Messages from CS-Cart -> Customers is spam under GMAIL

Is anyone experiencing their order emails marked as Spam when sent to gmail addresses? If so, can you please tell me what steps I can do to resolve it?

Thanks

Hello Cosplaydna,

Maybe, it’s your hosting company antispam filter as SpamAssassin:

[url]http://spamassassin.apache.org/[/url]

Lee Li Pop

Maybe you know good tutorial how to properly setup spamassassin in webmin?

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Cosplaydna,

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Cosplaydna,

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

I’m using Host Gator but Spam Assassin is turned off.

It’s an awfully weird problem…

CS-Cart is interacting with two Gmail accounts:

1.) CS-Cart Admin Account

2.) CS-Cart Test Customer

The admin account receives a copy of the order in the inbox just fine. However the “low” inventory warnings going to the CS-Cart Admin Account is marked as spam by gmail.

All CS-Cart emails to the Test Customer shows up as spam.

Appreciate the reply!

Hello Cosplaydna,

Sending and receiving email is a thorny subject that there is (sometimes) not to discuss with your hosting company…

Here’s why:

1 - Your hosting company offers you an IP that is shared between several sites. Among them, there is a spammer, which is “blacklisted” by some sites to fight against spam, resulting in problems for you…

Resolution:

a - Do a Whois of your domain name here:

http://whois.domaintools.com

On results page, you can find the IP of your domain name.

b - Do a “Reverse IP”, to discover if you share this IP with several other sites:

[url]http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/[/url]

c - Go to this page:

[url]Email Blacklist Check - IP Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted

And run a query to see if your site (your IP address) is not “blacklisted”…

2 - One of the words in your mail is considered as spam by content filters (such as Spam Assassin)

To discover your “spam” level of your message, follow these tips:

[url]Affiliate Marketing Advice & Affiliate Program Resources

(wait several minutes for the answer… Answer is a little bit long…)

3 - Your customers have not added your email address in their “trusted friends” list…

Ask them to add your email address in their “trusted friends” list!

Lee Li Pop

PS: Buy or rent a personal IP (not shared IP) is a guarantee of seriousness and tranquility!

Especially in e-commerce!

Hello Again,

If you are, or want to be hosted, by a vendor who is not strict with spammers and spam problems, read this!

Most hosting providers provide a shared IP among several sites. Sometimes up to 5,000 sites share the same IP!

If [COLOR=“Red”]only one[/COLOR] of the sites that share your IP is, uses or is considered as spammer, your shared IP is blacklisted by sites and software fighting against spam.

And your mails will be very difficult to reach your customers!

Ask good questions on independent forum about spam rules of the hosting company with the real life spam policy (not only written rules)!

www.webhostingtalk.com/

Morality, when you search for the ideal hosting company, run this Google search:

Spam [name of hosting company]

Lee Li Pop

Hello Again,

Of course, if some bad people use a back door or a loophole in your website to send spam, you will be considered as a spammer!

Update your CS-Cart!

Lee Li Pop

Dear Lee Li Pop,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such useful information! I am in your debt…

So my domain registrar is GoDaddy and my Hosting site is HostGator. If I run the GoDaddy IP, some of the content is black listed and there are thousands of sites off of that one IP.

When I run the HostGator IP - it is a dedicated host with no blacklist and only my site is attached to it.

Is Godaddy being my registrar an issue?

Hello Cosplaydna,

[quote name=‘cosplaydna’]

Is Godaddy being my registrar an issue?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so.

Maybe a gmail “false positives” (or negative. It depends on your point of view) I believe:

[QUOTE][COLOR=“Red”]spam is being sent by your or a neighboring IP address.

Sincerely,

The Google Team[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

To help you, you can read these pages:

1 - Deliverability:A Challenge for 8 of 10 Marketers

2 - An E-Mail Marketer’s Guide to Deliverability, Part 1

3 - An E-Mail Marketer’s Guide to Deliverability, Part 2

4 - An E-Mail Marketer’s Guide to Deliverability, Part 3

5 - Experts - E-Mail Delivery

6 - 17 Email Deliverability Tips

7 - Some Tips for Legitimate Senders to Avoid False Positives

8 - How to Avoid Spam Filters

9 - Bulk Senders Guidelines

If you have some bucks, you can read this book:

[url]http://www.emaildeliveryjedi.com/[/url]

Be aware! I don’t read this book, and I don’t promote it!!!

In fact, it’s a very large matter of discussing and research and testing…

So, I wish you Good Luck!

Lee Li Pop

Hi Lee Li Pop,

I think I found what the problem is.

1.) I am using the built in PHP mail function of CS-Cart.

I believe if we can look into the configuration file it might have some clues on how email is being sent out.

