New Skin Best Practices

Well 2.0.11 made some changes to how templates are loaded up… it removed from features and put them in their own files… this could be the culprit for some things not showing up anymore

[quote name=‘dragondf’]Hello people,

This looks like a very good thread.

I am studying how to make adjustments in CSS and html from the store, but I had worked in a costumer skin in september 09 (I don’t remember the version, maybe 2.05… less than 2.08).

I modified a lot of things, specially images and colours.

I haven’t understood what you are talking about HOOK. What does it mean?

In spite of all, I did this:

1st: copied the directory called “electro” from the OLD store (in the server) to my computer.

After this, I renamed the archieve “minifest.ini” like ETInteractive suggest. I called it “cia skin”

After this, I uploaded all data (directory ciaskin) to the skins/ directory in the NEW VERSION store (2.0.11).

When I tryed to see this option (cia skin) in the ADMINISTRATION PANEL, It was not there.

2nd: I uploaded the directory “ciaskin”(old store) to the “var/skins_repository” (new store) and it appeared in the ADMINISTRATION PANEL like you can see in the image, in attach.

All translation I had in the COSTUMER PAGE (index.php), it has not came with the skin or the TRANSLATION data, when I export in the old version and import in new version.

Categories haven’t came, too. I will need to insert all them, again.

I think there is a way to IMPORT everything, but I don’t know how yet. I am studying docs. Maybe in a few time I will help more.

Tks![/QUOTE]

Things has not worked fine.

My “migration” from the OLD skin to the NEW skin has not worked fine.

Maybe, the problem is in me. I need to study more.

Maybe, the problem is in the fact that each time CS-CART create a new version, we don’t know what has changed and if we can use a way to MIGRATE everything we need to the new version, specially: PRODUCTS, SKINS, CLIENTS, categories and IMAGES.

For me, like I said, pages are not working fine.

I can show you an example:

This image shows you how ELETRO SKIN (default) is. It has tabs.

This other image shows you how my CIA SKIN is NOW. It has not tabs. Very strange.

I will need to reconfigure everything again.

This makes me think:

Will I need to do this everytime a NEW VERSION is released? Or not?

Each new feature can, at least, say what will and what will not work?

And why I ask (think) this?

Because we spend time to do this to each NEW VERSION…

Some times, people pay (like I did and I do not want to do more… for this I am studying the cs-cart code) for developers to make the adjusts or new mods that will not be compatible with a new version.

If people coud say: DATABASE will work very well. They are the same. You can export and import.

IMAGES will work.

Skins, we create a new directory that do this or that. So you will need to make a litle bit adjusts.

Clients: no problem to export and import them.

I believe it could make more easy to update versions.

Every time I see people here asking how to migrate from a version to the next version.

Maybe I am wrong. I will wait your ideas.

Thanks!

OPS: one more thing:

How can I create more TABs in Product’s page like I have shown you in the image?