Then, you can go to Users->User groups and click the “user group requests” link. You will then be able to change the status to “active” or “declined”.

Bob

EDIT: I thought this was the way it worked when I tested it a while back but now the usergroup is automatically made active for the user.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]EDIT: I thought this was the way it worked when I tested it a while back but now the usergroup is automatically made active for the user.[/QUOTE]

Nevermind - I confused myself. It works as described above.

Bob