Multi-Vendor Data Transfer - How?

Trying to figure out the last piece of the process in completing Multi-Vendor software updates, and after days of research, emails to support and frustration I'm hoping someone can help:

How to I move data from an older version database to a new version database?

I have a Development site, and no problem clearing and overwriting it with the Live site files/database prior to updating. I process the software updates on the Development site with no problem. I know I can then copy the folders/file from the Development site (4.3.8) to the Live site (older 4.3.7). However, how do I move data from the 4.3.7 database to the 4.3.8 database prior to moving it over to the live site so that I don't lose live data? Since I don't know if the software upgrade changed the database structures I need a process that will work if there were changes.

Since Multi-Vendor does not have a Store Import function that path is ruled out. I've seen references to using the Backup/Restore function, using the Admin functions for exporting/importing data, or using MySQLDump. Suggestions?

Does anyone copy over their upgraded software from their Development site to the Live site or do most of you simply do updates directly to your Live site after testing on a Development site first?

Thanks,

Mark

Why you cannot upgrade 4.3.7 version to 4.3.8? In this case versions on dev and live environments will be equal and it will simplify the process.

According to CS-Cart support that is what I will need to do. I had hoped to make all my changes on the Development side, test and then copy everything over to the Live site to go live with the changes.

Based on what I was just told by CS-Cart Support, it is not possible to move data between databases of different versions. Therefore I'll use the Development site to install and test updates only and when I'm confident they work I will then go back to the Live site and once again perform the same updates.

Thanks,

Mark

According to CS-Cart support that is what I will need to do. I had hoped to make all my changes on the Development side, test and then copy everything over to the Live site to go live with the changes.

Based on what I was just told by CS-Cart Support, it is not possible to move data between databases of different versions. Therefore I'll use the Development site to install and test updates only and when I'm confident they work I will then go back to the Live site and once again perform the same updates.

Thanks,

Mark

That would be the proper use of a development site. However, if you are planning on doing extensive development (best practices) then if done correctly, there will be no changes to core files so you can simply apply your changes from the addon they were developed in back into your production site. However, if you've edited distributed files, then you've pretty much cooked your own goose (Happy Thanksgiving).