Mod Tading

Snorocket mentioned mod trading in the Dynamic Tabs mod thread and I thought I would start a thread for this idea.

Basically what I think Snorocket was thinking is trading mods that you have had CS develop. I don’t have anything to offer as of yet, but I am currently having CS develop a mod for me that would make the product configurator behave more like [URL=“tenecor.com”]tenecor.com I don’t know if it will be usefull to anyone else, but I plan on sharing it once it is done. My mod is supposed to be done by the end of the month and I am really looking forward to getting it.

I do know that there are already a lot of free mods available, but I am sure that there are many more out there that have been coded that just aren’t being shared. I was also thinking that if you find a mod that has been bought from CS on this thread that you like than it might be a cool idea to send the person who shared it a few bucks. I don’t know if everyone will want to share, but hopefully if a there is the incentive of possibly receiving a few dollars than more people will be apt to share.

I don’t know if everyone will agree with the idea of sharing their mods that they had to pay there money to have developed, but I think it is cool idea and I will be posting mine when it is completed.

Brandon

CS are developing reward points for us. We’re at testing stage. Happy to trade. Interested in a descriptive mini-cart updating automatically for Ajax add to cart, if anyone has that or trade for other mods.

wow I like the way the configurator works at that site, I’d be interested in trading, I only have Notes 1.0 to trade right now though I’m getting several more of my othes mods together, even thinking about CS improving some on the ones I did…

I am having CS make a couple of mods for me right now.

The first one is for importing products with all the options you need for any particular item. You will be able to import all your items at once with all the options you needs for each item. No importing then going back in one at a time to add options.

The second one: You will be able to import into multiple secondary categories as well as the primary category. In my case, I have products that can fit into one or more categories.

Trading or donations accepted for these mods.

You can pm me if interested.

EagleRose

I’m interesed…this is something that has been killing me from the begining and should be and should have been included in the default installation…

Is it ok to do this? I mean do CS not mind?

[quote name=‘recedo’]Is it ok to do this? I mean do CS not mind?[/QUOTE]

This is probably a good question, but I figure that is snorocket can collect money from multiple people, have a mod developed, and then share it with the people that paid than this really isn’t much different. I also figure that unless someone posts on here that they want x amount of dollars for their mod than all this only amount to trading and donations for something that someone finds usefull. I know that selling mods already has it’s own thread and has been discussed, but that isn’t what I want to be doing with this particular thread. I just figure that this would be a great way for everyone to share and possibly get something back in return.

As for CS caring, they have already gotten their money and it shouldn’t matter what happens to the mod after they have written it.

Brandon

As long as we are not re-selling the mod i.e “Tab Menus by SWS for $50”

then what we are doing I beleive is ok,

It would be pointless for CS to charge every one of us $300 for the same mod (which nobody would buy) esp when it will almost certainly be included in their cart free of charge in the future…

SMS summed it up pretty good, as far as I know we’re all good because we’re not selling anything and we all own a cs license, I’m all for the Mod 4 Mod deal…

Add me in there, I don’t have much to trade except MSN support lol.

it however will be beneficial for future releases.

I understand that by doing this ‘mod trading’ we effectively creating a closed group available to those that wish to donate or trade into. Would anyone be planning on overseeing the transactions or will it be a free for all?

I think Sno has been elected by default on this one, He has a good relationship with CS themselves from what I understand…

Hes also a MOD on the forums so why not…

I think it would be good to have an official opionion though

I decided to try and get an official response relating to what we have already gone so far ahead with…After a nice chat with CS I have come to the following conclusions…

With MOD sharing of CS-Carts custom Mods the rules are something like this… this is not an official response, but my own summary of the conversations…

• All Mods custom coded will end up in CS-Cart for free, for all users eventually. We should all are aware of this…

• Selling on of mods custom coded by CS is NOT ALLOWED

This has been made very clear, and such posts as donating to people who already purchased a mod, would be classed as them selling it on to you, whether the term donation is used or not.

• MOD Sharing *

If we all “pitch in” to have a mod developed then this is ok, however after this time when the mod is complete, the mod should not be sold either by donation or traded… If in doubt, I suggest contacting CS for an offical statement…

On that note…

I beleive there is no problem with what we are doing above as long as we keep the rules strict…

[quote name=‘SWS’]

• Selling on of mods custom coded by CS is NOT ALLOWED

This has been made very clear, and such posts as donating to people who already purchased a mod, would be classed as them selling it on to you, whether the term donation is used or not.

• MOD Sharing *

If we all “pitch in” to have a mod developed then this is ok, however after this time when the mod is complete, the mod should not be sold either by donation or traded… If in doubt, I suggest contacting CS for an offical statement…

[/quote]

So the effective difference is that in the long run, those that did not pitch in to snorocket’s dynamic tabs pot will be refused access to the coding regardless of offering paid or donated purchase. Both Selling on and mod sharing seem to be identical as far as CS-CART is concerned.

I would presume this is for private developers only?

The main point I was trying to get an answer to was, [COLOR=red]are we allowed to pool in and buy a mod between a group of us…[/COLOR]

As for sharing / donations for mods that already exist coded by CS your not allowed to sell them. taking a donation for it, is essentially selling it.

Posting it on the forum free, well thats a different subject but then theres definatly no chance of a return on investment…

[COLOR=red]As I say, this is not an official statement,[/COLOR] just a question I asked whilst chatting to one of the guys at CS with no in-depth answers, but because its a hot topic on the forums at the moment, Im sure something official will surface. To define it properly in terms of licence agreement, because there is so many “avenues” would take quite a few paragraphs of well thought out text…

Oh well it seemed like a good idea.:frowning:

I will still post the configurator mod when it is done and I also have started to find out about getting a mod made to allow admin to choose if a product will be shipped seperatly or together. Depending on the price of the shipping mod I might try to do something like sno did with the dynamic tabs mod because while I really need this mod, I unfortunatly am not made of money. I’ll let you guys know what happens.

Brandon