Menu bar problem in IE

Hi,

I’ve upgraded to version 2.10, but am having problems with the top menu bar. It is fine in Firefox, but the options overlap in IE. My upgraded version is at www.capitalcaterers.co.uk/dev. My older 2.05 version doesn’t have this problem (www.capitalcaterers.co.uk), but I think my programmer might have altered it so it became ok.

Any ideas how to fix this please?

Thanks

Mike

Have you compared the CSS in the following between your old and new sites?

/skins/YOURSKIN/customer/styles_ie.css

/skins/YOURSKIN/customer/styles.css

Bob

Hi Bob,

Am examining it with Firefox Firebug, but at the moment can’t find any difference between the two relating to the top menu bar :frowning:

can anyone help with this please?

which version/versions of IE?

It could be any number of problems but we need to know the IE versions first.

Hi, its IE version 8. The top menu is messed up, and the ‘Add to Basket’ buttons look different than they do in Firefox.

Thanks

Mike

Can you check to see if this is also happening in IE7? Just view your page in IE using the compatibility mode option and see if the issue exists. Im betting it does.

Hi Tirade,

Thanks for that, because I just tried it in compatibility mode, and both the top menu & the button problems disappear. Then i switch it off, and they reappear! Any ideas why?

Cheers

Mike

Sounds like a simple case of IE being such a great browser…

Try this page and add the ie8.js script on your page and try it.

[url]Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Also someone else mentioned a similar issue and provided this information to trick it into IE7 mode if it detects IE8

Edit: On a side note I dont have my site working in IE6 atm, Ive pretty much said screw it

[quote name=‘Tirade’]Edit: On a side note I dont have my site working in IE6 atm, Ive pretty much said screw it[/QUOTE]

Then you will appreciate this:

[QUOTE]Microsoft has begun a campaign to actively urge users of its 8-year-old Internet Explorer 6 browser to upgrade.

After launching IE 8 in March, Micosoft has concurred with critics that IE 6 is outdated. Many people have dropped the older browser, but the remaining users are often the tough cases–those who don’t have a choice because of corporate computing policy or who aren’t tech-savvy enough to realize there’s a reason to move on.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10406468-264.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5[/url]

Bob

Thanks Tirade, which file(s) should I add this code to?

You might want to check your server logs and see how many of your customers are still using IE6. For my web sites it is around 10%. This is still a significant enough number to not ignore.

This is why Cs-Cart provides styles_ie.css, so you can make your site look good in IE without affecting the other browsers. I actually created a styles_ie6.css file and modified my index.tpl file to include:

I wouldn't spend tons of time on it (especially since the IE6 usage is just going to get lower), but I would definitely make sure your site is presentable and functional.

I use [url]http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage[/url] to check my sites in all the IE versions. It is a great free tool.

David

My page looks bad in IE8 though, so its something I definitely need to address! Do you know what code i would put where to deal with this?

Thanks for the help, i copied

to index.tpl in the section, and seems to have done the trick!

[quote name=‘Triplets’]You might want to check your server logs and see how many of your customers are still using IE6. For my web sites it is around 10%. This is still a significant enough number to not ignore.

This is why Cs-Cart provides styles_ie.css, so you can make your site look good in IE without affecting the other browsers. I actually created a styles_ie6.css file and modified my index.tpl file to include:

I wouldn't spend tons of time on it (especially since the IE6 usage is just going to get lower), but I would definitely make sure your site is presentable and functional.

I use [url]http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage[/url] to check my sites in all the IE versions. It is a great free tool.

David[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Im sure Ill get around to fixing it, it just wasnt a priority for me. I like the idea of creating a separate ie6 style sheet though, maybe Ill give that a shot. Thanks

[quote name=‘mikee’]Thanks for the help, i copied

to index.tpl in the section, and seems to have done the trick![/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you got it working!

Now i’ve got a problem with the subtotal & total when you click on ‘View Basket’ with Internet Explorer. Prices are on different lines and aligned weirdly. It looks ok in checkout, and ok in Firefox, any ideas why this is please? Thanks Mike

Hi everyone,

I have got a re-occurence of my top menu-bar problem in Internet Explorer 8 for my site www.capitalcaterers.co.uk. Even though i’ve added this line of code to the styles.tpl file between the tags : , i am now still getting the menu options overlap in IE8, though there is no problem in Firefox.

Would anyone know what i have to change or add in the styles_ie.css file to fix this problem please?

Many thanks

Mike