Order notification email not sent

Hi,

I’m using a sendmail program to send CS-Cart’s emails. Emails to users about updated profiles are sent without a problem. I have set the order department email on the Administration > Settings > Email page.

When a customer’s CC or PayPal order is processed and automatically set to Processed, an email is supposed to be sent (I’ve checked the “notify orders department” box on the edit status page).

This is extremely strange, since other emails are sending fine using the same mail method. I have followed all of the instructions on this page to no avail: [url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.16.x documentation

Any ideas? Thank you.

There are “Notification Email” bugs in the CSCart v2012 that I am assured by HelpDesk will be fixed in 2.0.13.

Can you try using PHP mail instead of “Sendmail” setting ? although you will still experience the bugs.

I also had problem wit “processed” status sending two emails. HelpDesk gave me a fix for the core code.

And “Open” status not sending email to customer.

And the “Completed” status is also problematic wrt email notifications.

Looking forwartd to having it fixed in 2.0.13

[quote name=‘remoteone’]There are “Notification Email” bugs in the CSCart v2012 that I am assured by HelpDesk will be fixed in 2.0.13.

Can you try using PHP mail instead of “Sendmail” setting ? although you will still experience the bugs.

I also had problem wit “processed” status sending two emails. HelpDesk gave me a fix for the core code.

And “Open” status not sending email to customer.

And the “Completed” status is also problematic wrt email notifications.

Looking forwartd to having it fixed in 2.0.13[/QUOTE]

Uh, yeah, I don’t see how you can sell a cart product if the cart doesn’t notify the orders department…

Thanks for the info.

As to how one can a) ensure automatic notification emails are sent when orders are placed, and b) edit the content of said notification email.

Perhaps I’m afflicted with selective blindnes, but I cannot for the life of me find either one of these options in the ‘settings>emails’ screen, or anywhere else.

The strange thing is, that I can sucessfully send and edit notification emails when order statuses are changed, but not before.

Version 2.0.12.

Please help.

See my reply from CS Cart support for same problem last week.

It looks like the problem is caused by the fact that the “Notify customer” option was enabled for your order statuses in your CS-Cart admin panel, but the “Notify orders department” option was not. In order to check it please open the “Order statuses” page (the link to this page is in the “Orders” tab) in your CS-Cart admin panel, click on the “edit” link of the desired status. Enable the “Notify orders department” option if it is not enabled and click on the “Save” button. These options should be enabled in order that the administrator receives order email notifications about orders with this status. Enable these options for all the necessary order statuses.

Good luck

JOhn

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]See my reply from CS Cart support for same problem last week.

It looks like the problem is caused by the fact that the “Notify customer” option was enabled for your order statuses in your CS-Cart admin panel, but the “Notify orders department” option was not. In order to check it please open the “Order statuses” page (the link to this page is in the “Orders” tab) in your CS-Cart admin panel, click on the “edit” link of the desired status. Enable the “Notify orders department” option if it is not enabled and click on the “Save” button. These options should be enabled in order that the administrator receives order email notifications about orders with this status. Enable these options for all the necessary order statuses.

Good luck

JOhn[/QUOTE]

I have done all this and all of a sudden the notification email to orders department has stopped working.

The site just went live today and our first official order didnt send the notification. Test emails to the address work fine.

I’m stumped …

I’v got same problem with my orders departament email in 2.0.14 version …anyone has idea how to fix it, as phpmail function working propertly…

i seem to be having the same problem. On a test order an e mail goes out to the customer that the order was placed but not to me (order department) notifying me that I have an order. I think all of the correct boxes are checked as described above.

Hello! I have the same issue. The Form Mailer is not working. If I say send emails via php form mailer OR via sendmail, the cart says the emails are being sent successfully, but they are NOT. I haven’t received any emails since April 2nd. At first I thought it was just the Order Notification email, but now I have found the form on the “Contact Us” page and also the “Send to a Friend” forms don’t work, either. The cart says, “Email has been sent successfully,” but I’ll never receive it - not the email for the Orders Department OR the one for the customer (my personal email is the one for the customer while testing the email problem).

