Package size increase

I noticed the new beta is about 40MB in size, unpacked! The current version is “only” 25MB, although I have always regarded that as a big script as well. But 40MB… jeez. Why the big difference? Will the final version be about this size too?

Have you seen it in action? There are so many extra features that I am going to have to read up on them just to know what they do.

What’s the big deal about the file size?

[quote name=‘Tool Outfitters’]Have you seen it in action? There are so many extra features that I am going to have to read up on them just to know what they do.

What’s the big deal about the file size?[/quote]

Yes, I tried it for 20 minutes. Haven’t found any new features, but I didn’t check the changelog yet (if there’s any).

Although the admin interface seems to be better structured, I don’t like the web 2.0 looks of it. It’s all so very BIG and spacious and candy colored, it looks like it’s made for blind children. I like the old looks far more: it’s neat, tidy and neutral. And you don’t have to scoll all the time.

About the size: it’s just takes long to upload. And my general experience with scripts is: the bigger they are, the harder to modify.

Anyway, I sound a bit grumpy now, but I’m sure there are lots of improvements to be found when I take the time to work with it a while.

[quote name=‘argosmedia’]Haven’t found any new features[/QUOTE]

your kidding me right? keep looking, their are massive changes, and massive additions to the 2.0 branch, this is a completely new cart over the 1.3.5 branch, the amount of additional features like pdf invoices, webmail, tinymce, flash zoom ect… have significantly increased the file size which has no bearing on the performance of the cart, database queries and templates have been trimmed to increase performance over 1.3.5, their are literally just way too many improvement to list…

[quote name=‘argosmedia’]I noticed the new beta is about 40MB in size, unpacked! The current version is “only” 25MB, although I have always regarded that as a big script as well. But 40MB… jeez. Why the big difference? Will the final version be about this size too?[/QUOTE]

I agree with everyone else…who cares about the file size. Disk space is cheap, if you are worried about 20 extra mb on your hosting plan you need a new provider or to just find a hosted solution and move on…

New features are good…I just hope CS-Cart is still adding features into 2.0 before it’s released

Snorocket,

[quote name=‘snorocket’]the amount of additional features like pdf invoices, webmail, tinymce, flash zoom ect… [/QUOTE]

Administrator interface is more clear. Totaly loved!

I read your latest messages, I thought to a big step towards Web 2.0. For example, RSS product feed, PDF catalog products, Add This (marketing bookmark) and so on… These tools are the minimum for Web 2.0.

However, CS-Cart development team is in the process of improving the interface. A new and easy to customize interface is nice for non-geek and new comer.

On another hand, it would be nice to be Web 2.0 compatible.

At least with RSS feeds!

Lee Li Pop

I want RSS feed :smiley:

[quote name=‘bluecherry’]I agree with everyone else…who cares about the file size. Disk space is cheap, if you are worried about 20 extra mb on your hosting plan you need a new provider or to just find a hosted solution and move on…

New features are good…I just hope CS-Cart is still adding features into 2.0 before it’s released[/quote]

Well, I don’t really care about the space, I have two servers of my own, and plenty of space. It just takes longer to upload and I like sleek and compact apps.

I wanted to add this here because it seemed appropriate but has anybody noticed the difference in the database size compared to 1.3.5?

My test site has about 95% of all my data from 1.3.5 entered. The only data the test site doesn’t have is Manufacturers and my site news and the database is almost 4 times as small as the 1.3.5 database.

So the application size is bigger, but the database size is smaller?

Version 1.35 = 20mb database

Version 2.01 = 7.9mb database

Huge improvement!

I’ve noticed their is not 4 million tpl’s either, however their is still alot, the file size is bigger because their are alot more addons like webmail, pdf ect…

if Cs has 4million tpls, X**** had 4 Billion!! LOL

GO CS-CART!

[quote name=‘ETInteractive’]if Cs has 4million tpls, X**** had 4 Billion!! LOL

GO CS-CART![/QUOTE]

looking at an X**** site is like looking at a turd in the toilet, there’s nothing you can do about it but flush it and move on…

Sno you crack me up! ROFL :smiley:

[quote name=‘duneraver’]Version 1.35 = 20mb database

Version 2.01 = 7.9mb database

Huge improvement![/QUOTE]

Good News!

Lee Li Pop