Meet Cs-Cart And Multi-Vendor 4.10.4 With Strong Customer Authentication And Bug Fixes

We have released 4.10.4 SP1. It solves a problem with Stripe and Stripe Connect in the Step-by Step Checkout [Deprecated] add-on: if the customer’s card didn’t have 3-D Secure, customer had to click the “Place order” button 2 times.

So.. are all the problems (mainly the reported issue of abandoned carts due to buyer objection) with the crazy checkout page now fixed ?

Unfortunately not, I believe most people are using the Deprecated add-on checkout and now this is adding extra complexity to everything.

4.10.4 had a bug with the deprecated checkout… so this will continue until they stop being stubborn and actually change the new checkout to who their customers want it to be!

So.. are all the problems (mainly the reported issue of abandoned carts due to buyer objection) with the crazy checkout page now fixed ?

"Abandoned carts" and "buyer objection" are too broad terms to apply here, and can have many reasons. The best way is to see the new checkout for yourself: try it at demo.cs-cart.com, see if you can configure it for your needs, and whether you actually need it for your business at the moment.

What I can talk about are the concerns that have and haven't been addressed, and why:

1. Phone number in the international format with the country code is no longer required since 4.10.2.

2. Billing address was brought back in version 4.10.3. The page generally became more customizable in that version.

3. Shipping recalculation was also brought up a few times here, and I've explained earlier why it works the way it does.

I believe most people are using the Deprecated add-on checkout

Actually, it's not the case. The majority of those who use 4.10.x, also use the new checkout (even despite having to enable it manually after the upgrade). Of course, there are also people who haven't upgraded to 4.10.x (and may remain on very old versions), but we haven't noticed a decline in the numbers of those who upgraded either.

Is CS-Cart sending any various data outside? When I tried to upgrade I receive an error: "ErrorMessage could not be sent.
Mailer Error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting". Why you need SMTP connection for upgrade?

Is CS-Cart sending any various data outside? When I tried to upgrade I receive an error: "ErrorMessage could not be sent.
Mailer Error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting". Why you need SMTP connection for upgrade?

These two questions are unrelated. Since both are important, I'll answer both of them.

1. We explicitly ask customers whether or not they want to give us usage statistics. That's how I was able to say that most of the users who agreed to share anonymous usage statistics with us and upgraded to 4.10.x were using new checkout.

2. An email sent to the main administrator's account with a link to restore the pre-upgrade store from backup is an important part of the upgrade. It ensures that you'll be able to revert the upgrade and access the admin panel if something goes wrong. More on that in the docs.

Mhm, but I have skipped backup with developers more and still can not upgrade software without email.

Ok, I added phpmail and it works.

Hi ikoshkin

Before in 4.10 version i use 3d payment and can use popup in checkout page. Not goes bank system for verify code. How can i use this again. Can u help me for this.

i saw there something but how can i implant

https://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/56253-ajax-popup-on-new-checkout-page-problem/

I assume you mean the overlay over the shipping methods: "Enter your city and state and click here to update shipping rate." It appears when a customer changes his or her country, city, or state at checkout.

In the old multi-step checkout, it wasn't necessary — customers always provided the address before the shipping step. The available shipping methods are determined by the customer's address, and that address was always known when the customer reached shipping step.

The new checkout has shipping methods on the same page as the address, and they can even come before the address (convenient for returning customers). But as customer changes the address, shipping method needs to be checked again (check with real-time shipping method servers, etc.). Repeating it on the fly whenever customer changes anything would slow down the checkout page. The overlay and recalculation on click are the necessary compromise to get both speed and relevant shipping methods and rates.

But ideally, when a customer comes to checkout, his or her city should already be determined. For return customers, this is easy (they bought from you already). For first-time customers, this is handled by the "Maps and geolocation" add-on, which supports Google Maps and Yandex Maps. Google Maps are paid and require an API key, but Yandex Maps can work without an API key.