I have Go Daddy and have spent countless hours on the phone with them. They keep telling me everything on their end is working. This is a major problem, and I have searched and searched for a solution, but nothing has worked. This seems to be a known bug. In January this year, I started noticing that I would sporatically receive a “payment received” email from PayPal but then no Order Notification email from CS-Cart. Sometimes I would get them, and sometimes I wouldn’t throughout January through April 2nd, with April 2nd being the last time I ever received an Order Notification email from CS-Cart (it was actually the email for a “Failed Order,” but then no email for when the order was completed successfully shortly afterwards on the same day).

I can’t tell CS-Cart to use SMTP to send emails - I just get errors with SMTP from Go Daddy. Go Daddy says don’t use SMTP, because their servers will reject the emails as spam, like this:

Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Data not accepted.

SMTP server error: The message was rejected because it contains prohibited virus or spam content

Go Daddy just wants me to use their form mailer only, which I have no idea how to apply / reference it within CS-Cart, and wouldn’t want to if I could. Tony says it’s junk as a form mailer anyway, like it was “written by a high school student.” Also, Go Daddy says it shows their server sent out __ # of messages on any given day from our site (just shows when the server hits a relay, it keeps tabs on how many times this happens), but we never receive the messages and they say they can’t see any of the message details, just the number of server hits.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Tony from EZ Merchant Solutions has been trying to help me (he’s awesome), but we still haven’t found a solution. Please help!!

Thank you,

Susie

Suzie, doubt you really want to hear this, and no offense, HOWEVER, Go-Daddy is great for beginners web hosting (only if you are on a very tight budget) & domain name registrations… :frowning:

Sort of like, are you enjoying beating your head against the desk? (Eventually it can lead to headaches, nausea, and even a coma)

My head hurts… :frowning:

[quote name=‘susie’]My head hurts… :([/QUOTE]

I understand Sweetness! :wink:

There may be one or two left here in the forums that will disagree with me, however, the majority will tell you to find a business level host and start moving your site, it’s not that difficult.

I personally like Hostgator quite well (running Level 3 VPS), however, there are plenty of good hosts out there to choose from.

What kind of a budget do you have to work with?

Struck is correct susie

I would be happy to give you a free temporary account and copy your site over to our servers if you would like to test it’s performance on another host. The SMTP function will not work without changing your name servers away from GoDaddy however the sendmail and phpmail will function via dedicated IP access while testing.

Hello! I thought I set-up my Forum Account to send me an email when someone replied. I didn’t see the rest of the last email from Struck or any of the one from S-Combs. Thank you both for your suggestions and offer to help. I may need to take you up on that one in the future but for now . . . the php form mailer emails are working!!! All of them! My first clue was that we had an order last night from our website, and we actually received an Order Notification email! Then I tried the “Contact Us” and “Send to a Friend” forms, and I got those, too!!! :smiley: :smiley: Yes, I am blessed!

The magical secret was that CS Cart was screwing up and leaving the “From” part of all our php form mailer emails blank, and so GoDaddy’s servers were rejecting the emails or sending them off into a mysterious abyss. Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, Tony applied a patch to our site to go from version 2.0.15.5 to 2.0.15.6. The Release Notes said, “[COLOR=“royalblue”]2.0.15.6: Fix for mail from when using php mail function[/COLOR].” When the patch was first applied yesterday, I still wasn’t receiving any emails, and I noticed that my Store Categories and Sub-Cats were no longer being sorted alphabetically. So I opened the core/fn.catalog.php file, changed this part:

‘sort_by’ => ‘position’,

to this:

‘sort_by’ => ‘name’,

and saved it. But I accidentally had “Wordwrap” on in Notepad (something I never do), so Notepad screwed up the formatting of the file, and our website wasn’t working right at all. So Tony told me how to reapply the patch and . . . now the php form mailer is working!!!

I asked Tony what the patch was for (that I couldn’t be the only one whose form mailer wasn’t working if someone made a patch for it, and he said:

“It was a fix I had already applied to your site manually. In some cases using php mail it would end up with an empty from field which your go daddy mailer would probably reject as spam.”

