More SEO Basics ?

[quote name=‘unique2’]So just to recap:

1.) with html catalog on your links will look like www.xxxx.com/catalog/name-of-product.html

This is good for SEO and it is faster because no dynamic pages?

2.) with html catalog off you links will look like www.xxxx.com/name-of-product.html

This is bad for SEO and bad for speed?

Right?

I am having a hard time following what would product a 404 error? Can you explain in more detail? I need to modify my htaccess file to if I decide to do html catalogging on or off?[/quote]

To #1:

• yes, it’s faster, but e.g. if you change the price in your product (or make other changes) you must clear the cache, because what’s static is static, thats mean, the changed static page must be renewed.
  • for SEO is a short URL better as a long one. I don’t want to say thats absolutely wrong, but the word “catalog” is from the SEO point trivial. It make only the URL longer, nothing else.

To #2:
  • it’s better for SEO as #1
  • bad for speed is relevant: (depending on #of products and hosting)

From marketing viewpoint it’s so:

If you have 1000+ products and a bad hosting provider it will kill your business if you site load to slow (or never) and here doesn’t matter if you have “catalog” ON or OFF.

The page loading speed (time) looks like this (#1 = best):

1. Dedicated hosting + catalog on
  2. Dedicated hosting + catalog off
  3. VPS hosting + catalog on
  4. VPS hosting + catalog off
  5. Shared hosting + catalog on
  6. Shared hosting + catalog off

Thanks indy.

From what you are saying it seems like I am doing the most I can for SEO on this topic.

I have dedicated hosting with HTML catalog turned off. So my URL’s contain both categories and subcategories and then the product name (which you were saying is better) Seems like my site is loading fine, so I am going to keep it this way if I am understanding this correctly.

Hello Unique2,

You can read this thread:

[URL]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=13728[/URL]

Especialy this post could interest you:

[URL]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=65597#post65597[/URL]

Lee Li Pop