New look-n-feel of the admin panel?

Noticed in the Labs section today that the admin is taking on a new design. Not sure if I like it or not. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this yet and what everyone else thinks? Besides the obvious…why are we wasting time and resources on admin design. Where is the JQuery Update?

Stu

Seems slower. I know it’s not complete but it’s slow.

I like the layout and CS finally went with my admin drop-down navigation idea which makes browsing the admin side alot faster with less clicks, I think a better choice of colors can be picked, the soft feminine colors should go - Sno

I looked and think the new design and layout are great. There are some rough edges like the product page with all of the product tabs, but good progress.

I hope when they are designing for compatibility, they take into consideration tablet and slates devices like the iPad, Xoom, etc. I tried the admin page on my iPad and the floating tools like the search and add product doesn’t float. It covers the products and make it difficult to navigate.

Adam

I like the new design especially the new navigation. I have been branding customers admin areas for years and I’m glad CS have made improvements in this area.

I do have a few critisisms though.

1. I think the colours need to be worked on. I think it is currently too flat and a lot of the main functionality does not stand out enough for me. The buttons need much much more prominence.

2. How about making the ‘Quick menu’ sit in the top nav bar instead of floating? Every customer of mine just throws it to the side which is a shame as it is a great little tool.

3. As said earlier, something better needs to be done about pages that feature many sub pages (the product details pages for example). Perhaps using something like what has been done on the settings pages where the sub nav is a list to the left of the main content area?

I’m glad to see CSC taking some time to refresh the admin interface. It make sense as they’ve integrated JQuery 1.5 and JQuery UI. I agree with glyndon on most points, but I would:

1. provide a few color palletes for the admin interface
  2. place the Quick Menu in the bottom toolbar so it’s always visible
  3. add user-definable Keyboard Shortcuts functionality to the Quick Menu and standard Keyboard Shortcuts to “Save”, “Save and Close”, “Cancel”, etc

Glen

I like the idea of moving the Quick Menu. I move it out of the way and on tablets and slates it doesn’t work great.

I have been using a lot of different web-based products lately and I think added a global search to the top would be very helpful. From there I should be able to look-up at least a product, customer, and customer order.

I personally don’t see a need for keyboard shortcuts.

To glyndon’s point:

[quote name=‘glyndon’]3) As said earlier, something better needs to be done about pages that feature many sub pages (the product details pages for example). Perhaps using something like what has been done on the settings pages where the sub nav is a list to the left of the main content area?[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. The second level nav needs to be cleaner and be able to handle a lot of options. The left side sounds like a good option.

Is this something that’s in the brand new release? Or is it like a beta? I’m considering upgrading but it makes me nervous (first time using this software on our cart).

where you kan see the new admin layout?

Thanks

You have to log in here with your forum id and password:

[URL=“http://labs.cs-cart.com/admin.php”]http://labs.cs-cart.com/admin.php[/URL]

This is for cs-cart labs. It is a concept cart. There is a section in the forum dedicated to the lab cart. [URL=“http://forum.cs-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49”]http://forum.cs-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49[/URL]

Bob

[quote name=‘pbannette’]You have to log in here with your forum id and password:

[URL=“http://labs.cs-cart.com/admin.php”]http://labs.cs-cart.com/admin.php[/URL]

This is for cs-cart labs. It is a concept cart. There is a section in the forum dedicated to the lab cart. [URL=“http://forum.cs-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49”]http://forum.cs-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49[/URL]

Bob[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob

Thanks Bob

Ive just started trialing the new 2.2.1. The menus and dropdowns are slightly more logical, and the product thumbnails are a great addition.

Overall however, Im not impressed.

The products: “Secondary Categories” is now Vertically in-line instead of being Tabbed. Bring Back the tabs !

With sometimes 50-200 Secondary cats assigned to my products, this new look is totally counter productive. And the new Products: Add Categories popup is even more ridiculous. No longer a nice compact expandable box, its now over-padded and over-margin'd and has you scrolling up and down a tiny box. Its horrible.

Indeed the whole Admin side is now taking up far too much screen real estate.

Im well aware that each developer has different needs, but IMHO the “Pretty” interface the team have come up with in 2.2.1 is not a plus for productivity.

Now how about providing 2 or 3 Admin Skins to select from.?

Productivity has been lost at the expense of attractiveness. Ive had to spend hours fixing the CSS so I can use it productively!

The Categories side still doesnt allow Cloning and there is still no “Parent Category” checkbox when bulk editing categories.

[quote name='remoteone' timestamp='1313151841' post='119414']

The products: “Secondary Categories” is now Vertically in-line instead of being Tabbed. Bring Back the tabs !

With sometimes 50-200 Secondary cats assigned to my products, this new look is totally counter productive. And the new Products: Add Categories popup is even more ridiculous. No longer a nice compact expandable box, its now over-padded and over-margin'd and has you scrolling up and down a tiny box. Its horrible.