---

I know it's a sore topic for a few people here, so I ask that we don't derail the discussion. The release topics become irrelevant as new releases appear, and good suggestions might get lost that way. For such discussions, it's best to create a separate topic (for example, in this section). In that topic, everyone would be able to share their opinions (what's wrong with the overlay, whether the automatic recalculation is necessary, how it should appear to customers, etc.)

Well, I prefer to have the old way without the overlay, but there seems no way back.

In the old multi-step checkout, it wasn't necessary — customers always provided the address before the shipping step. The available shipping methods are determined by the customer's address, and that address was always known when the customer reached shipping step.

If you enter the address, why should you press something that triggers this check?

My shipping cost is very simple, determined by Country and order value. Order value is known, If you change country shipping cost might change.

So, once you change country, why should the customer click some overlay to have the shipping cost calculated new.

In the past few days I have received 7 new released, but I did not dare to install any of them, worried as I am to have new surprises, especially because it is so many in so few days.....

Am I asking for trouble if I install all 7 now?

Thank you for clarifying your use case. The recalculation overlay was added because the cases are often more complicated.

As customer changes the address, we need to check what shipping methods are available. It usually involves contacting real-time shipping method servers, etc.). Repeating it on the fly automatically whenever customer changes anything would slow down the checkout page.

As for 7 notifications, there may have been fewer upgrades. Please check this topic about notification center for clarification.

Hi ikoshkin

Before in 4.10 version i use 3d payment and can use popup in checkout page. Not goes bank system for verify code. How can i use this again. Can u help me for this.

i saw there something but how can i implant

https://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/56253-ajax-popup-on-new-checkout-page-problem/

Hello. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, so I can't provide coding suggestions.
Could you tell me what Processor is specified in the settings of your payment method?

Thank you for clarifying your use case. The recalculation overlay was added because the cases are often more complicated.

---

As for 7 notifications, there may have been fewer upgrades. Please check this topic about notification center for clarification.

I und

---

I understand that sometimes the case is more complicated and the overlay is needed to solve these. But what if the case is not complicated at all: then you are stuck with an overlay that adds only confusion and does not add a thing. Why isn't it possible to choose if you want to have the overlay or not....

The overlay could be an automatic update filling out the city and country or in my case the country. I want to switch it off!

@ikoshkin

So I finally changed my checkout to new checkout.

1) My question is why do we have extremely large boxes for Shipping and Credit Card Info rows? For me a single row box is good enough and it is taking too much of screen space (bad from UI perspective).

2) I have been an internet shopper for 15 years now and I have to say I have never seen such weird looking checkout...To be sure I checked out few sites and attaching samples here, please take a look, compare with it and tell me why you guys trying to reinvent things that already has been invented by gazillion companies?

Sample-1 Polo Ralph Lauren (The best in my opinion)

https://imgur.com/a/Khqewkt

Sample -2 Walmart

https://imgur.com/a/Y9kXrRT

Sample -3 Costco

https://imgur.com/a/Z6VJNd8

Sample-4 Jet.com

https://imgur.com/a/IC4fOLQ

Hopefully you will see my point that none of them look as weird as cs-cart, you will not see big boxes for Shipping and Credit Card.

@ikoshkin

So I finally changed my checkout to new checkout.

1) My question is why do we have extremely large boxes for Shipping and Credit Card Info rows? For me a single row box is good enough and it is taking too much of screen space (bad from UI perspective).

2) I have been an internet shopper for 15 years now and I have to say I have never seen such weird looking checkout...To be sure I checked out few sites and attaching samples here, please take a look, compare with it and tell me why you guys trying to reinvent things that already has been invented by gazillion companies?

Sample-1 Polo Ralph Lauren (The best in my opinion)

https://imgur.com/a/Khqewkt

Sample -2 Walmart

https://imgur.com/a/Y9kXrRT

Sample -3 Costco

https://imgur.com/a/Z6VJNd8

Sample-4 Jet.com

https://imgur.com/a/IC4fOLQ

Hopefully you will see my point that none of them look as weird as cs-cart, you will not see big boxes for Shipping and Credit Card.

