More SEO Basics ?

I’ve also read the manual and done some searching for basic SEO information…

It appears that turning on the SEO addon will create static pages for my products and categories…

I guess I have some questions regarding what is actually happening here…

Is this physically creating static pages on my site? If so where do these pages go?

What happens if something changes on a product or category…Is the static page automatically regenerated?

How do I keep dynamic pages from being indexed…is that done by Disallow /index.php in robots.txt?

Is it worth the time and effort to use metatag entries when adding a product or page…or are page title and solid content all you need?

is htacess with the seo rewrite code needed at the root of the store or the root of the domain?

[COLOR=“Magenta”]*edit it appears this is in /store root…you can turn SEO on after you edit the htacess file for the correct rewrite path for the store as shown in Liefs SEO post[/COLOR]

Is this physically creating static pages on my site? If so where do these pages go?

No, it’s just a url rewrite

So if it’s http:/yoursite.com/your_product.html it automagically translate it to http:/yoursite.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1553

No static pages are created

How do I keep dynamic pages from being indexed…is that done by Disallow /index.php in robots.txt?

Yes

Is it worth the time and effort to use metatag entries when adding a product or page…or are page title and solid content all you need?

Good Question, To find out sacrifice a donut to the google gods

is htacess with the seo rewrite code needed at the root of the store or the root of the domain?

Root of the Store, but remember to change the “Rewrite Base”

html static pages are created and build when the user clicks the related pages under the root catalog when setup from the admins seo.

You can clean by setup or erase by ftp whenrequired. No automatic update. the cart may happen as static as well or may be due to a bug.

click Add - Seo Act as HTML catalog

[quote name=‘dustundag’]click Add - Seo Act as HTML catalog[/QUOTE]

If you do that in 2.0.7. You need to fix a bug

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1159[/url]

You are right! I have already applied the fix so that is the reason it is operatin for me.!

Hmm … URL rewrite but if you check HTML Catalog it creates static pages?

When using the SEO Addon should one be checking HTML Catalog…what are the pro’s and cons??

[quote name=‘kvanlaar’]Hmm … URL rewrite but if you check HTML Catalog it creates static pages?

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

You loose AJAX features. Like the in line cart update. You have to manually clear catalog cache. I found it a tad broken if you have SSL.

Thanks! Really appreciate the info here folks!

[quote name=‘kogi’]Bingo.

You loose AJAX features. Like the in line cart update. You have to manually clear catalog cache. I found it a tad broken if you have SSL.[/QUOTE]

So if we have SSL and we have all of the checkboxes still checked in Dynamic HTML we shouldn’t turn on SEO even if our Apache has mod_rewrite?

And if we do turn on SEO then we need to modify our robots.txt, but only after we uncheck all of the AJAX checkboxes under Dynamic HTML???

Hmm don’t know what your talking about.

But what you quoted only applies to using “HTML Catalog”

[quote name=‘kvanlaar’]Hmm … URL rewrite but if you check HTML Catalog it creates static pages?

When using the SEO Addon should one be checking HTML Catalog…what are the pro’s and cons??[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what are the pros and cons of clicking the HTML Catalog?

Also, if we don’t change the robots.txt then it is possible that on google the SEO might register

mydomain.com

as separate hits from

www.mydomain.com

Is that correct?

[quote name=‘unique2’]Yeah, what are the pros and cons of clicking the HTML Catalog?

Also, if we don’t change the robots.txt then it is possible that on google the SEO might register

mydomain.com

as separate hits from

www.mydomain.com

Is that correct?[/quote]

Maybe, but you must set the rewrite rule for none www to www in the htaccess, then mydomain.com will not appeare in the SERP’s.

[quote name=‘unique2’]Yeah, what are the pros and cons of clicking the HTML Catalog?[/quote]

Hello Unique2,

Well, your static HTML pages will be in htt*://MyDomain.com[COLOR=red]/catalog[/COLOR] directory, while all your pages and their links… (CSC dynamic pages) will be on other directory, for example htt*://MyDomain.com/

Is it good for SEO?

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Unique2,

Well, your static HTML pages will be in htt*://MyDomain.com[COLOR=red]/catalog[/COLOR] directory, while all your pages and their links… (CSC dynamic pages) will be on other directory, for example htt*://MyDomain.com/

Is it good for SEO?

Lee Li Pop[/quote]

It’s absolutely a dangerous thing for your SERP’s, if you change it form dynamic to static because then, the links will looking like this:

SEO enabled, HTML catalog OFF:

http://www.xxxxxxxxx.com/eastbay-mens-dazzle-short.htmlSEO enabled, HTML catalog ON:

http://www.xxxxxxxxx.com/catalog/eastbay-mens-dazzle-short.html
The HTML Catalog Mode is good to increase the loading time of the site, because all catalog pages will be cached, thats mean a dynamic site become a static page, like a normaly and simply html page, the information will be stored in the cache and not in the database.

It will produce a 404 error. Ok, there is a opportunity to change each time the htaccess file (if it works with the stupid php rewrite rules in CS Cart core).

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Unique2,

Is it good for SEO?

Lee Li Pop[/quote]

Hi Lee Li Pop,

it would be great, if you provide for other forum users useful links they can help others or links of your pages, but not any CLICKBANK LINKS and AFFILIATE LINKS. I don’t think that somebody who search information about ecommerce and CS Cart will LEARN CHINESE. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Hi Lee Li Pop,

it would be great, if you provide for other forum users useful links they can help others or links of your pages, but not any CLICKBANK LINKS and AFFILIATE LINKS. I don’t think that somebody who search information about ecommerce and CS Cart will LEARN CHINESE.[/QUOTE]

Indy,

If you can’t sleep cause my links, tell me, I can remove them. But… Do it first :wink:

Because it’s seems to me, you’re an affiliate and you promote your affiliate links, right?

So, do it first, I will follow you :lol:

Well, subject is “More SEO Basics”

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Indy,

If you can’t sleep cause my links, tell me, I can remove them. But… Do it first :wink:

Because it’s seems to me, you’re an affiliate and you promote your affiliate links, right?

So, do it first, I will follow you :lol:

Well, subject is “More SEO Basics”

Lee Li Pop[/quote]

I don’t know about your affiliate knowledge, but if you hover my link, can you see any affiliate code? I don’t think so.

Indy,

Read again my post, I don’t talk about code, just of your affiliate links. :wink:

Please Indy, this thread is “More SEO Basics”, thank you.

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘indy0077’]It’s absolutely a dangerous thing for your SERP’s, if you change it form dynamic to static because then, the links will looking like this:

SEO enabled, HTML catalog OFF:

http://www.xxxxxxxxx.com/eastbay-mens-dazzle-short.htmlSEO enabled, HTML catalog ON:

http://www.xxxxxxxxx.com/catalog/eastbay-mens-dazzle-short.html
The HTML Catalog Mode is good to increase the loading time of the site, because all catalog pages will be cached, thats mean a dynamic site become a static page, like a normaly and simply html page, the information will be stored in the cache and not in the database.

It will produce a 404 error. Ok, there is a opportunity to change each time the htaccess file (if it works with the stupid php rewrite rules in CS Cart core).[/QUOTE]

So just to recap:

1.) with html catalog on your links will look like www.xxxx.com/catalog/name-of-product.html

This is good for SEO and it is faster because no dynamic pages?

2.) with html catalog off you links will look like www.xxxx.com/name-of-product.html

This is bad for SEO and bad for speed?

Right?

I am having a hard time following what would product a 404 error? Can you explain in more detail? I need to modify my htaccess file to if I decide to do html catalogging on or off?