Migration

Sounds like an issue with either your install, or your template. Even without enabling the cache for CSS/Javacript/Images, etc, the cart runs perfectly well on my dedicted server with almost 6000 products. Change to the default 'Basic' template, then refresh the cache (go to yourdomain.com - replace 'yourdomain.com'), then check your site - still going slow?

Did those things you mentioned and it's still too slow for my liking. My server is old though as in P4 with 512mb ram old. Moving to new Xeon quad with hyper and 4 or 8 gb ram soon though, hoping that makes the difference.

[quote name='dotell' timestamp='1328228720' post='130522']

Did those things you mentioned and it's still too slow for my liking. My server is old though as in P4 with 512mb ram old. Moving to new Xeon quad with hyper and 4 or 8 gb ram soon though, hoping that makes the difference.

[/quote]

The server configuration would make a big difference, however, 512mb of RAM really isn't a lot, especially if you've got a recent version of Apache installed which, along with other usual processes, will be eating up the majority of your current server even before you stick a site on it.

Your new server should do the business though, I'm running a DS with a Xeon E3-1230 processor and 16gb RAM. Now running 3 ecommerce stores (two CS-Cart and one Interpire, soon to be CS-Cart) with no problems in terms of page load speed, very quick when doing intensive tasks such as exporting all products, much more responsive than an old Xeon dual core with 2gb ram that I used for some CS-Cart development.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1328233817' post='130529']

The server configuration would make a big difference, however, 512mb of RAM really isn't a lot, especially if you've got a recent version of Apache installed which, along with other usual processes, will be eating up the majority of your current server even before you stick a site on it.

Your new server should do the business though, I'm running a DS with a Xeon E3-1230 processor and 16gb RAM. Now running 3 ecommerce stores (two CS-Cart and one Interpire, soon to be CS-Cart) with no problems in terms of page load speed, very quick when doing intensive tasks such as exporting all products, much more responsive than an old Xeon dual core with 2gb ram that I used for some CS-Cart development.

[/quote]

Thanks for that info, makes me feel a little more at ease. I was getting a bit worried mabye cs-cart wasn't going to work out for me because of this. I can't stand laggy store sites and with customers used to amazon and the like, I'm sure they want them snappy as well.

The checkout process seems a little odd, but I'm trying to configure it so it looks a little better. I think it's important for the shopper to always have what's in the cart in view along with total cost. The postage estimator seems a little unconventional or clunky too. I thought I've seen the addons that put the cart in a side box, but maybe that wasn't cs-cart. Also nice to have some suggested last minute suggestions in a column, which I've figured out…or cart specials that might encourage them to add more to meet a special deal. Anyway, I'm coming from a cart that had practically no bells and whistles.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1328233817' post='130529']

[/quote]

I'm running on this right now. HTTP Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)

Thinking of moving to wiredtree or servint, but wiredtree has the newer, faster xeons, so probably going that route…within a week I hope.

It has taken me longer than anticipated but I'm on wiredtree dedicated now and loving it so far. Store is fast and I'm right in the midst of doing the cart2cart thing. Looks like there's going to be a lot of manual adjusting things after the move. For example, how do you make Reviews default to active, versus having to go through 5000 products manually to tick the reviews box?!?! There's going to be some other issues like this I think as well. As someone said above, it may take a couple weeks of manual adjustments to get everything ready to go live, but in the end it should all be working and much better than what I had.

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1327784515' post='130154']

The biggest annoyance of the move was that it imported in the thumbnails as thumbnails instead of just the detailed image, but this really isn't a big deal.

[/quote]

On my old store I had 3 diff sizes of images. For cs-cart I'd rather just use the large one and let cs-cart do the sizing. How did you go about fixing this issue?

Well I have a couple of answers for you that won't really be that much help, sorry.

First off, the reviews. There have been quite a few posts on here about turning on the reviews in mass, but I've yet to find a solution that actually works. The best thing I've seen so far is a SQL command, but I couldn't get it to work. I'd recommend contacting tbirnseth and see what he can do. I'm sure he could get something going for you super quick.

As for the images, I tried imports and stuff to “reset” the images, but nothing seemed to work. The only way that I found that was successful was to manually delete the images. This is another thing that I bet tbirnseth could help you with.

You can contact Tony either through here or his site at http://www.ez-ms.com

I doubt that was much help, but it's what I got.

Thanks,

Brandon

Thanks, I'll probably end up doing as you say. I think there are probably a couple addons there I wanted still as well. Webgraphiq has a bunch of addons I want and still need to buy/install. So, lots of work yet to do.

I was thinking maybe there's a way during migration to not even copy over the thumbnails just only copy over the large images…or maybe go through and delete all the thumbnails on my old site first. I made a clone of my live site and put it on the test server to use that to migrate from. So, my live site stays live until the day I'm ready to switch over. I don't know, maybe I don't quite understand how it works with cs-cart yet, but trying to figure it out.

I read some of those posts about the reviews thing and you'd think it wouldn't be so hard to fix that, like changing a 0 to a 1 somewhere in the code sort of thing (like in osc you chould change the code to check the box for newsletter by default during registration). But I guess with cs-cart somehow it's more complicated than that.

That is actually exactly how the reviews work. I can't remember the letters since there are like 3 or 4 review options, but basically if a guy were to create a SQL query that would change them, that is all he'd need. SQL is a just a bit beyond me, sorry.

