Modified files list is huge

When upgrading to a new version I'm often presented with TONS of modified files that have conflicts, and most of them are files I have never edited. When I click the “changes” link, it simply shows the changes that CS-Cart has made in that version of the upgrade. I've uploaded a screen grab of a sample file's diff (skins/.htaccess – see below). I have not edited this file at all – the diff shows the changes that (presumably) CS-Cart has made in that upgrade.

I guess my question is: why is the list showing all of these files, even those modified by CS-Cart? Shouldn't it be showing only the files that I have modified? What criteria does it use to mark a file as modified? Does it compare the file's modified time vs CS-Cart's last update time?

Thanks for any help.

[attachment=4597:Screen Shot 2011-10-05 at 11.43.20 PM.png]

Screen Shot 2011-10-05 at 11.43.20 PM.png

[font=“Verdana”]It's incredibly convoluted isn't it!

Before any upgrade, it should automatically do a scan of all system folders and files. Then backup all files that do not match the MD5/Checksum (AND include any new files not recognised in folders).

Then it should create an automatic backup of all these files and folders and their respective paths.

The upgrade process needs to be the easiest and least scary component of the software. The My Changes addon has no documentation and no explanation of what it does, how it works, how to use it, and anything else.

Does anyone have any ideas how to manage modified files like this?[/font]

The modified files list is useless to me as well. It's just too big to address.

Is there anything published anywhere on the web that teaches how to use the My Changes feature?

[quote]

Is there anything published anywhere on the web that teaches how to use the My Changes feature?

[/quote]

You can try this: http://www.ez-ms.com/docs/customizing_your_store.pdf

It was written before my_changes came about so simply substitute 'my_changes' where you see 'local' and the concepts will work.

Other than that, you can search the forum for 'my_changes' but you'll get a lot that's not appropriate to what you're looking for.

Thanks TB for taking the time to help people.

It is greatly appreciated.