Native Status in Canada and Taxes

Hello,

We are having a problem with Native Status setup in our Cart, any suggestions would help?

So the issue is as follows

Off reserve natives pay 5% taxes

On Reserve natives pay 0% Taxes

So we are having two issues.

1. On Reserve natives we are just giving the Tax exempt button to them and then if they ship off reserve we are liable with the Canadian government for the 5% taxes.

2. Off Reserve Natives are still being forced to either pay full taxes or no taxes cause we have found no solutions.

Is there any way to solve this in the CS cart setup by default or is this to complex for their tax system?

Greg Laver

You will have to narrow it down by using locations and zip codes.

So in essence, we'd need to find the locations of all reserves, and exempt those locations by Postal Code? What about Natives off reserve then? Would we need to manually adjust their taxes to 5% then? Off reserve Natives could reside anywhere, so using Postal Codes only fixes half of the problem.

[quote name=‘DRodrigues’ timestamp=‘1363273387’ post=‘157750’]

So in essence, we’d need to find the locations of all reserves, and exempt those locations by Postal Code? What about Natives off reserve then? Would we need to manually adjust their taxes to 5% then? Off reserve Natives could reside anywhere, so using Postal Codes only fixes half of the problem.

[/quote]

I often wonder how they manage to get the pools inside the teepee’s anyhow?

Regardless, you would need to do something like this:

Create new “Locations” for each of your Reserves and assign the relevant Zip Codes to each of these reserves based upon the “Ship to” address. You would then make these Reserve Locations Tax Exempt.

The differences between Locations & Localizations confuse many CS-Cart users starting out, so be sure to focus only on “Locations” in your case. ;-)

So, the key will be to create more granular segments (Locations) which will allow you the additional control you require for specific taxation.

I'm giving an example based on what you described.

In Locations, set up “Canada”. Then set up another location “Canada (Reserve)” (or something to help distinguish between the 2) and enter postal codes relevant. When you go to taxes, these locations will show up and you simply configure the relevant tax.

Hi The Tool,

I looked into this method already

the problem is not everybody on the Reserve gets these special taxes rates.

and also everybody off the reserve will have just any old Canadian postal code.

Any other ideas on how to do this?

Greg Laver

Well setting it up like I said will at least cut your losses. Everybody off the reserve will fall under the “Canada” location which shouldn't have any postal codes set up meaning it covers all of Canada.