Indeed the whole Admin side is now taking up far too much screen real estate.

Im well aware that each developer has different needs, but IMHO the “Pretty” interface the team have come up with in 2.2.1 is not a plus for productivity.

Now how about providing 2 or 3 Admin Skins to select from.?

Productivity has been lost at the expense of attractiveness. Ive had to spend hours fixing the CSS so I can use it productively!

The Categories side still doesnt allow Cloning and there is still no “Parent Category” checkbox when bulk editing categories.

[/quote]

We experience exactly the same problem here! Please bring back the tab.

[quote name='dennis' timestamp='1315568318' post='121316']

We experience exactly the same problem here! Please bring back the tab.

[/quote]

I personally prefer the way they set up categories as most of the stores I run only have 1-3 categories per product and this makes it much easier to manage. Overall I completely love the new layout of the admin panel. I have only updated one of my stores to 2.2.2 but plan on doing the rest shortly just because the new layout is much more intuitive for my customer (and my own) business use.

[quote name='whiplash13' timestamp='1315572619' post='121318']

I personally prefer the way they set up categories [/quote]

The point is this… If I may be so bold as to state the obvious…

Any changes to the way the Admin side Looks and Feels MUST be to benefit of ALL potential and current CS Cart software users.

What sort of marketing strategy would leave some loyal clients looking elsewhere for Cart software for their next online store? IMHO despite the improvements in many areas, the new backend, overall is counter productive in so many ways. If you only have 3 categories, sure , clearly you wont notice the limitations, nor notice the yet to be addressed bugs with the secondary categories management.

[quote name='remoteone' timestamp='1320065558' post='124969']

The point is this… If I may be so bold as to state the obvious…

Any changes to the way the Admin side Looks and Feels MUST be to benefit of ALL potential and current CS Cart software users.

What sort of marketing strategy would leave some loyal clients looking elsewhere for Cart software for their next online store? IMHO despite the improvements in many areas, the new backend, overall is counter productive in so many ways. If you only have 3 categories, sure , clearly you wont notice the limitations, nor notice the yet to be addressed bugs with the secondary categories management.

[/quote]

First off you comment about benefiting ALL potential and current CS Cart software users is way off the mark because you can never make EVERYONE happy. That is just silly talk and completely unrealistic. Also I would think associating a single product to 1-3 categories is more of the common place on how most cart owners use the system then those that associate a single product to 10 or more categories.

The original admin skin was the 'basic' skin.

Not clear why (since this is supposedly one of cs-cart's strengths) the new skin wasn't just done as a different skin (like 'admin2'. That way people who were comfortable with the old could continue to use it and braver souls could have jumped on the new one.

Made no sense in my mind to replace and cause a new learning curve for everyone considering the basic functionality didn't change.

Some dumb decisions were made (from an addon developers perspective) like changing the menu from Users to Customers and then having a Users menu in the Customers menu (how was this beneficial or useful?). No value was added and Users (given the menu list) is a much more correct term. Hence, as an addon developer, my addons now create a new “Users” menu to list an item so the addon can work with both versions… Just one of many small annoyances where all it would take is for the person making these decisions to put on a 3rd party developer hat before making them. A merchant hat would help a lot too. I.e. someone who's busy with other things than learning a new admin interface to their sales tool.

But this is all blithering about the past… But hopefully it could come into consideration for future changes.

[quote]That is just silly talk and completely unrealistic…[/quote]

Not Silly… and not unrealistic to expect that the software will be improved with each new version. You seem to be taking my comments personally. My comments are directed at the software usability, not the software users…

[quote]

… Also I would think associating a single product to 1-3 categories is more of the common place…

[/quote]

Sure …Absolutely, and if my next store fits that criteria, Ill use cs-cart as-is, but how does your opinion help me with my current issue?

I feel theres so many other important things to address than a “nice” feel.

Like custom product fields that only show up in the admin side, Same for shipping methods,

And product options need a “option name” seen by admin only, and a “store name” that is seen in the stores product options. etc etc.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1320090495' post='125023']

… hopefully it could come into consideration for future changes.

[/quote]

I agree completely … Store owners often manage more than one store… Why not add the new skin as an addition rather than a replacement. Often its the subtle things that are just annoying, like changing the “sign -in” button from the right side to the left. Why bother … blah blah

I actually prefer the new look and feel of the admin panel. I am only running one of my stores on 2.2.3 all the rest are on 2.1.4 or earlier so I don't get the benefit of the new admin in those stores.I actually find it “odd” (not bad) when working in those stores on my customer's behalf. However, I agree 100% they should have just offered it as a new skin. I don't recall reading of any users complaining about the admin panel layout in 2.1.4 so obviously this wasn't an issue for most users. Maybe the old layout wasn't compatible with the new jquery library? who knows.

@remoteone

I didn't take your comments personally so no worries, but I manage software development projects for a living and know from experience using words like “All” and “Every” when talking about satisfaction just aren't realistic.