As for the thumbnails, what I tried doing was to import in the images with the thumbnail column blank. Unfortunately this had pretty limited success. Since all of the thumbnails are “stored” in the database, I'd think this would be another thing that could be done with SQL.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

Did you have any issues with the URLs? During my test transfer I noticed that cart2cart is adding garbage at the end of the URL so I'm not ending up with clean perfect URLs in cs-cart like I should. At the end of the URL will be something like this “-stbb-278.html” which has nothing to do with the original URL or the cs-cart URL. I'm trading emails with cscart but not sure they understand what I'm telling them yet, hopefully my last email explained it so they can understand. THey seem to have pretty short answers that give me the feeling of “take it or leave it”!!!

I meant I was trading emails with “cart2cart” not cs-cart

Basically I set up a Google Base plugin for OSCommerce. Then I was able to export all of the URLs. Since both systems use the product codes, I was able to match up the URLs. I was then able to use Excel to create the rewrites.

The rewrites I ended up using are:

For products:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} products_id=242
RewriteRule ^.+$ http://www.domain.com/store/product.html? [R=301,L]

For categories:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} cPath=22
RewriteRule ^.+$ http://www.domain.com/store/category.html? [R=301,L]

For this one, we actually changed the main URL path, so I had to put this .htaccess file into both directories.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

UPDATE PRODUCTS SET products_image_med = products_image_lrg where products_image_larg is not NULL

something like this might work for mysql, but not sure if that syntax is correct, but this would copy over all the medium pics in the database with the large pics, so when cart2cart works it pulls the large pics for everything rather than the medium one, which is what it looked like it did on my test conversion.

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1331829745' post='133198']

Basically I set up a Google Base plugin for OSCommerce. Then I was able to export all of the URLs. Since both systems use the product codes, I was able to match up the URLs. I was then able to use Excel to create the rewrites.

For products:

For categories:

For this one, we actually changed the main URL path, so I had to put this .htaccess file into both directories.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

[/quote]

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. You had to put these lines in your .htaccess to get the URLs correct after the transfer? So your transferred URLs were not correct either? Or is this to forward old URLs to new URLs?

Maybe i haven't had enough caffeine yet today!

Uhm, I'm confused.

Basically all of the OSCommerce URLs are all messed up, right?

This basically rewrites the URLs to match the new CS-Cart ones.

If you are already using something on OSCommerce that is rewriting the URLs to something like some-product-26.html then you'll need different rewrites, which I actually already have also.

Does that answer anything?

Thanks,

Brandon

This was cart2cart's response about the URL garbage:

“Please note that this is a peculiarity of our service and the way URLs created after the transfer is predicted by our system.

This is connected with the fact we create URL from the product name and add SKU number in order to omit duplicating for products with similar product names.

Sorry to inform you, but this can not be created in other way.”

I'm converting a store from osc to cs-cart. My old version of osc (6-7 years old) Has old crappy URLS like this : “/product_info.php?products_id=6137”. No URL rewriting at all. What I was talking about was that after the Cart2Cart transfer the URLs turned into friendly urls with the product name but also at the end of the new URL where some extra characters that had nothing to do with anything. Apparently, that's the way cart2cart works and there's nothing I can do about it. Unless I figure out how to strip that stuff off the end properly…or live with my friendly URLS plus garbage at end. I was hoping cart2cart would have a solution to this, but I guess they don't. Either way it's better than my old URLs, just not quite how CS-cart intended. I wonder if one of the SEO URL addons would fix this problem?

UPDATE products SET products_image_med=products_image_lrg

WHERE products_image_larg IS NOT NULL

I ran this query on the old osc database, it worked, so hopefully now cart2cart pulls all the large image files that are now in the med image spot in the database for cs-cart

I see no way around going through each product addition by cart2cart manually because there are too many new features with cs-cart to take advantage of like the filtering by product type, for example. Oh well, better get started.

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1331829745' post='133198']

For products:

For categories:

Hope that helps,

Brandon

[/quote]

So, this is for putting in the .htaccess of my new cs-cart store to fix the old incoming links to old oscommerce urls so it re-directs them to the correct product??? Is that right?

Sorry, got busy today.

Basically you could do the cart2cart transfer and then clear out all of your new SEO names. Uninstall the SEO addon, then clear the names in your PHPMyAdmin, then install the addon. Then you export all of your product URLs from your CS-Cart store in a CSV. You also export all of your product URLs from your OSCommerce store using a GoogleBase plugin.

You open up both files and match them up based on the product code.

Then you use Excel to strip away the beginning part of the URL from the OSCommerce URLs, the http://www.yourdomain.com

You should end up with something like:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4975]

From there, you can use a formula in Excel to create:

RewriteRule ^.+$ http://www.your-domain.com/product-1.html? [R=301,L]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} products_id=153
RewriteRule ^.+$ http://www.your-domain.com/product-2.html? [R=301,L]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} products_id=246
RewriteRule ^.+$ http://www.your-domain.com/product-2.html? [R=301,L]

This will redirect all of your products to their new, SEO friendly, URLs. This will also prevent most ranking lost in the search engines since everything is redirecting nicely.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't do the categories the same way and had to manually do them.

The thing is though, all this is totally worth it. To me, it means a lot to not plummet in ranking or have any broken URLs.

If you need a hand, I am available for hire.

Thanks and I hope it help,

Brandon

rewrites-1.JPG

rewrites-1.jpg