Hi

I fully agree with you, the big boxes with the green colors are a terrible solution, the simple checkboxes that everybody understands were 1000 times better / efficient. I wish I could switch back.

Besides that there's the sudden obligatory shipping cost checker that for me has no use whatsoever, my shipping cost is not defined by location but by order volume, can't switch this off either.

It has been reinvented, but to my opinion it does not work.

Hi

I fully agree with you, the big boxes with the green colors are a terrible solution, the simple checkboxes that everybody understands were 1000 times better / efficient. I wish I could switch back.

Besides that there's the sudden obligatory shipping cost checker that for me has no use whatsoever, my shipping cost is not defined by location but by order volume, can't switch this off either.

It has been reinvented, but to my opinion it does not work.

I agree I have learnt from Amazon prime, I offer free shipping on everything on my site, the shipping box has absolutely no use whatsoever...

I agree I have learnt from Amazon prime, I offer free shipping on everything on my site, the shipping box has absolutely no use whatsoever...

But it can't be switched off....

And now?

Qbasix, on 17 Sept 2019 - 1:44 PM, said:snapback.png

I believe most people are using the Deprecated add-on checkout

Actually, it's not the case. The majority of those who use 4.10.x, also use the new checkout (even despite having to enable it manually after the upgrade). Of course, there are also people who haven't upgraded to 4.10.x (and may remain on very old versions), but we haven't noticed a decline in the numbers of those who upgraded either.

You may find that your statistical feedback from CSC installs are "colored" in that, expert webmasters tend to turn off the "help us improve" function whilst beginners may not even know that it is there, nor realize the new checkout may be putting off customer. You should listen to your experienced csc users, (those posting here) . Your statistics will be very subjective given all influences.
We turn it off.. thus you would not know that our install has not been upgraded until this is fixed.

You may find that your statistical feedback from CSC installs are "colored" in that, expert webmasters tend to turn off the "help us improve" function [...]
Your statistics will be very subjective given all influences. We turn it off... thus you would not know that our install has not been upgraded until this is fixed.

I understand why you turn off statistics. I do it too, whenever and wherever I can.

But working in a software company has taught me that by disabling statistics, I give up on one of the opportunities to improve the product. While qualitative data (such as separate forum comments) can give food for thought and lead to improvements, quantitative data (such as statistics) is an absolute must before major changes and developments.

Even knowing that, I still disable statistics in all software, knowing full well that without my input to the statistics, devs might focus on other aspects of the software.

The new checkout is a mess. It's 2 steps back. Here we go:

I start, like most people, on the left, so I enter my city. I get a huge, ugly looking popup that feels like an error message or warning. For some reason, the city field has up and down arrows in them.

The checkout doesn't accept my city, because the country selected is the US. So I choose my country, and now checkout empties the city I just entered.

I think 20% of my customers will now already be gone.

Under customer, I can only enter address. What is this? Street + number? Everything?
Hmmm the zip code has again up and down arrows in it's field. I fill the fields out. My first thought is, where do I enter my city? Oh wait I just did that at the top. But wait, my billing address is different. Now what?

Aaaah I have to scroll way down to under the payment methods. Here I can enter a billing address. The checkbox is on the far right.

And then I have to accept the terms and conditions. But where is the checkbox? Ah this one is on the far left.

Guys - face it. It's still quite messy. This leaves the question: why don't you just copy the big guys who got it nailed? It can be so easy.

Either way, I hope you can continue to make edits and improve it.

Concerning shipping: just like some people already stated here, we also just use country and order value to determine the shipping costs. This simply is by far the easiest to configure and understand for customers, and this is how just about every store I know does it. So to ignore this and configure things for much more complicated setups, is simply silly.