Migrating Users from Virtuemart

Hello all,

a client of mine is running a shop using Joomla + Virtuemart. We also have CS Cart installed but were using it for testing so it isn’t currently the active store. I would like the client to migrate to CS Cart but have a couple questions.

1. Can I migrate my users from VM to CS Cart? It’s be nice to get passwords over as well but not necessary as long as they get a reset page or something.

2. The client is switching from using their current CC provider to using Quickbooks. How difficult is QB integration using something like T-HUB for example? I’d need to install and setup for them, any idea how many hours it’d take to do something like this?

3. Zip code based tax rates seem pretty straightforward. Am I right about that? It’s not simple in VM. I have a different tax rate based on county here in Minnesota.

That’s it for now. Thanks for any tips or thoughts!

-Patrick

I too am migrating from a current Joomla! VM setup to CS-CART. I am not finished with the move, but I can tell you that CS-CART is way better than VM. Just too many good things about it to mention here and too many bad things about VM too.

[QUOTE]1. Can I migrate my users from VM to CS Cart? It’s be nice to get passwords over as well but not necessary as long as they get a reset page or something.[/QUOTE]

Yes, as long as your “fields” are the same. Do an export of customers out of CS-CART first and than compare that to the export from VM. Any differences in “field” names (headers) will have to be corrected.

Concerning passwords as far as I know VM does not retain passwords which can be exported (they are encrypted to the database). This is one of the reasons in my setup I will require that all previous customers re-register with the new store.

If you do import customers from VM into CSC, you could eMail your current customers and inform them that a new account has been setup which requires them to login/create a new password.

The difficulties I foresee with this has led me to “take the easy way out” :wink: …which like I said is to have them create their own accounts. Offer them a discount for signing up and this will give them an incentive to do it.

[QUOTE]2. The client is switching from using their current CC provider to using Quickbooks.[/QUOTE]

We don’t use QB, so I can’t help you here. I’m sure a search on this forum will find the specific answers you need.

[QUOTE]3. Zip code based tax rates seem pretty straightforward. Am I right about that? It’s not simple in VM. I have a different tax rate based on county here in Minnesota.[/QUOTE]

It is absolutely “brutal” in VM…lol, so you will enjoy the ease with which you can setup different tax rates at the level you need. Once you understand how it works, it’s not difficult at all. I have 3 cities within 3 states all which have different tax rates according to county/zip.

Here’s a good explanation on how this works:

http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=6128&highlight=Taxes

I know you’ll be quite satisfied with CSC compared to VM…the forum and support here is “real” and 1000 times better than VM for sure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Yes, I agree that CS-Cart is a lot easier than VM.

I did a user export of the user data so we’re on the same page on that one. If anyone puts together a script of some sort let me know.

Thanks again.