Mysql settings - max_connections

Received a support email from my server support and they made some adjustments. I'm a little concerned about the max connecctions going from 500 down to 64. Is this reasonable? Seems a bit drastic

“A member of our monitoring team found your server in an unresponsive state today, and rebooted it. The following actions were taken to prevent this from happening again:

-Decreased mysql max_connections from 500 to 64;

-Added mysql max_heap_table_size of 64M;

-Added mysql tmp_table_size of 64M;

-Added mysql interactive_timeout of 300.”

Thanks for any insight.

Effectively the 65th (and subsequent) concurrent connection to the MySQL database will fail. If you have 64 or more concurrent connections - which can be made by server processes and user interaction, you are going to run into problems. If you send out a mass mail or your site(s) get featured on a popular website which in turns sends a lot of traffic in a short space of time to your site, you may find users will receive errors because a connection could not be made to the database. If I remember correctly the default is somewhere around 151. Lowering the max_connections value will lower the memory consumption, but 64 is too low imo.

Thank you. I had them set it to 256.

If you chanage the 'max_connections' value then other MySQL settings have to be changed/optimized as well. Here is an example with 'max_connections=150':

max_connections=150

key_buffer_size=240M

join_buffer_size=512K

query_cache_type=1

query_cache_size=96M

query_cache_limit=90M

query_cache_min_res_unit=4K

is that config right?

key_buffer_size = 256M

join_buffer_size = 128M

read_buffer_size = 128M

sort_buffer_size = 128M