2.) When I go into my test customer gmail account and look at the mail details it says:

gator772.hostgator.com under “mailed by”

Is it because the “from” field shows cosplaydna.com as the sender and gator772.hostgator.com as the mailed by the issue? If so… is there something in CS-Cart I can change so it will match?

Thanks again for all of your help. Learning tons from your links.

Hello Cosplaydna,

I’m at Pair.com, and have this in my mail header:

[QUOTE]Received: from [ServerName].pair.com ([IP.Number.Of.Server])[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if, or not, you can remove it…

But, hostgator.com is NOT blacklisted by mxtoolbox.com

1 - Ask Gmail support

2 - Ask Hostgator support

I’m waiting for your news!

Lee Li Pop

CS-Cart support tells me that it’s a Hostgator or Gmail issue.

Hostgator tells me it is a CS-Cart script issue or Gmail issue.

I’m not able to find out yet where I can appeal to Google…

So just looking around your links another potential source is that reverse DNS is showing a different domain name then my actual domain name. I’ve filed a ticket with HostGator to change the reverse DNS records so hopefully this will help.

Hello Cosplaydna,

I think it’s a gmail “false positives”.

Here is Gmail support page:

[url]http://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy[/url]

Here is the Gmail Help Discussion Group and the Gmail Spam Issues Help Discussion.

Maybe, you’re close to the end of your troubles :wink:

Lee Li Pop

Still struggling with orders being marked as Spam after getting the reverse DNS records to match the from field.

My next possible step is to see if I can change the CS-Cart PHP function to Google Apps which is hosting my email. By chance are you using any external smtp senders and if so how did you configure it?

Thanks again for your time and help in this matter.

Hello Cosplaydna,

[quote name=‘cosplaydna’]By chance are you using any external smtp senders and if so how did you configure it?[/QUOTE]

No, I’m not. Sorry…

Lee Li Pop

Similar probs here with CS Cart + Gmail.

Just noticed that some CS Cart emails are going to spam and even when marked “not spam” they still come up with warnings that the email may not be from who it says it’s from and not to click any links etc.

[QUOTE]My next possible step is to see if I can change the CS-Cart PHP function to Google Apps which is hosting my email.[/QUOTE]

If I’m understanding this correctly it makes no sense at all.:confused:

Why do you use gmail for your email when your host provides email that is according to your domain name?

Why would you use sales@gmail.com instead of sales@mywebsite.com?

So you would rather promote gmail through all your emails than your own domain name?

If you would use your domain name email I don’t think you would have any issues.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood this whole thing but it sure sounds “backwards” to me.

[QUOTE]Just noticed that some CS Cart emails are going to spam and even when marked “not spam” they still come up with warnings that the email may not be from who it says it’s from and not to click any links etc.[/QUOTE]

I’m really not understanding the issue here as I don’t use gmail for my email.

But I can assure you that the issue is NOT with CS-CART.

CS-Cart doesn’t mark emails as spam, your host or gmail would be doing that.

It is either gmail OR your host provider, but my best guess would be gmail and the way you have it setup.

This sounds like the customers who are getting emails from the order they placed. We experienced this error and the way we resolved almost all of the issues was to switch the emails off the “PHP Mail Function” and use the “SMTP Server”. Not only was gmail having problems, but so was Yahoo and others. Many of our customers could not get copies of their orders.

From what I understand it has something to do with many of the email host are trying to communicate back with whomever sent the email and if you used the PHP function it does not communicate.

[quote name=‘WebGuy’]If I’m understanding this correctly it makes no sense at all.:confused:

Why do you use gmail for your email when your host provides email that is according to your domain name?

Why would you use sales@gmail.com instead of sales@mywebsite.com?

So you would rather promote gmail through all your emails than your own domain name?

If you would use your domain name email I don’t think you would have any issues.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood this whole thing but it sure sounds “backwards” to me.

I’m really not understanding the issue here as I don’t use gmail for my email.

But I can assure you that the issue is NOT with CS-CART.

CS-Cart doesn’t mark emails as spam, your host or gmail would be doing that.

It is either gmail OR your host provider, but my best guess would be gmail and the way you have it setup.[/QUOTE]

Have you not used Google Apps? It’s awesome. Do your research, man…

[QUOTE]Have you not used Google Apps? It’s awesome. Do your research, man…[/QUOTE]

Google apps my be awesome…However, I agree with what Webguy was explaining to you, you may want to reconsider his point…

I can assure you that if I placed an order thru your store and then rcvd back an order confirmation from joe@gmail.com that my first thought would be “must be a bubblegum operation I am dealing with here”.

You will be hardpressed to find any professional ecommerce organizations which do not use their own url in their email address!