New York City Taxes for Clothing and Jewelry under $55

Hi,

Has anyone solved the issue relating to selling clothing and jewelry to customers within NYC? Apparently this is unsupported by CS Cart, as it requires a rule that eliminates taxes for items under $55 (clothing and jewelry).

Specifically, the NYC tax rule is as stated here:

[url]http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/business/business_tax_nys_sales.shtml[/url]

Anyone solve this one? Ideas?

Thanks!

[quote name=‘esteve’]Hi,

Has anyone solved the issue relating to selling clothing and jewelry to customers within NYC? Apparently this is unsupported by CS Cart, as it requires a rule that eliminates taxes for items under $55 (clothing and jewelry).

Specifically, the NYC tax rule is as stated here:

[url]http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/business/business_tax_nys_sales.shtml[/url]

Anyone solve this one? Ideas?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hello esteve,

Please note that you can create an additional tax for the New York location and define this tax for necessary products only. You can enable or disable the tax in the “Taxes” field in the “Pricing / inventory” section in the “General” tab on the product details page in the administration panel of the store.

I hope it will help you.

Thank you.

Mikhail Ponomarev

CS-Cart Support team

Thanks for the tip.

I tried adding a new tax for just cities within New York, to be 4.375%, but it seems that the New York State tax is still applied for products I specified to have the “New York City Tax” as well.

If one tax is for New York State, and one is a subset of cities within New York State, can one override the other?

These overlap right now, so maybe the New York State tax takes precedence?

Thanks,

Steve

[quote name=‘esteve’]Thanks for the tip.

I tried adding a new tax for just cities within New York, to be 4.375%, but it seems that the New York State tax is still applied for products I specified to have the “New York City Tax” as well.

If one tax is for New York State, and one is a subset of cities within New York State, can one override the other?

These overlap right now, so maybe the New York State tax takes precedence?

Thanks,

Steve[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this problem on our default CS-Cart.

Maybe the locations are defined incorrectly in your store.

I advise you to post a ticket in our Customer Help Desk and provide us with a temporary FTP access to your server, in order that we could check it for you.

Thank you.

Mikhail Ponomarev

CS-Cart Support tea

In case anyone else has this issue, here was my solution, that I think is working so far:

1. Create a New York City location and paste in all zip codes designated for NYC
  2. Add two tax rules 1) NYC Non-taxable, 2) NYC Taxable
  3. Add one tax rule for New York State
  4. NYC Non-taxable - leave values at zero for NYC, NYC Taxable - 8.875 for NYC location
  5. NY State - 8.875 for New York State location
  6. Assign non-taxable rule to every catalog item under $55 for clothing and footwwear
  7. Assign NYC taxable to every catalog item over $55 and other product types
  8. Assign New York State tax to every item in the catalog

Hope that might help someone else…

Thanks

Another way to do this is to use the TaxCloud module, which takes care of these sorts of exemptions automatically.

According to the TaxCloud site page listing integration code, [quote]• CS-Cart In Progress[/quote].

Seems like a good service for those that have to pay sales taxes to multiple entities.

Bob