GoDaddy was trying to tell me the error was with the “from” part of our emails back on July 31st. Here are my notes from that conversation:

[COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]The Tech Support guy who answered asked one of the “higher-ups,” who looked into the code for our site (something beyond the scope of what they normally do), and this guy said:

“The problem is the send address you’re using is not an email address in that account or hosted with them.”

“Change the From email address to one that is hosted with us.”

In our code, there is a “From” email address that is not hosted with GoDaddy.

He said the symptom of what we’re having is a result of not sending an email from a GoDaddy email account. But of course he couldn’t tell me what that email account was.[/COLOR]

So now others can try to see how this problem could happen with other hosting accounts, and still eventually be fixed. I suppose it is possible that hosts other than GoDaddy might still send off emails with no name / email address in the “From” part of the email (which certainly would have helped me troubleshoot this!), but if the host’s server didn’t block the email, I am sure the recipient’s spam filters would!

Thanks again everybody! I’m so happy!!! Happy!! Happy!!! (I have seriously spent SO MANY hours trying to fix this stinking problem! Oy!) :smiley: :smiley:

It was Tony from EZ Merchant Solutions / ez-ms.com who created the patch that solved my problem - NOT the makers of CS-Cart. He said when he sent the fix to the makers of CS-Cart, they said they couldn’t reproduce the problem, and so they said the change wasn’t necessary. Yes, it IS necessary!

Thank you, Tony!!! Tony is sooooo awesome and wonderful!!! He had also spent a bunch of time trying to fix this issue for me. Thank you again!!! :slight_smile:

Here is the fix that Tony from http://www.ez-ms.com used to make my php form mailer send emails again:

In fn.common.php in the function fn_send_mail() change the lines:

$mailer->From = $__from[‘email’];

$mailer->FromName = $__from[‘name’];

to:

/* EZms use method versus properties

$mailer->From = $__from[‘email’];

$mailer->FromName = $__from[‘name’];

*/

$mailer->SetFrom($__from[‘email’], $__from[‘name’]);

[COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]Why the fix?

I “think” the issue is caused by a bad php.ini “sendmail_from” setting. On a properly configured php system it would probably work as cs-cart has it coded. But on one that isn’t, the fix will address the issue. Using the SetFrom() method versus setting the From and FromName properties is a more robust solution anyway since it will do the right thing whether $mailer->Sender is set of not (the bug is that it’s not being set causing the sendmail command to be “sendmail -of” where the ‘f’ flag requires a valid from address as the parameter).

tony[/COLOR]

Hi Susie,

Really thanks for the information provided, it’s really useful and I’ve finally resolved this issue by applying the suggestion posted.

I think CS-Cart should take this seriously as a bug as it’s a genuine problem and seems it’s not only a person that experiencing that.

Btw, thanks for sharing and have my issue resolved :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad Tony’s solution has helped you as well. No doubt this is an issue for many others in addition to us, whose hosting providers are allowing the emails to be sent without a “From” name in the sender part of the email. For those who have this happening, I am sure most or many of these emails are likely ending up in Spam folders and being deleted unread.

Blackmagic - what hosting provider are you using for your shopping cart? Is it also GoDaddy like me?

[quote name=‘susie’] When the patch was first applied yesterday, I still wasn’t receiving any emails, and I noticed that my Store Categories and Sub-Cats were no longer being sorted alphabetically. So I opened the core/fn.catalog.php file, changed this part:

‘sort_by’ => ‘position’,

to this:

‘sort_by’ => ‘name’,

[/QUOTE]

Hi Susie,

I am experiencing the exact same problem with GoDaddy hosting. I am so glad to find this thread and your full detailed post. I appreciate it very much. It helps me understand what is going on, not just a fix.

Now I have a few questions for you (and maybe Tony).

1. You changed ‘sort_by’ as in the quote. I don’t see any relation of it to the fix. Can you explain a little more on that? Why does it matter the order of putting a patch and this change?

2. Simple change seems not working. How can I apply the patch you mentioned?

3. As always when we do change/modify the code we have to think about the upgrade. If fn.common.php is overwritten by a new version, we have to change it manually again. How can we prevent that?

Thanks so much for your contribution!!