No "logo" In Admin For 2.2.1

We operate multiple sites (pro and community edition) and the fact that there is no longer an option to put a “logo” in the upper left hand corner. Since the admin is already the same on each site this just doesn't seem like the best idea. Having our own “logo” in the admin area of the site made it faster and easier for us to identify which site we were on when talking with a customer on the phone.

So I am wondering, was there those of us using CS-Cart that requested that the “logo” or image get removed from the admin area? If so, what would be the reasoning? In my mind if you did not want a logo you should be able to leave it blank or add something.

I am guessing that this would be easy to add, but again, why was it taken out?

Or…I guess I could be missing it altogether and the option to put an admin image is still there but it is in a new spot?

I also know that with the other bugs, etc. this is probably minor issue, but it is important to us.

It should be showing the Company Name. Realize this isn't an image, but it could be unique per site…

I had changed some colors in the styles for each of our sites. Makes real easy to tell the difference and still keep screen uncluttered.

Dave

You do know that you can have your own styles via the index:styles hook in the admin side just like in the customer side? You could then color the background of the header area to be different for each of your sites.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1310414848' post='116920']

You do know that you can have your own styles via the index:styles hook in the admin side just like in the customer side? You could then color the background of the header area to be different for each of your sites.

[/quote]

I guess I'll have to try this out. I've still never figured out the hook thing yet and was lost on the front end until Brandon helped out. With as many sites as we have we will have to use a whole rainbow of colors.

The image we had before just made it simpler and much easier. I guess I just don't understand why even the simple things like this have to go backwards. It was easy to just take the logo from the front end and put “ADMIN” across it and make it easy for us to quickly tell what admin site we're on. When you're taking a phone call sometimes you want to keep it as simple as possible to not get too confused. Since some of our operating names/sites are so close each other it isn't really enough to just put the name.

I am still wondering if we actually voted on this? I've gone through the user voice before and just do not remember seeing this as one of the topics. I don't remember ever seeing it requested in the forums that we needed to zap the image in the admin area. Did I miss this conversation?

Again, I know it can be petty to some, but it is something we got used to and something that helped things flow better for us.

1. Backward is in the eye of the beholder… Personally, I thought an image for the admin side was kind of a waste of header space unless one took the time to make it really small.
  2. We only vote on things we want, not what a developer who wants to play gets to do… Generally, they've done pretty good at containing themselves and in listening to what people want. However, they many times here enough to get their own thinking started and then the customer input stops. But it's much better than it was.

Also, need to consider the sales side of things… Having an admin that “looks good” that might even go backward will sell a lot more new carts (where they make the most money) than the older style interface that might have been more functional.

Don't you have different company names for the different stores?

Have you figured out where they might have put the “View Storefront” link that used to be there too? It's now an itty bitty icon next to the company name…

I think the flow of the new admin looks good and is very functional from what I have tested so far. The lack of the logo not only keeps the admin more “generic” but does mess with the quick identification.

For example…

Susan's Book Depot

…and…

Susan's Magazine Shop

…both have very similar names. While they both serve somewhat different functions, they both can offer some of the same things. On the customer service side, when someone calls in you may often have to respond quickly to look up a customers order. The logo of the site just helps identify faster.

Yeah, on the view storefront, it took me a while to find it. They sure kept is very small.

In regards to selling more copies of a shopping cart just because the admin looks good even when it looses functionality, I sure hope this is not the way they go. Right now, the only thing other than the logo that I think they have messed up BIG TIME in the admin is the way they changed the “quick view” on the initial loading page. It too has gone more generic.

Either way, most of our primary sites are still on 2.1.4 and not on 2.2.1 yet. We like to start with other, smaller sites and learn from there. It makes the switch to the sites we actually pay the bills with, less painful. Not to mention it give CS a chance to fix some of the bugs.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1310518392' post='117112']

…Have you figured out where they might have put the “View Storefront” link that used to be there too? It's now an itty bitty icon next to the company name…

[/quote]

Thank you - I was wondering where the link was.

In the upper left hand side of your admin, where they now list the name of your company/website, there is a little square box with an arrow pointing to the right. It is VERY small and VERY easy to not see. Once you know it is there it is not too bad.

I would never have found it without having looked at the source template code and seen where it was placed…

Time for adjustment to new look/feel. Would have thought it would have been in the Design menu or Content menu…

I really love the new admin and actually found the view shop button immediately.

I would love to get the admin logo back though! It just looked so much more professional.

(Our logo is not high so it didn't take extra space).