Need some info about weight at USPS

I sell a brand with some unique laptop bags in Norway(, there’s only one more reseller in Europe of these bags and they are a lot more expensive than I am,) and the manufacturer asked me if he could refer euro customers to me. The problem today is that the freight cost from Norway to the other European countries is approx 75 $, which is quite high. Shipwire is one possibillity to deliver the goods, but this solution could be very suitable for me if the freight cost is low enough.

So what I am wondering about is how USPS calculate the weight of the parcels. I can’t seem to find any info about, which could indicate that the weight would be the physical weight of the parcel (5 lbs = approx. 40 $ freight cost).Or do they calculate the weight from how many cubic feet the parcel is, as they do in Norway?

(Ex. 1.5 cubic feet equals 15 lbs.)

This solution would also reduce my import costs alot as I pay almost as much to transport the bags into Norway as I pay for them. So with the cost for each bag almost cut to the half (excluding 25 % vat. in Norway as I am registered as a company here and will have to pay the vat), I could lower the price so the total cost for my customers would be approx. the same as my Norwegian customers pay. They would still have to pay the local VAT and any customs to their country.

So is there any US merchandisers that could help me with an answer for this question?

I believe with international it’s based on the weight. At least with the software I use, only for domestic US packages require size of the box (unless using flat rate boxes).

Simple answer for “how USPS calculate the weight of the parcels” would be "by using scales to measure the force exerted on a mass by the gravity of the earth, then to convert that measurement into a calculation of the object’s mass.

“Dimensional weight” is used … : [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_weight[/url]

In general all USPS Domestic and International postage prices are based on the weight and destination. They have some limitations regarding package dimensions etc. Here you can play with USPS calculators: [url]http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm[/url]

Again there are some exceptions. For example: Priority Mail flate rate boxes and envelopes with weight limit for each type of packaging.

• Domestic Price Charts: [url]http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm[/url]
  • International Price Charts: [url]http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/immctry.htm[/url]

How exactly they are getting rates for different destinations … well … they won’t tell, but most likely USPS rates are based on the weight , distance and mail processing technology limitations.

You can try reverse engineering using USPS calculators for different destinations and the same package (weight, size etc.). It will tell you a number - the cost per one distance unit, but not the method (like fuel cost, transportation type etc. etc.)

I do not see how this helps unless your manufacturer is in the U.S.

[quote name=‘eplebiten’]I sell a brand with some unique laptop bags in Norway(, there’s only one more reseller in Europe of these bags and they are a lot more expensive than I am,) and the manufacturer asked me if he could refer euro customers to me. The problem today is that the freight cost from Norway to the other European countries is approx 75 $, which is quite high. Shipwire is one possibillity to deliver the goods, but this solution could be very suitable for me if the freight cost is low enough.

So what I am wondering about is how USPS calculate the weight of the parcels. I can’t seem to find any info about, which could indicate that the weight would be the physical weight of the parcel (5 lbs = approx. 40 $ freight cost).Or do they calculate the weight from how many cubic feet the parcel is, as they do in Norway?

(Ex. 1.5 cubic feet equals 15 lbs.)

This solution would also reduce my import costs alot as I pay almost as much to transport the bags into Norway as I pay for them. So with the cost for each bag almost cut to the half (excluding 25 % vat. in Norway as I am registered as a company here and will have to pay the vat), I could lower the price so the total cost for my customers would be approx. the same as my Norwegian customers pay. They would still have to pay the local VAT and any customs to their country.

So is there any US merchandisers that could help me with an answer for this question?[/QUOTE]